Your sleds!

Rod Caster

forgot to post about this, I am 26 years old so not an old timer and I play hockey 3 times a week and work out so im by no means in bad shape etc.

3 weeks ago i was up at the cottage with pops...after a long day riding we went to load up the sleds on the trailer back at the cottage. Low and behold one of the skis on my sled was one notch too far to the left on the runners so a lift and readjustment to get the door closed was required. Stupid me i reach from outside of the trailer, in across my body and lift the sled...during which i feel a pop/crack

My dad looks at me...you hurt yourself didnt you? yup...

dislocated my sacroiliac joint and my whole hip was stuck pronated forward completely out...spent the rest of the night on the couch, and the next 2 days in agony...went to physio on monday, nope sorry bud youre muscles are in too much spasm to reset it, keep trying to stretch and get things loosened up a bit.

Tuesday massage therapy, accupuncture and a bunch of celebrex

Finally wednesday arrives and i go to physio...a few yanks of my leg...doc puts me in a figure four and pushes my knee downwards...POPOPOPOPOPOPOP and my back is back in...2 weeks of physio later and im back to somewhat normal.

Moral of the story, dont be an idiot when lifting sleds cause they are bloody heavy and will eff you up.

ugh, that sucks man! Moving a sled by hand is never done in a comfortable position. After learning the hard way, I try to properly set my body prior to pulling/lifting my sleds.

Joey, don't worry about the cc's, just get a two-up :whistling:

I've been reading this post with great interest. I even made notes about repairs from you guys - the experts! Nothing beats experience. I've never owned a sled, but given our recent snow conditions I'm looking to buy a sled primarily for ice fishing. First if any of you guys know of a decent sled in the $2,000. - $3,000.00 range, please PM me. I would prefer something with reverse, hand warmers (I'm old), long track, fan cooled, a rear rack for gear would be nice, but, I am able to readily fabricate a rack. Must have ownership. I am presently looking at a 1995 Polaris 600 XT triple. 2,000 km asking only $1,500.00. The seller states -

Brand new seat $360.

New studded track $1300.00

New tank $140.

New windshield $120. That's $1920.00 in new parts! Is there something wrong with this picture?? He also says it needs clutch adjusted because it won't load up till you rev at 4,000 RPMs. I phoned the Polaris dealer - new primary & secondary clutch is $1,000.00, plus labor. At this point I think I would have a pretty reliable machine. Any comments are greatly appreciated as I have no experience with sleds. Thanx

Akrisoner, this is going to sound like your Mom talking, but you should be careful now. After the first injury, the next injuries will come easier.

I could write a book on the crazy situations I've been in after throwing my back out.

It really never occured to me that this could have happened just as easily out on the trails 4 hours from the cottage in the middle of the bush...Or even worse, while i was alone out on the lake with a stuck sled...could make for an interesting wait.

Sometimes it takes learning the hard way to realize that when lifting a snowmobile its no different than lifting a box or gas cans etc etc.

Chad could you expand a little on what to look for in the triples - finicky carbs perhaps? There's a few triples on kijiji here in Niagara. I did wonder why so many are being sold or cuz it's near the end of the season. I appreciate your input.

The center pistons tended to have oil-supply issues on some of them. It's one of those 'common problems' associated with triples, and from what I understand, moreso on Polaris'. I wouldn't be all too worried about it, just get the dealership to confirm that the oil is sending and you should be ok. Oh, and test the compression on all cylinders before you buy, if the center piston has/had recent issues, you'll find out with a compression test. Google how to do it before you purchase.

I had a one-up XLT (1996) and loved it!

Fine sled, but like Sinker, not necessary for ice fishing and heavy.

a quick kijiji search, I think something like this would be the way to go

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-snowmobile/belleville/1994-arctic-cat-jag-440-low-milage/1051014813?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Ohhhhhh only 20k from me.... After selling my last sled this year... My thumb is getting itchy..... Damn..... Happy valentines hun lol!........ Nope that won't work.....

