any open water in kawarthas dec 5/2014

rooz

Took a drive out island road (Port Perry) yesterday afternoon some small areas of open water on Scugog Lake but I couldn't see any areas where there was enougyh open water to actually do any trolling.

Sturgeon Lake, Goose Bay area is pretty much iced across although there did seem to be open water from the Long Beach area NNE of there. I haven't gone around the lake to check out launches, perhaps someone else can help you but it isn't looking too good right now.

I must be doing something wrong. Never trolled out of those seven trips, and was mostly using 8 inch black and orange bucktail. Had probably 6 or 7 follows, but I don't know. Noticed tons of panfish early in the year dead on the surface so I was thinking cause of the bad winter they were still recovering.

Where can I sign up for 'Lews Guiding Service'? :) :)

Other than 3 or 4 weeks chasing muskies up on Nipissing each summer, my fishing days are pretty well done Bill. I live right in the heart of the Kawarthas and never fished here once this year.

Now if you want to head to Nip next year, we can do some serious fishing :) .

Edited by lew

I used to fish lower Buckhorn for walleye open and in July with the family when the ladies would want to go up lol :P I have family just outside of Buckhorn and Bobcaygeon and a buddy with a cottage around there brings back memories ahaha. Never had any issues with the muskies, I remember going out one night with my dad and hooking into a decent one, the lady in the boat across the shelf from us was loosing her mind, she didn't know those toothy critters where in there ahahaha! :P not sure what rock she had been living under but oh well, at least she was having fun lol

I haven't been up Ice fishing for anything yet since it opened a couple years back, Hopefully the die-off(s) weren't too bad last year! I would like to get out in the area to some old and new spots!

Other than 3 or 4 weeks chasing muskies up on Nipissing each summer, my fishing days are pretty well done Bill. I live right in the heart of the Kawarthas and never fished here once this year.

Now if you want to head to Nip next year, we can do some serious fishing :) .

And I live on Sturgeon Lake and I'll bet I didn't burn a tank of gas fishing this year. Funny isn't it we live in the heart of fishing country and everyone else travels here to fish, we don't.

Ha....I live in the kawarthas a fish 2 or 3 times a week! You guys are missin out!

S.

I've been fishing the Kawarthas for 60 years Shane and I haven't missed anything.

I just prefer Nipissing where I can fish all day and only see a handful of other boats and when I catch a musky I know it's gonna be a good one and I don't have to wade thru a bunch of 30 inchers to get her. :lol::lol:

I've been fishing the Kawarthas for 60 years Shane and I haven't missed anything.

I just prefer Nipissing where I can fish all day and only see a handful of other boats and when I catch a musky I know it's gonna be a good one and I don't have to wade thru a bunch of 30 inchers to get her. :lol::lol:

Those 30 to 40 inchers are great on a fly rod, and add a whole new dimention to my musky fishing, as there not much fun on an 8 1/2 foot rod with 100 pound braid, thats where the Larry comes in though

And I live on Sturgeon Lake and I'll bet I didn't burn a tank of gas fishing this year. Funny isn't it we live in the heart of fishing country and everyone else travels here to fish, we don't.

If you don't mind the back deck of my boat, you'll be fishing way more next year. Unless that working in retirement thing gets in the way :dunno: