Favourite Christmas Goodies

bigugli

Two favourites of which I don't get anymore cuz the people who made them have passed.

#2 - Grandma's Shortbread cookies and a glass of milk.

#1- Cold Dog's Nose ,A tradition German treat with a lot of rum in it. And if anyone knows a bakery where you can buy it please let me know

Check with some of the bakers at St Jakobs for your #1 pick.

I know some of the bakers make a wicked German poppyseed cake

Oh man these cookies are reminding me of Moms Christmas Rum balls and making me hungry. Basically a round short bread cookie with big chunks of walnuts and a big amount of Ron Bacardi sprinkled with icing sugar. She hasn't baked in years due to her health. Need to get the recipe for my wife. The only thing I bake is home made Pizza.

We always host a Christmas Party for friends, relatives & neighbors every year and my wife spends about 2 weeks prior baking every kind of goody imaginable. She makes up fancy gift boxes full of each & every cookie cake & tart and gives one everybody at the party.

Of course I have to sample a few of each batch as they come out of the oven, just to be sure their good enough for our friends :lol:

Tonight was to have been this years party but because of a recent surgery the party was cancelled and I hafta tell ya, I sure have missed the wonderful smells of baking goodies that normally fill our home this time of year.

We'll still be having Dianes annual Trifal on Christmas Day and that darned near makes up for all the missed goodies.

We always host a Christmas Party for friends, relatives & neighbors every year and my wife spends about 2 weeks prior baking every kind of goody imaginable. She makes up fancy gift boxes full of each & every cookie cake & tart and gives one everybody at the party.

Of course I have to sample a few of each batch as they come out of the oven, just to be sure their good enough for our friends :lol:

Tonight was to have been this years party but because of a recent surgery the party was cancelled and I hafta tell ya, I sure have missed the wonderful smells of baking goodies that normally fill our home this time of year.

We'll still be having Dianes annual Trifal on Christmas Day and that darned near makes up for all the missed goodies.

Sure hope Diane is feeling much better Lew.

Why not put the apron on and give it a whirl yourself. :dunno:;)

Sure hope Diane is feeling much better Lew.

Why not put the apron on and give it a whirl yourself. :dunno:;)

Thanks Brian, she's coming along nicely.

As for cooking, I'm actually pretty good in the kitchen myself it's just that we've been quite busy the last while but the Christmas feasts will begin again next year when everything is back to normal.

Just made some mint chocolate fudge. I can't figure out my grandmas recipe for maple fudge it's always messed up. Still try every year. I asked her for the recipe before she died and it was a pinch of this a spoon full of that , plain voodoo science. Anyone got a recipe for maple fudge?

Great thread!!

Thanks everyone for the recipes!

My absolute favorite treat during the holidays is my wife's oreo cookie truffles. She'll take an entire package of Oreos and chop them up in the food processor then add cream cheese icing and roll them up into balls that she dips in molten chocolate.......... MOTHER OF PEARL I CANT Wait!!!

Happy Holidays friends!

recipe?

Just made some mint chocolate fudge. I can't figure out my grandmas recipe for maple fudge it's always messed up. Still try every year. I asked her for the recipe before she died and it was a pinch of this a spoon full of that , plain voodoo science. Anyone got a recipe for maple fudge?

The trick with fudge is that is always a formula, so measuring correctly is important, I know my grandmother could make fudge by just grabbing some of this and a bit of that. It always worked. When I started cooking for a living I asked her for recipe and she said she didn't need one.

The funny thing was when she went to show me how she made it, her favorite pot for making it was full of soup on the stove. She grabbed a different pot and knocked together her ingredients and made the BEST chocolate SAUCE anyone who had it had ever tasted.

So she was measuring it and usually fairly accurately by how far up the ingredients went on the side of the usual pot when she put them in. Without THAT pot she was just a bit off and it wouldn't set, but made into milkshakes it was delicious LOL.

The other important thing for getting the consistency you want is to get the sugar mixture to the correct temperatures. So either being good at using the cold water and drop method or having a decent candy thermometer is a must.

