2010 ariens compact 24 snowblower

Rizzo

So I went to check out a used snowblower tonight that was supposed to be "brand new". On kijiiji it said bought last year and barely used. I had done a bit of research and when I got there it did not look like last years model! Had a chance to check it out now that I'm home...looks like it might actually be a 2010 or possibly a 2009. As far as condition it is in? It does look like the thing has been barely used. So its a barely used 2009 or 10 rather than a barely used 2013. Any thoughts on what its worth? Can't really find any comparables out there. We had previously agreed on a price, but don't know if I should change that because the machine is 3 years older than expected. I am supposed to go pay and pick it up in the am.

please contact the seller and express your concerns.

don't be a buyer who tells him tomorrow AM your not interesting in paying your previously agreed price.

just let him know you feel it is three years older than you expected and you are reviewing the value.

he may have others who are willing to pay his asking (or your agreed) price.

I agree 100% Steve. Was looking for some feedback here and then was going to call him IF I was going to bring up the price again. Would not do that to the guy tomorrow. These things go for $1200 new. We had agreed upon $800 which I thought was fair for a slightly used 2013. Just wonder if anyone has a thought if that is overpaying for a slightly used 2009/10

He very well could have bought it new in 2013, so it may be misleading using the model #/year.

Does he have the original bill of sale?

Also if it is in fact older you did agree on a price based on the condition.

If you agreed to a price you must think it's worth that price, no? :ninja:

Couldn't hurt to bring up your concerns though.

If you can get a serial/model number and look it up. See when it was made. . . Some people don't know how to store or maintain them and it can go either way.

I've had a Craftsman since 1989 take good care of it and it has never failed , Have had the carb cleaned once. last week it went on the first pull:)

Three years ago my neighbour tossed one 6hp 24 inch TMD if I recall correct. I took it on speck! Two flat tires and covered in dust and mouse crap. Oil was clean but wouldn't start. Emailed our in-house expert BIG CLIFF . . .i got the carb cleaned and ran like a charm, put tubes in the tires gave it wash and sold it for 350. I then asked another neiigbour why he had chucked it? Apparently he only used it two or three times and never brought it out again! I figured it's was poor storage on his part. And was selling the house.

I would not consider paying that much for it even if it is a 2013, $650.00 to $700.00 at most and it would have to be in mint condition.

Did you start it, check the belts/friction disc/wheel bushings/auger and impeller bearings/ Check to see how much slack/play there is in the auger crank case. Did you check the oil? Was it clean/dirty/ was the oil level at the full mark?

Make sure the electric starter is in good working order, a new starter for that unit is going to cost you about $200.00.

If he will let you bring it to a mechanic and you want to bring it to me this weekend I will check it over for you NO CHARGE! Doesn't guarantee something won't go wrong with it tomorrow but it's the best I can offer!

Hi Cliff, we did start it and checked the oil. It ran well and oil was clean. Started first pull. He figures 5 hours on the machine and I do believe it. I was just wondering if the fact that it was a "newish 2010" made it significantly less valuable than a "newish 2013" The fact it had no light is what tipped me off it was not a 2013. I had watched videos of 2013's on youtube before going to look at it. 2011 was the first year with a light, that's how I figure its a 2010 or 2009 (had an emissions label from 2009 on it so I know its no older than that)

Well I called him and he wouldn't budge on price, but figured what the heck its basically a new machine (even if it is 4 years old) I would buy it anyways. See a flyer before heading out and see I could get a new Cub Cadet for only $200 more - taxes in (with power steering, a light, bigger tires and of course a warranty!). Either way, $200 is $200 so I still head out for the 2010 (2009?) Ariens...hoping for some kind of sign. Miss my exit and get lost getting there. Sign enough? I'm not convinced. Then when looking at machine I notice one of the sheer pins is busted (now its daylight and I can see better). Buddy says no big deal and wants to put a regular bolt in there...I explain what a sheer pin does. This guy didn't have a clue. Now it makes sense why he told me he's getting rid of it the first time we talked on phone - because it takes 2 hours to do his driveway. I was kinda shocked when I saw his driveway the first visit...wasn't that big. He was prepared to sell me a really poor working machine (even though it was just a sheer pin). That was sign enough....apologized for wasting his time and gonna grab the new Cub Cadet Monday. Thanks everyone for your input

Regular bolts sometimes don't shear all that well, which leads me to believe the sellers a bit of a numpty. Although shear pins are a fail safe, what was he trying to ram through there. Obviously oblivious to his surroundings. What else didn't he maintain.

Doesn't take much to bust a shear pin.

One piece of gravel caught in the auger will do it.

I have a bunch of spare shear pins in stock just because. ;)

My driveway is gravel and early in the season I usually go through one or two before the ground freezes hard and a bit of a snow base builds up.

And no you don't want to use a bolt as you run the risk of destroying the transmission should another jam occur.

Back in the early summer I bougth this Briggs & Stratton snowblower from Sears brand new for $850, delivered to my door with full warranty. Regular price was almost $1,900. You always get the best deals when you buy stuff at the end of the season when they're clearing it out.

It's great - power drive (6 speeds forward, 2 speeds in reverse), power steering, rocker switches to change the direction and height of the chute (throws snow up to 35 feet!!), lights, heated grips, electric start, the works. They were 2013/14 models that were left over and Sears was clearing them out.

I've come to avoid Kijiji and eBay because to Fisherman's point, when you buy something that way you never really know how it was maintained or used / misused. You could get a good deal, or you could get a real headache. But if you shop for off-season bargains, you get the same kind of savings with no problems whatsoever.

Looking at new lawn mowers as I type this :-)

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

What.. you're not supposed to use bolts for shear pins.. now you tell me, been doing it for 25 years. Now of course I don't use Grade 5 aircraft bolts, I use the good mechanical hardware sold at Canadian tire, that would be lucky to be a grade 2.

And like Craig... I just bought a hedge trimmer for Leah for Christmas.. perfect time to buy summer tools! lol

Edited by irishfield

Off season bargains? What a novel concept! :sarcasm:

Thanks Craig and irishfield!

Excellent tip on the shear pins!

Of course not everyone is able to take advantage of them, considering cash flows etc.

But if you can, an excellent tactic to employ.

I certainly do the same, at every opportunity.

Edited by floatman55