cooking thread...

A quick bit for the chilly heads out there. This year I grew 18 different varieties of hot peppers ranging from mild to the current Guinness book world record holder. I've made sauces in the past but much prefer a simple pepper mash & let the peppers speak for themselves. Last week I had my first big harvest & was eager to get cooking.

Pepper mash is as follows (per 100g of peppers)

60ml of vinegar

1 tsp of honey

1/4 tsp salt

That's it, honey can be substituted & whatever vinegar you like, I used apple cider as a buddy makes his own & he keeps bees as well so I get some great honey from him

11951305_1008997665788572_43505295016049

The big pile is a combo of Bhut Jolokia's & Naga Jolokia's(Ghost peppers) & these are the base of my mash

11224589_1008997972455208_32754163693484

These little devils are called Moruga Scorpions & can be as hot if not hotter than Ghost's

10354758_1008997749121897_69713900662306

These bad boy's are the Carolina Reaper, the current world champ according to Guinness. Stupid hot but also have quite a good taste & aroma. All the other peppers in the first picture would not be making it into this mash, their time will come later at the next harvest. So all told I had just over 300g of peppers going into this batch, now the time comes to de-seed these. Some folks leave the seeds in but I find them bitter so I remove them & use them in the years to come. Try to leave as much of the pith/placenta in the pepper as possible, & this should go without saying wear gloves, you may have to change them out a couple of times as the oil from these peppers can eat the gloves.

11986979_1008998535788485_54579666355337

Add all your ingredients & blend, I use the "chop ice" to get everything moving and finish with just high speed to blend it out (about 2 min total). I've been doing this for over 20 years & have dedicated cookware for this, trust me you don't want to use them for anything else. Another point don't cook these inside your place unless you have a good exhaust fan, you will feel like you've been pepper sprayed. On the stove top or camp burner I set mine to 120* to slow cook & reduce total volume by 20% (usually 1.5-2 hrs) always stirring to prevent scorcing (wear gloves for bursting bubbles)

11222969_1008998775788461_68922247113467

All that's left is to sterilize your jars & utensils & waterbath after jared

Edited by ckewley

If anyone is in need of a good frypan these are the best I've encountered. Never been happy with the durability of no sticks until these and they are a heavy weight pan and do not warp , sit flat and very even heat, closest thing you will find to a seasoned cast iron. Check the reviews, don't think there is a bad one. There is a 10 " as well.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/heritage-rock-non-stick-frypan-12-in-1427073p.html#.VfHmrzZRFMs

Ckewley, I've been looking for a source for reaper seeds! All I seemed to find were shady websites or those in the U.S. Etc.....

I'd love to grow these guys! I'm a hot pepper guy and would a chance to try em!

If you happen to have a few seeds you would mind sharing I'd be glad to send you some $$ for em!

G

Im a pepper fan as well and I am very jealous!!!!

My mouth waters just looking at them?

Ghost pepper is as gnarly as I have went and it was in a sauce for wings. I ate 12 and holy man!!!! Talk about heat! I asked about the sauce(chef is an old high school chum, and he said he only had 3 or 4 dimes in the pot.

That stuff is hot and it lasts along long time. At first I almost thought I was gonna suffocate lol.

We brought home 6 and left em on the counter for my uncle who came home drunk from the bar????

Ah i wish i woulda videotaped his reaction after 3 wings, priceless

If anyone is in need of a good frypan these are the best I've encountered. Never been happy with the durability of no sticks until these and they are a heavy weight pan and do not warp , sit flat and very even heat, closest thing you will find to a seasoned cast iron. Check the reviews, don't think there is a bad one. There is a 10 " as well.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/heritage-rock-non-stick-frypan-12-in-1427073p.html#.VfHmrzZRFMs

Tks for that Dave. I noticed them in the flyer this week and was wondering how good they are. A five year replacement warranty says loads.

Cheers

A quick bit for the chilly heads out there. This year I grew 18 different varieties of hot peppers ranging from mild to the current Guinness book world record holder. I've made sauces in the past but much prefer a simple pepper mash & let the peppers speak for themselves. Last week I had my first big harvest & was eager to get cooking.

Pepper mash is as follows (per 100g of peppers)

60ml of vinegar

1 tsp of honey

1/4 tsp salt

That's it, honey can be substituted & whatever vinegar you like, I used apple cider as a buddy makes his own & he keeps bees as well so I get some great honey from him

11222969_1008998775788461_68922247113467

All that's left is to sterilize your jars & utensils & waterbath after jared

Awesome.

I have a friend who makes his very similar, simply called "Ya Man!"

Dangerous stuff. :) I love it!

Ok come on, need the whats in and the how longs. Man, I want some of those peppers.

Nice work.

Well the Jalapenos were split length wise, seeded and filled with cream cheese.

I then stacked the halves on top of each other, cut sides up and wrapped with a full piece of semi cooked bacon.

Is it a good method, I don't know? I've never made them before but I have eaten them....yum!

The salad is just pasta of choice (usually rotini or fusilli), with green onion, celery, thin diced carrots, blanched broccoli florets, artificial crab meat and cherry tomatoes tossed in Italian dressing. I seem to change every time I make it. I'll sprinkle sun dried tomatoes on top with some fresh grated Pecorino Romano and fresh cracked black pepper on the plate.