Need help/Trailer issues

muskymatt

Makes sense for sure, I'll be taking the boat off in the spring and doing some measuring myself, but not before letting them know now that the problem persists.

No need to take the boat off, jack up the trailer with the boat on and put it on stands. You can move the axle around all you want if it's up in the air. Shouldn't take you more then 5 mins to see if there's a problem with the alignment.

I have seen light trailer wheels lock right up at high speeds with brakes

having a tire come to a dead stop at 100km can wear it a bit too

You still haven't told us how the tires are wearing Matt ! Edges chewed... entire tread worn... bald spots?

Bald spots = your brakes locking up.

without photos it is all just guess work

Under inflated Matt.

Check the PSI rating on the sidewall of the tire and inflate to that pressure.

My snowmobile tires are 55 PSI and my popup camper tires are 65 PSI.

Under inflating wears the outside edges while over inflating will wear out the middle.

Edited by DRIFTER_016

Under inflated Matt.

Check the PSI rating on the sidewall of the tire and inflate to that pressure.

My snowmobile tires are 55 PSI and my popup camper tires are 65 PSI.

Under inflating wears the outside edges while over inflating will wear out the middle.

I would agree except that I hit the Shell every trip to fill to 55psi religiously!

This is what's bothering me is that I'm anal about that(and dissing the laffs) and see no reason for the wear.

Then the tire may not be of the proper load range for the weight its asked to carry.

With the max pressure of 55psi the tire is likely a C or D range which are 6 and 8 ply tires; I would switch up to an E range rated tire that are a 10 ply which has an 80psi max psi.

Most trailer manufacturers will install the most economical tire they can that still falls legally into that weight class of trailer.

Dan.

Then the tire may not be of the proper load range for the weight its asked to carry.

With the max pressure of 55psi the tire is likely a C or D range which are 6 and 8 ply tires; I would switch up to an E range rated tire that are a 10 ply which has an 80psi max psi.

Most trailer manufacturers will install the most economical tire they can that still falls legally into that weight class of trailer.

Dan.

That is what I was thinking as they are a C rated tire. That may be the fix it, although my last trailer and the one that replaced this had C rated and were fine for like 8 years lol

Hi Matt

My trailer, now 3 years old, In its first year Had the same tire wear problem.

The wheel was wobbling. If you jack up the trailer and put a screwdriver on a couple of 2x6's, With the end of the screwdriver just touching the side wall. Give the wheel a spin and see if it turns true.

On mine one wheel was wobbling about 3/8" and the other about 1/4"

I was sure I had bent rims But I had very few miles on trailer and had not hit anything or bounced over any curbs.

I called the dealer but of course he said I must of hit something or the axle is bent.

I did a lot of measuring and took pics and videos.

But he was not satisfied and wanted a tire dealer to say the rims were bent,

I took the wheels off and went to McKee Tire here in Innisfil The tech put them on the balance machine and right away said it was the tires themselves and not the rims.

There were belts or whatever broken in the tire causing the wobble and wear.

After a call from McKee My tires were replaced by the dealer free of charge

Something to look at

Cheers

Rick