Your thoughts on this over marine grade plywood

tb4me

Howdy all! Im looking at replacing the decking and the floor of my 18 foot smoker craft. I priced marine grade plywood but its $150 a sheet and most likely going to need to be replaced again in 7 to 10 years.. This stuff sounds too good to be true. Im not sure about pricing as of yet. I have a place in Hamilton that sells it and they are getting back to me tomorrow AM. This stuff looks awesome and the best part is I will never have to pull up a rotten floor again. No carpet no flooring at all. Any thoughts at all folks?

http://www.kingplastic.com/products/king-starboard/

• Made of the finest polymers available, using our
    proprietary K-Stran process for superior flatness
    and consistency.
  • Environmentally stabilized for harsh sun and tough
    marine environments.
  • Will not rot, swell, splinter or delaminate when exposed
    to humidity or water.
  • Precise tolerances ensure consistent color, thickness and
    density, even for special thickness gauges and custom
    order colors.
  • Easy to fabricate with standard woodworking tools and
    requires little or no finishing.
  • Available in eight standard colors to match or accent
    any gelcoat.
  • Unlimited custom/proprietary colors.
  • Durable matte-textured surface on both sides.
  • Easy to clean and never needs refinishing.
  • Edges finish cleanly and easily.
  • Forms easily for smooth curves.
  • Has passed the Federal Motor Vehicle Standard 302 fire
    test required for use in motor vehicles, including
    motor homes.
  • Available in large sheets up to 54” x 96” or 48” x 96”.
  • Custom sheet sizes available.
  • Shipped with a protective masking on one side.
  • Proven on thousands of boats and yachts.
  • Experienced boat builders and boaters know the King StarBoard® brand and trust it more than any other.

Sounds really good! I would be interested in price, but at the same time you get what you pay for so if it is a bit more and will save you time and money doing it again I would do it, also I'm sure that would be an attractive option to a potential buyer if you ever decide to sell, my wonder is what is considered thick enough? as it's not light material

Ive used similar stuff, and honestly dont think it will make a very good floor. The 4x8 sheets really sag a lot. I used similar sheets to build a huge composter at my work. It was 3/4" thick, and sagged quite a bit over a 16" span in the sun. Sure, it will never rot, but I dont think its great for a floor. It weighs a ton too BTW.

The stuff I used came from Taylors Plastics. Google them and compare, I didnt fully read your link. Starboard is great stuff for many other uses, but im not sure it would make a good floor.

Id consider using the "plastic" deck boards, they are tough, but still really heavy.

S.

I'm sure with the proper support sagging would not be an issue, just like a deck or a floor in a house if you are over span and under supported you're definitely going to get some sag as you would with anything

I would be skeptical of something being built right if you got sagging at 16" span there would have to be no cross bracing if that was happening IMO

Nothing sticks to Starbord. Its polyethylene similiar to plastic kitchen cutting boards. You won't be able to glue carpet to it. Its very slippery when wet so you cant use it without carpet. its good for cabinets and doors, but not for decks.

You would be better off making the deck out of exterior grade G1S plywod and putting a skin of fibreglass over all surfaces to keep the water out. Then glue carpet on the glass. Keep the water out of the wood and it will last a long time.

Edited by Canuck

We got about 5 sheets of the composite board to do the floor on my buddies boat, we tried it before cutting, stuff was havier than plywood and had a lot of flex, My buddy ended up selling it and went with plywood.

Like mentioned above, it will probably never rot but nothing sticks to that stuff, you can not glue carpet on it, its slippery in wet, cold weather.

Not suitable for a boat floor IMO.

I would go with marine plywood and apply a couple of coats of good sealer before gluing carpet on.

Why would you expect to have to replace a marine grade plywood floor in as little as 7 years? The wood floor in my previous boat was still solid after 14 years. My brother in law has been used it for another 6 years since then for a total of 20 years; he has not had to replace the floor.

