Now that's a coincidence

lew

About 3 years ago I had a Generac automatic standby generator installed to run my house when the power goes out. Great unit that comes on automatically when the hydro goes out and then turns itself off when it comes back on.

Six o'clock this morning a TV show comes on about the benefits of Generac generators so I pour a coffee and settle in to watch it. Sure enough, 5 minutes into the show and my power in the area goes out, the house goes dark for 10 seconds and then the Generac fires up and I'm good to go.

Couple other folks on the road also have Generacs and their all purring along nicely too.

Don't know how long the power will be out but it sure is nice to be covered.

Talk about a crazy coincidence :lol:

I woke up then to take off my CPAP mask as it is hard to breathe when the electricity goes off...

I got up and made a fire in the wood stove as we heat with both electricity and wood...

No sooner did I get the fire lit and on comes the electricity...

did your are area get hammered by snow last night Lew ? hope it's not tree on line probs

No snow here but a neighbour heard there was a car crash in Lakefield this morning that took out a hydro pole. Sadly they took the driver away in the air ambulance so fingers crossed for him.

Why do you lose power so often?

Actually Joey it's just the opposite, we almost never lose power, infact that's the 1st time it's been out for an extended period...7 hours...since we had the generator installed. Sure is nice to know I've got everything covered though when it does happen.

I don't have a whole house back up generator but I do have a quick disconnect on my furnace so I can power it off my 2KW Yamaha.

Last December 29th we had a prolonged outage with temps below -40 and over 100 homes and businesses froze up and had damage.

I was lucky and didn't have any freezing issues even though I didn't have the generator back then.

I keep my generator inside so I know it will start. Pretty sure it wouldn't if it was that cold out.

So what's the opinion of those who live in the area, if you don't mind commenting?

I'm only a few miles east of Upper Buck and when I bought this place nearly 5 years ago it came with a portable 6500 watt generator that plugged into an outlet on the outside of the house and worked well running all the basics but I had to be here to start it.

We have alot of ground water here in the spring and the sump runs alot for about 2 months. We were in town one day and the power went out in the whole area which shut off my sump pump. I rushed home and the water in the sump was only a few minutes from flooding my fully finished basement but luckily I was able to fire up the generator. Power was off for 2 days but I was able to prevent any damage and keep the house running.

I decided then though to invest in an automatic and have never regretted spending the money and it's good to know when the power goes out the generator will fire up automatically and keep my home running and fully protected.

In the country when the hydro goes out there's no water either if your on a well and that's important along with the furnace and everything else that requires power.

Only my opinion, and that's what you asked for, but if your gonna move to the boonies and need water and a sump pump, along with heat and lights, an automatic generator is a good investment.

002-23.jpg

Edited by lew

Thanks! I figured as much and I'd like the assurance of having power. Do you run yours off of propane, gas, oil, etc.?

Mine runs off propane but natural gas would work as well, don't think their available for oil but I could be wrong on that one.

Lemme know if you decide to go with Generac and I'll give you the name of the folks I deal with.

I bought a portable Generac a few years back and had the house wired so I could plug it in and run the well pump and the other necessities. Our power seemed to always go out, sometimes for extended periods of times in the winter. I live on the west side of Pigeon Lake and our power comes from the Fenelon area. I have never had to use the generator since I bought it. Go figure.