Something though seems to good to be true at that price.....

G

Edited by Gerritt

Thanx guys I really appreciate your input as I'm a newbie searching for a sled. Chad & Sinker - thanx I have heard triples are a problem from others. So I deleted that one.

Chris Brock - thanx for the info for the 440 Jag - I'll take a closer look.

Hey guys I found this 1 in Trout Creek Pls give me your opinions.

1995 Bombardier Grand Touring 670 Rave asking $1,800.00

9000 km, 1 year old studded, long track

E start, reverse, heated grips front & rear

Seller assures me the track, chain oil, compression & gauges are all good

Starts very good, has ownership

Is there anything I'm missing? Is this the right sled for me used mainly for ice fishing?

Seat needs to be recovered no biggie for me.

Thanx for your input.

Decent price, reliable machines, but heavy....mind you, most 2-up's over 500cc are quite heavy. Maybe look for a 440 to 500cc fan-cooled 2-up around the same year? With fan-cooled, you just have to be mindfull of driving in warm (spring) conditions.

If you are not fishing back lakes, or breaking trails, I suppose weight isn't a major concern. I always liked the 1995Polaris indy trail 500 (488) deluxe, which is the two-up version.

Get a fan for sure if its your only mode of transport. I have a polaris 500cc 2 up LT liquid, but I also have an ATV so i have no need to run on glare ice. I'd really be looking for a lighter sled for ice fishing. The big sleds are great, but heavy as hell when they bury in a slush bed or otherwise get stuck. Only reason I have the sled that I do is that I bought it off my father-in-law for a really good deal. If you wait a little longer you can get some really sweet deals in march. Won't help you for this year, but good savings can be had!

Edited by porkpie

9000km is getting up there for a sled. The big fancy machines are for riding trails. For icefishing, you just need aa basic machine that is reliable to get from A to B. The lighter the better, and fan cooled if you can. That Jag is a great sled.

S.

You don't to be an astro-physicist/ NASA engineer to work on the older sleds !!! The new ones well .... That's where your degree from NASA comes in to play !!!!! Lol I just sold a 98 Yamaha vmax 500 that would have been great for an ice fishermen at the end of last season !!! I will keep my eye out for you guys I see lots of good shape sleds for sale in my area & while sledding myself !! Happy family weekend !!! Cheers

Thanx guys I really appreciate your input as I'm a newbie searching for a sled. Chad & Sinker - thanx I have heard triples are a problem from others. So I deleted that one.

Chris Brock - thanx for the info for the 440 Jag - I'll take a closer look.

Hey guys I found this 1 in Trout Creek Pls give me your opinions.

1995 Bombardier Grand Touring 670 Rave asking $1,800.00

9000 km, 1 year old studded, long track

E start, reverse, heated grips front & rear

Seller assures me the track, chain oil, compression & gauges are all good

Starts very good, has ownership

Is there anything I'm missing? Is this the right sled for me used mainly for ice fishing?

Seat needs to be recovered no biggie for me.

Thanx for your input.

I had this exact sled.... And sold it this summer. It HEAVY!!! I mean insanely heavy. Also known to burn up the piston on the muffler side. This is a common problem on these sleds and is exactly what happened to mine. New piston, new rings and a sleeve were needed. I would look at a different machine for ice fishing imho.

G

Ya, I wouldn't want to use a triple in slush, or deep snow. Now if you are mostly traveling packed trails, or lakes, then it would be less risky

I agree Chad. My old XLT (God rest her soul) was awful in snow more than a foot deep, and it was heavy! Super fast, fun sled but not ideal for ice fishing. Mine blew the pot on the primary clutch side, crank bearings were toast too.

I picked this safari up this fall for $500 strictly for ice fishing. It's a bit rough but runs and starts up mint, even has electric start. It does have a seat I'm working on getting recovered.

DSC_0211_zpsdgjbffdz.jpg

And a shot from coming back in after a tough day on simcoe

IMG_20150207_225641_zpsnnszutpw.jpg