Below freezing fishing lines?

mike rousseau

What line do you guys use when fishing below 0 and your guides are freezing...

It's for a small spinning rod for jigging walleye...

My fire line basically got shredded by ice recently...

Is nanofill any good... I'd like to stay low stretch as it's for jigging walleye and sensitivity is important...

Thanks

Edited by Mike Rousseau

I use Berkley Trilene Cold Weather 6lb. When the weather gets super cold it doesn't matter from my experiences the guides will get frozen up no matter what. Glad I have a heater so I stick it close to the rod tip. Not too close or your gonna have to redo your setup as I usually have too lol.

Cause I have 2 jigging rods I'm gunna spool 1 with fresh fireline for above 0 days and the other with mono for below 0 days...

Both 6lb

fluoro gives you more feeling mike.

your choice

i hate mono with a passion

even with my graph, my kids would get bit and you wouldnt even see anything on the rod. theres is like a 5 second delay. lots of missed fish if you cant feel the initial bite

Edited by manitoubass2

I fish outside on the ice 95% of the time. I primarily use 8lb Berkley XL for jigging deep-water lakers out of Simcoe.

I also have 8lb Berkley Fireline Crystal on one reel. It does ice up but not as bad as other super lines I've tried. I'd love to try Tufline Duracast if I can find a spool.

Edited by MJL

I fish outside 95% of the time. I primarily use 8lb Berkley XL for jigging deep-water lakers out of Simcoe.

I also have 8lb Berkley Fireline Crystal on one reel. It does ice up but not as bad as other super lines I've tried. I'd love to try Tufline Duracast if I can find a spool.

duracast is awesome but im almost thinking they went under??? i just grabbed 4 150yard spools cause thats all I could find locally. they said they wont be getting anymore either

i heard on here i believe that others were having a hard time finding it

Mike, I used to have the same issue while ice fishing - used to use Fireline crystal and it would get shredded. The only thing that helped even slightly was having bigger eyelets. Mono/floro was better in terms of not getting damaged by the ice, but still got frozen up in the eyelet sometimes.