Thin Waterproof Gloves - Existence unknown

AKRISONER

Hey Guys,

So as a lot of us here, I am year round fisherman, and very little weather scares me away from time on the water. Unfortunately I have suffered from terrible circulation in my hands my entire life.

Its so bad that half of the time I my body is radiating heat, yet my hands are ice cold. I am that guy you see wearing gloves with a t-shirt in the winter time.

Anyways, long story short, I typically wear gloves whenever I can because if my hands are warm, I dont even have to worry about what else I am wearing because I am going to be comfortable.

This past fall, i found a pair of underarmour running gloves in the winter mitts and touques bin at the cottage, so I started wearing them a lot. These gloves are perfect for fishing. They are tight, have fantastic dexterity and with the rest of my cold weather gear on they kept my hands relatively warm. Here is the only problem, they arent waterproof.

Non waterproof gloves and fishing, dont mix that well.

Here is where I am stuck...ive seen some stuff advertised on hunting websites, for all weather shooting gloves, however everything seems to come with a liner in them that makes the gloves have no feel. Other waterproof gloves are big and bulky or they dont have a nice tight stretchy fitment. Ive looked at some motocross gloves, but even the ones i have found seem to have a big liner in them, because i guess for most people if its warm out, who cares if your hands get wet.

So here I am reaching out to everyone here, is anyone aware of some thin waterproof gloves? Maybe some of you hunters out there are aware of a stretchy waterproof glove? Price doesnt even matter! I see Underarmour has a few things, but even then they all seem to be lined and heavy.

Id literally pay whatever someone is asking to solve this life long problem of cold wet hands. It can make for a really really long day of fishing when i cant use my fingers.

Edited by AKRISONER

I tried to find what your trying to find... Hard search...

I've found I'm better off with a half dozen pairs of thin gloves and change em once they're wet... Thin leather seams best as it takes a while to absorb water...

My buddy uses those cheap little gloves you give your kids for $2 with heavy latex gloves overtop of them... He casts musky late in the year... He keeps about 20 pairs of those cheap gloves in a dry bag...

I have heard good things about "sealskinz" but have never tried them , they might be an option . Pretty pricey though !

When I'm fishing in the cold I use fingerless wool gloves , they surprisingly do keep you warm even when wet .

Ragwool will keep your hands warm but not dry...

I have spent upwards of 90 bucks on gloves looking for what you are talking about and no luck either.

The closest I have found are 7.00 bucks a pair the surplus store here in town. They are camo, but not military. They windproof and 95% waterproof... I carry 2 pairs and switch to the second one when the first ones get damp. I just looked at them and they have no name on them so I can't tell you what brand they are. The have plastic dimples on the fingertips for grip and all the fingers made with the same material, so they all stay warm.

Unlike my 50.00 waterproof hunting gloves, they are great except for the trigger finger on each hand is a different material and it stays dry but that part of your hand freezes because that part must have less thinsulate or something to make it more flexible...

I have found though that most of the dampness I get in any good glove is from being stupid and not using a towel to dry my hands before I put them back into the glove after I have been baiting up or dealing with a fish.

sealskinz or kast gloves might be worth checking out...i have both, good gloves but not sure how much "feel" you want

otherwise heavy latex and a good ragg wool glove

mountaineer buddy talks this stuff up, haven't tried it yet myself, might be worth the $12 experiment to you

http://warmskin.com/warmskin.html

I wear rubber/nylon/Gortex type waterproof work gloves that have dimples on the palms, they are thin and water proof, given to me by a pal that is a mover and wears them 12 months a year. Great dexterity in the fingers for fishing with them on. You would think you would get sweaty but the somehow you don't. Safety supply store is where I would look for gloves like that. Great handling Pike too in summer, would be great for any fish, I keep a pair in the boat. Green with beige palms.

Good surgical gloves under what you have, I believe they would be a better fit than the loose fitting disposables might be your best choice if you go that route.. For a few bucks they're worth a try.

