2014 slow year for fishing?

The unstable conditions of the summer are the entirety of the issue. When cold fronts are coming through ever 2-3 days, the water never has a chance to stabilize and the schools of fish stay closer to the deep water sanctuarys and are very inactive.

The late spring should've been good to everyone but sometimes the fisherman tell the fish where they are supposed to be instead of finding them.

I think what bill said is bang on. I had some holidays in early august and it was when the weather really took an ugly turn. Cold, overcast, and windy, which played more mentally on me knowing the fishing would be tough. I Checked out some of the usual spots nothing was happening. So I took that opportunity to go off the board and spend some days scouting new areas and techniques and it ended up being an amazing few days of fishing ( largies, smallies, and walleye) I'm talking numbers and size all three achieved new personal bests both mid 5's for largies and smallies and a 29 inch walleye which on the tri- lakes is pretty decent. I went back out this Saturday to hit up some bass and was off the water by noon because I limited out and what was the point I had 16.6lbs for 4 fish.( which were all released of course.). Sometimes its better to quit when your ahead. Last year was great bass fishing, this year I have found it even better. I'm not finding them in pads or slop but weedflats in open water, but much deeper than last year. So I would say what ever your usual spots and presentations are, if your struggling, change it up, search for new water and try new techniques(as Bill M said), and the best part of it is for me, is that I just added 5 new spots to my milk run. It was definitely a confidence booster for me.

Fishing is definitely different this year...

Funny thing is weed growth is amazing here...

Musky are biting like crazy...

But walleye seam moody.... Not on the same spots... Not feeding at historical times... Not as many "big" walleye this year...

Other funny thing... All fish have been following bite windows like crazy this year... Very predictable....

Same with me, lots of work for fewer fish.

Last year the numbers of walleye caught by my fishing buddies and I were really good, with the only problem being lots of fish caught that were over the legal size.

This year started with good numbers but lots of smaller fishe being caught.

Now, like many others are saying, August has been really tough fishing. Some reliable spots just haven't produced at all this season, while the best fishing seems to be in some areas that typically don't produce.

The one constant has been Muskies, it's been hard to keep them off the line this year and I have lost a lot of worm harnesses to those toothy brutes.

It's has definitely been the most difficult year in recent memory for Lake Ontario salmon and trout anglers. A consistent thermocline never set up and Fish have been scattered throughout the Lake and have been tricky to pattern. The proof is in the pudding if you check out results from all the major tournaments both Ont and NY. Many of.the best full-time pros have struggled to get 5 or 6 required mature salmon for their box.

On the plus side the bait (alwive) is flourishing.

The walleye fishing was stellar in the spring but up north in Haliburton the rain came again & again and high water & cold temps and it sure changed fish locations & their feeding habits specially the lack of weeds !!! But man I have got some real tank smallies and have had to work for them but that's fine with me and has made it a challenge for sure !!!! The lakes and area I fish the fish are deeper for sure this year but once you get into a good program it's been awesome !!! Keep changing things up and trying areas is the key

This year I really learned to use my electronics to find fish .... and then I worked on my drop shot technique a lot. I started really tweaking the settings on my graph and did a lot of research on how to actually KNOW what I'm looking at. In terms of the drop shot, I dialed in my presentation, which required learning some new boat control skills.

It paid off big time. I caught my personal best walleye and smallie on the St. Lawrence this year.

Its funny how the smallest things can make all the difference.

Been a good year however the fish are in different pattern this year much shallower than in a more typical summer. I use slower presentations and choose my days more carefully. The flip flop in weather has been far more pronounced this summer but I try and go out on days preceeded by some stable weather.

Edited by wall i

It was a tough year , the 2nd week in July on the south shore of Nipissing the Big mother bass were still on the nest. I couldn't believe it. Pickerel were few and far and not even the perch were great. Could also be because of the ghost gill nets they've been finding as well though.

Could also be because of the ghost gill nets they've been finding as well though.

They're still finding nets? I went to South River at the mouth once this year in the spring, normally walleye everywhere there. This year it was almost exclusively a sheephead festival. We are so fed up with the lack of good fishing there we have found a new lake for our spring/fall trip. Too bad for the lodge owners, unfortunately if nothing is done about the poor fishing they are going to really suffer.

Edited by thegrumpyfisherman

I think it's just a matter of finding the fish this year. It's been a messed up cold/late summer. I think the fish are also confused by it.

I've caught all my biggest fish this season while fishing for a completely different species. Biggest small mouth I caught trolling for musky, biggest pike I caught fishing for top water large mouth, biggest perch I caught while fishing for small mouth. It's just a matter of throwing away your usual techniques from other summers and trying new ones.