cooking thread...

Back to Old Ironmaker, you got THAT right. When it burns with a blue flame in the spoon, that's a good batch.

Doug

Don't you need to distill it to get the alcohol that high, I always thought that about 15 per cent or so was as high as you get, higher than that the alcohol kills the yeast and fermentation stops.

The problem with cooking is that eating makes me tired after consuming.

Four large chicken breasts marinated for 30 hours in pineapple juice with various spices before smoking with maple wood for 50 minutes.

Ahead on the BBQ was a medley of red skin taters, Yukon golds along with onions, carrots and the last of my fresh tomatoes. Plenty of fresh black pepper and garlic along with the last bit of coleslaw dressing, I hate waste. Turned out pretty damn yummy. Chicken was lovely and very flavourful and very moist. A very strong and flavourful pale ale with lots of hoppy start and finish was just right for the smokey and acidic flavours of the chicken. The tater medley was brilliant, but I had to excuse myself from finishing all of it.....sadly!

10454914_1519208431673219_16747955665021

11924739_1519208465006549_12157906501431

Chicken was on the menu here as well. Some more of that buck a pound stuff (factory chicken) I bought a bit ago. This was a package of drumsticks, nice meaty ones for sure. Into my (*&%$%^#^&**((^%$$^&*) slow cooker they went, but this time on HIGH, with a quart of last year's canned tomatoes, a bunch of spices, and a can of Diet Ginger Ale. Four hours on high, and the chicken was very tender and succulent, but scored somewhat lower in the flavourful department. Two drumsticks was enough for me, so they were really quite a nice size, and did I mention they were CHEAP!!!!

The broth will make a decent soup base, and the six leftover drumsticks will make a meal plus meat for a soup. All for about four bucks.

Doug

Breakfast for us tonight.

Eggs, moose sausage, crepes, panfries with more eggs in them lol

Kids go back to school tomorrow! Then its chef time!!!!

And as for the plums, wow that wasnt cheap.

If ya dont hear from me im in jail. Frig i made alot of booze lol.

The yeast, meh, but holy hell on the sugar.

heap.

If ya dont hear from me im in jail. Frig i made alot of booze lol.

The yeast, meh, but holy hell on the sugar.

It's not that bad. With all our canning I go through some 20kg of sugar a month. I think it works out to $1.40 per 2kg store bag. But yes, one does go through a lot of sugar when making booze. Just finished harvesting the last of the elderberries.

It's not that bad. With all our canning I go through some 20kg of sugar a month. I think it works out to $1.40 per 2kg store bag. But yes, one does go through a lot of sugar when making booze. Just finished harvesting the last of the elderberries.

Yeah i suppose.

Sugar and dextrose are expensive though no doubt about it. Especially since im only gonna try the stuff, the rest goes to bartering

RE the plum booze MB2...

Many years ago, a buddy of mine worked at a cherry orchard for the summer. That year, they had a bumper crop. So many, that they were rotting on the trees. My buddy asked his boss if he could take some home as they were rotting and falling off the trees. He was given permission. We loaded up his Corolla's trunk to the brim, probably well over 50 lbs of cherries.

My Dad usually made his own wine every year, so we had all the equipment at home to grind a press the cherries. After pressing, yeast and sugar, the bottles of "cherry juice" were stored in the basement.

My Dad's experience making wine was strictly based on grapes, which have a higher sugar content, then cherries. We monitored the "juice", but is was not at all palatable, more like paint remover. The 20 odd gallons sat in our basement for the better part of 5 years!

One day, my Dad was cleaning up the basement and came across the juice. Still completely un-drinkable, my Dad decided to make something outta the stuff.

He hit the "Wine art" store, picking up concentrated sweetener, then the LCBO and a number of bottles of Alcool. (SP)

Mixed it all together and again, let it sit for about a year.

Well, we ended up with about 20 gallons of Cherry Brandy that, once tasted, didn't last very long.

The point of this long winded post, be aware of the sugar content of the plums and also understand that should your current brew not meet your expectations, there are ways to make it palatable, if you have the time and patience.

HH

Cool info headhunter!!!

Well with some help from the neighbours we pressed alot of friggen plums! Id say about 10 hours worth(and there is still abit to come)

Its all ready and sitting now.

Reminds me of my uncle, used to make this stuff with apples hes called smash. Whoa was is potent(the taste, no idea what the percentage was???maybe 15 or so? Tasted more like 70 though lol