Once you get it a few times you will shocked at how simple it is.

Edited by Canuck2fan

Cliffs Mincemeat cookies.

Thanks Cliff, they'er almost all gone. I added in the raisins with the Mincemeat.

Had company over yesterday and they were a hit, the down side I think I have to make another batch.

Mine didn't come out nice and round like yours but they were a hit.

Couple pictures

Had trouble finding Mincemeat, went to a few stores that were sold out, found this.

MincemeatCookies_zps58467091.jpg

MincemeatCookies2_zps1c863eb0.jpg

Almost all gone

MincemeatCookies7_zpsf107f327.jpg

They look great! Glad to pass along the recipe to you and that everyone enjoyed them!! Well done!

Cliffs Mincemeat cookies.

Thanks Cliff, they'er almost all gone. I added in the raisins with the Mincemeat.

Had company over yesterday and they were a hit, the down side I think I have to make another batch.

Mine didn't come out nice and round like yours but they were a hit.

Couple pictures

Had trouble finding Mincemeat, went to a few stores that were sold out, found this.

MincemeatCookies_zps58467091.jpg

MincemeatCookies2_zps1c863eb0.jpg

Almost all gone

MincemeatCookies7_zpsf107f327.jpg

Ollie Bollen! Making a batch tonight with cinnamon sugar :)

G

Two days before Christmas, one of the co-workers at the "clock" would come around work with a big roasting pan full of fresh ollie bollen and a bowl of icing sugar to share with every one.

What the heck is ollie bollen :dunno:

Help a nuff :whistling:

A dutch donut with raisins and icing sugar. Guess this is where the dutchie donut came from?? Nice job on the cookies!! I've had a few of Cliff's Mincemeat cookies over the years, they are awesome!

Edited by fishnsled

My favorite was my Mom's fruitcake. Her pork hock stew and meat pies were to die for.

My Mom has advanced Alzheimers and all her recipes (at least all my favorites) are all locked up forever in her mind. Any baking that I watched my Mom do for XMas was done without a recipe. It was all by habit. When it was baking time in our house she would be at it for days on end. I remember her making 250 meat pies in a weekend.

A dutch donut with raisins and icing sugar. Guess this is where the dutchie donut came from?? Nice job on the cookies!! I've had a few of Cliff's Mincemeat cookies over the years, they are awesome!

Thanks Fishnsled,

My wife is telling me to go fishin, I'm making a mess in her kitchen. :D

Now to find a ollie bollen recipe :w00t:

I'm out-a-here with my rod stuck up my%&$%, she's pissed :w00t:

My favorite was my Mom's fruitcake. Her pork hock stew and meat pies were to die for.

My Mom has advanced Alzheimers and all her recipes (at least all my favorites) are all locked up forever in her mind. Any baking that I watched my Mom do for XMas was done without a recipe. It was all by habit. When it was baking time in our house she would be at it for days on end. I remember her making 250 meat pies in a weekend.

Sorry to hear that about your mother. I am thankful that in our household life centered in the kitchen. Long before my grandmother developed alzheimers and dementia, I had already learnt and mastered most of Gram's old favourites. Part of growing up meant sitting yourself in the kitchen to "help" Gram with the baking. At 5 or 6 that meant "testing" the batter and helping to decorate the cookies, making your own personal sticky bun, and scraping the bowls clean when all was done. Man, what a sugar fix that was. By age 13 it meant you were doing the mixing and kneading of the dough, and shaping the loaves of bread when Gram's arthritis started to bother her hands.

Going to the meat shop to pick out the biggest and best turkey and ham under My Gram's watchful eye and helping her prep the beast for the oven.

Same went for Swedish meatballs or cabbage rolls. There was/is no recipe. it's all about taste and texture.

I'd give up everything just to relive one of those Christmases with my Gram

I do have all the techniques down path but not the recipes!!! I was also the Taste Tester. I do remember saying that I wasn't too sure and that I would need a bit more to be sure. I seemed to have the touch of how much ground clove to add into the meat pies!!

Edited by wallyboss