judge rules 3 year old can fish

kickingfrog

http://www.cbc.ca/m/touch/canada/saskatchewan/story/1.2818238

An ice-fishing dad who was accused of having too many lines in the water has been cleared by a judge because his three-year-old daughter was fishing with him.

According to a recent Spiritwood court case, in March, the man had been fishing on Turtle Lake with his daughter and there were four lines in the water.

Under Fisheries Act rules, anglers who are ice fishing can only have two lines in the water at the same time.

A conservation officer ticketed him, saying the little girl didn't have the ability to set up the icefishing rig, maintain it, watch it and retrieve fish.

The father fought the ticket in provincial court and won.

Part of his evidence was the Saskatchewan Anglers Guide 2014, which on its cover shows what appears to be a father helping his young daughter bait a hook.

No minimum age

Judge Dan O'Hanlon said the only issue to be determined was whether or not the three-year-old was legally fishing.

Reviewing the rules, he decided there's no minimum age limit for what constitutes an angler.

"Just because an individual is three years of age, and does not have the ability to do everything required when fishing, it does not mean that he or she cannot legally fish," O'Hanlon said in a written ruling.

He then found the father not guilty of the

lol

in ontario

it's not the rods

it's who reels it in

if you reel it in for your kid it counts against both daily limits, so you don't get to take the extra fish

if it is a handicap person then you can reel or help reel and not have it count against your limit

Edited by Terry

I'm of 2 minds on this. As a option to have a better chance for a young child to see/catch a fish, great. The more fun, the more they are likely to be a lifelong angler.

But as a means to increase your creel, I feel it is wrong.

For me, until my son could reel in his own fish I'd only keep my limit.

Legal and moral don't always mesh.

Putting 2 extra lines down because you've got a 3 year old on the ice seems like nothing more then a reason to fill the bucket.

I doubt the poor kid could even move in his snowsuit, lol.

Edited by BillM

Yup, what Wayne said.LOL

When I take the kiddies out, they have their one rod and that's it. They are not watching another line as they lose interest in the one they are using in about 15 minutes or so. Then it,s time to play in the snow or with the minnows.LOL

Edited by Brian B

How about trolling on the great lakes? I don't keep those fish, but I run the extra rods for my son.....he fights them as best he can, and I help where needed, but there is no way I'd let him set up the riggers.

S.

I think that's fine, my oldman did that with me when I was young. It's all about the kid having fun and in this case more rods = more chances at a big fat chinnie.

Edited by BillM

My kids started fishing around 3 or 4. I will say most functional children can and will land a fish with a little help. My 3 year old daughter landed he first walleye this spring, totally on her own until I grabbed the fish shoreside. That being said, i set up lines for her last winter ice fishing, and she could not reel in a fish with gloves etc. So her fish were released and I decided the better method was to assist her landing fish on my rods and of course they went towards my limit if I chose to harvest. So this is a tricky one. The lil one has rights bit those can easily be manipulated by poor moral judgement of an adult. Keep in mind this is no ice fishing rod. Its a 6'6 stick and my daughter is 3 and a half CCA5B188-4360-43D4-AC92-FCD83EFB825F-751 2467C78D-5B4D-4D3F-A7ED-7860A239DEE9_zps

don't agree with building laws that restrict honest guys...if somebody is going to poach they will do so regardless of what the regs are

I think 2 lines increases hook up opportunity for kids, if it's fun then they'll continue fishing later in life

yes, most kids don't have the focus to maintain two rods...so they get tipups instead

last winter somebody seemed to be having a family outing on the ice....there were 2 tip ups set for every person by the looks of it...and the kids had a blast running when a flag popped...they released plenty of fish and kept a few pike, perch and walleye and fried them up on the ice

that ticket seems like a cash grab to me..increase fines for more serious stuff, over limits, out of season, fishing in sanctuaries, etc

I'll have to dig up the picture... my son fishing at Kelso in Milton when he was 2 years old (and we had him tied to a tree ! lol). Gave him an ice fishing rod and he could bring them in on his own. Same deal with my nephews and nieces.. I taught them all how to fish on the dock in Temagami from 2 to 3 years old and they could reel them in themselves with the spincast push button reels.

Are we actually of the thinking that kids shouldn't be allowed to fish with the same rights and advantages as a grownup?

There is a CO in Saskatchawan the seems to think that way.

In my opinion, any child who is engaged in the fishing should be able to have their own rod(s). I think this should apply even if they need some assistance. Some inexperienced adults still need assistance.

I do think that putting an extra rod in for a kid who is not even paying attention to what is going on should not be allowed. The child should be involved in the fishing in order to count as an angler.

Are we actually of the thinking that kids shouldn't be allowed to fish with the same rights and advantages as a grownup?

no to me 100% same rights

and if you reel up a fish on my rod, it is added to your limit

if you help me reel in it's added to both our limits same rule for kids