I don't think that you would have to replace a marine grade plywood floor in as little as 7 years. The wood floor in my previous boat was still solid after 14 years. My brother in law has been using the boat for 6 years since I owned it. That is 20 years and counting with the original wood floor.

Edited by JohnBacon

Thats a good question..Its the carpets used in boats,My boat (while owned by someone other then myself) was stored outside. Even thou the cover was on it the floors didn't last long at all. He had them professionally replaced about 10 years ago and should have been torn up 3 years ago IMO. Its bad. I bought the boat knowing full well I would have to do this just looking at other options. I was worried about the weight issue. I will get a price tomorrow and let you all know..When I talked to her she told me they have a product specific for marine use that's slip resistant..We shall see what comes of this..

I'm sure with the proper support sagging would not be an issue, just like a deck or a floor in a house if you are over span and under supported you're definitely going to get some sag as you would with anything

I would be skeptical of something being built right if you got sagging at 16" span there would have to be no cross bracing if that was happening IMO

Trust me, it was built right.

The material I used was much different than the starboard, but I still can't see it being a good material for a floor. Its at least twice as heavy as wood too. I've done a few boat floors, and built a couple hundred houses, so I have a little experience in building floors.....I could be wrong....

Aluminum checker plate would be better IMO.

S.

I can't imagine why marine ply would need to be replaced so soon. Our boat at the cottage is at least 20 years old now, and sits at the dock all summer long, half of it uncovered. It then resides in outside storage all winter . It's solid as a rock. My last 2 lunds both had marine ply floors, one was 13 years old when I sold it and a big dude could do jumping jacks on that floor with no issues! The other is vinyl and I sold to a buddy and it's ten years old now and still rock solid! He stores it outside year round. If your concerned then seal the crap out of it first. If you bought it off someone that you don't know, then who knows the real story!

Trust me, it was built right.

The material I used was much different than the starboard, but I still can't see it being a good material for a floor. Its at least twice as heavy as wood too. I've done a few boat floors, and built a couple hundred houses, so I have a little experience in building floors.....I could be wrong....

Aluminum checker plate would be better IMO.

S.

fair enough since I don't know the properties of the material used lol, and alum would be but is also $$$

Forget the plastic board for the reasons mentioned - it will require a lot of additional support to reduce (you never eliminate) sagging, it weights a lot, and it is pricey stuff.

Marine grade plywood is the way to go. To maximize its life, do NOT cover it in carpet. Use sheet vinyl instead, which will greatly extend the life of the deck by keeping water away from the wood. Carpet absorbs water and just accelerates rot.

I once saw a boat with a floor redone with synthetic deck boards (as you would use for a deck outside your house). I have no idea how well it worked, but it definitely had a unique look to it.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

This is why I ask around...480 pounds for a 3\4 inch sheet is insane..I have decided to go with 3\4 marine grade ply.. What do you recommend I seal it with? Would a couple coats of varnish do the trick? Yes no more carpet, I will be going with marine grade vinyl so i want to be sure it sticks well..This is not something im going to start until after walleye closer in zone 17 so I still have time to get my ducks in order..I do know the gentleman that owned it from new and I have known the boat for many years now. I remember when he had the floors replaced, I wonder if they didn't use marine grade ply...It rotted fast..The combo of outdoor storage the cover and carpet did it in fast..

This is why I ask around...480 pounds for a 3\4 inch sheet is insane..I have decided to go with 3\4 marine grade ply.. What do you recommend I seal it with? Would a couple coats of varnish do the trick? Yes no more carpet, I will be going with marine grade vinyl so i want to be sure it sticks well..This is not something im going to start until after walleye closer in zone 17 so I still have time to get my ducks in order..I do know the gentleman that owned it from new and I have known the boat for many years now. I remember when he had the floors replaced, I wonder if they didn't use marine grade ply...It rotted fast..The combo of outdoor storage the cover and carpet did it in fast..

this is what i used over 3/4 good one side fir.....http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Tuff-Coat-Non-Skid-Coating/700772.uts use the proper primer as well.

20140712_175003_zpsyoywn2pd.jpg