JD

I wear rubber/nylon/Gortex type waterproof work gloves that have dimples on the palms, they are thin and water proof, given to me by a pal that is a mover and wears them 12 months a year. Great dexterity in the fingers for fishing with them on. You would think you would get sweaty but the somehow you don't. Safety supply store is where I would look for gloves like that. Great handling Pike too in summer, would be great for any fish, I keep a pair in the boat. Green with beige palms.

Good surgical gloves under what you have, I believe they would be a better fit than the loose fitting disposables might be your best choice if you go that route.. For a few bucks they're worth a try.

JD

Could I get a photo of this?

I still dont understand why no one has made tight fitting gortex gloves? Literally just made a thin pair of gloves out of a waterproof material?

For reference, the amount of dexterity I am looking for would be in the ballpark of Motocross/Biking gloves or those Mechanix canadian tire gloves.

The problem is that everywhere I look they seem to be insulated. I just want form fitting full dexterity gloves for fishing. Perhaps my biggest pet peeve is that when attempting to cast etc, the extra length on your fingers on insulated gloves constantly catches your line, hooks etc etc etc

Edited by AKRISONER

Could I get a photo of this?

I still dont understand why no one has made tight fitting gortex gloves? Literally just made a thin pair of gloves out of a waterproof material?

For reference, the amount of dexterity I am looking for would be in the ballpark of Motocross/Biking gloves or those Mechanix canadian tire gloves.

The problem is that everywhere I look they seem to be insulated. I just want form fitting full dexterity gloves for fishing. Perhaps my biggest pet peeve is that when attempting to cast etc, the extra length on your fingers on insulated gloves constantly catches your line, hooks etc etc etc

I am not sure that goretex material is stretchy enough to make form fitting gloves? If it was, I would think someone would have done it? It seems like such a no brainer. Yet 9 yrs and counting and I am still looking for them. Even with all the other materials and treatments out there that are definitely as good at being wind and waterproof, there still isn't anything close to what I am looking for.

I just went through my collection of winter steelhead gloves, I have bought over the years and I could have bought a top of the line pin and rod for half of what I have spent, just looking a flexible, wind and waterproof pair of gloves that I can wear all day. LOL.

I finally got smart and started bringing 2 pairs of the ones I posted about earlier, which is the closest I have come to a solution. The latex thing doesn't work for me because I sweat too much in the latex, which would be worse than getting a bit damp in the other gloves.

From my experience, tight fitting anything on my hands or feet, ends up making for cold extremities.

I have taken to using the Hot Paws brand of fleece gloves for cold weather centerpinning. They are not waterproof. I also use the chemical toe warmers, with the adhesive that holds them in place. I use them stuck on the inside palm of the gloves. My buddy sticks them on the inside back of the gloves. Either way, they keep our hands toasty warm for more than 4 hours. I also carry a towel on my fishing vest, and make sure the hands are dry, after landing a fish. the old adage of "an ounce of prevention, etc" is correct.

Always wondered about that stuff. Let me know how it does... I wonder if it's safe for gloves and being so close to your face and such all the time.

I bought it for my works boots against coolant and oil, it didn't work worth a crap. But water it worked great on the boots, just turns everything a pasty white color

I bought it for my works boots against coolant and oil, it didn't work worth a crap. But water it worked great on the boots, just turns everything a pasty white color

Like the actual material white, or the runoff? May be worth a cheap pair of gloves to make something that's really waterproof. That's my biggest pain when fishing in the fall/spring, cold and wet hands.

Think you're chasing leprechauns here. I own the kast gloves and although they're waterproof, they don't keep water off the surface. If it's cold enough outside, you're looking at a layer of ice freezing onto the glove, and you're back to being cold.

Only solution is to ensure that your gloves are taken off when landing a fish, and wiping dry before putting your gloves back on. At that rate, you can use any fleece, wool, or fancy glove you'd like that fits your requirements for warmth and dexterity

The latex glove solution may work, but it might be too many layers for me to deal with.

Edited by EasyFish