Pics of backyards, gardens, lawns, activities etc.

Rod Caster

Hey, post up pics of your yards if ya got 'em.

Looking down from my "man loft'.

Middle right, you can see a cedar rail/chicken wire fence. I had 11 rabbits until 9 escaped while I was away at work. Luckily, my good breeders stayed.

IMG_20140818_071306_zpsaea24b69.jpg

My garden. We only had time to do a small section this year. First time with a garden and its exploding! Seriously, our squach, pumpkin, peas, beans, spinach, tomatos and kale are so thick, that weeds are barely growing around them. I've already started giving away stuff.

IMG_20140819_083958_zps8159903a.jpg

IMG_20140819_084013_zps3b0b67ef.jpg

Tomatos

IMG_20140819_084805_zps19659b1b.jpg

Squach and pumpkins taking over!! They will have their own garden next year.

IMG_20140819_084820_zpsf3f220af.jpg

Picked about 20lbs of Chantrelle mushrooms. Sold some, froze and pickled the remainder.

IMG_20140818_092841_zps8580b18a.jpg

IMG_20140817_173118_zps4f4e0c51.jpg

IMG_20140817_161700_zps4a508e91.jpg

when the zombies come to take over, if you've got enough ammo, I think you guys will be pretty self sufficient there

that's a little piece of paradise you have there, you're lucky, the GTA sucks

do those wood piles dry well like that? that picture is looking west?

Edited by chris.brock

Thanks Costa!

Chris, the 'Round Houses' work great. I only had two months to cut, split, pile and dry 14 cords last year and it actually worked out... I was sure the wood would still be wet. I like the way they look and they are easy/quick to build.

Yep, looking west.

Bring on the zombies and citiots... I could use a hand with some chores. Skinny jeans not recommended.

What a little piece of heaven there. Too much maintenance for me to handle with my bones now. If I could I'd show a picture of our yard. It is about 60KMS deep, our rear neighbours are in NY. We live on Lake Erie. A bass trip takes me about 20 seconds to get to my favorite spot. And maintenance free!

you've been busy! nice job. So did you have a supper of fresh specs and chantrelles?

Haven't went spec fishing in a while. Plan was to go today, but it's quite miserable outside today.

After a few beer last night I downed one of those pickled chantrelle jars....damn good!

:worthy: Wow, your garden looks amazing! The only wild mushrooms I know enough about to pick are puff balls, I try to find one or two every year and dehydrate them, they are so good in soups, stews or sauces. They are also amazing when pan fried in butter when fresh! They should be coming out anytime now! I wish I knew more about the other mushrooms that are available, I envy you!

Some things you might want to consider adding to your gardens that I find very useful: asparagus, mint, and horse radish and rubarb. I can supply starters of each if you need them and would be happy to drop them off next time I visit my daughter.

Thanks for starting the thread!

I believe I got that pail from my parents or randomly. never tried it for wine.

I'm trying to cultivate wild Blewits and will eventually get those shitake and oyster plugs. Oysters are my fav!

Cliff, I'd very interested the asparagus. We have a separate area with rhubarb but with the new baby we never used it this spring.

I believe I got that pail from my parents or randomly. never tried it for wine.

I'm trying to cultivate wild Blewits and will eventually get those shitake and oyster plugs. Oysters are my fav!

Cliff, I'd very interested the asparagus. We have a separate area with rhubarb but with the new baby we never used it this spring.

I have lots if you need more. You have the perfect spot fot the logs :) shade and water.

Will bring some clumps of roots up next time I come up to visit my daughter! Should be in a couple of weeks. You will want a raised bed if you can, lots of compost and patience, it will be two years before your first real harvest 3 or 4 years before you get a REALLY good one.

Anyone else want horse radish or mint, let me know!

Cliff, you have to try growing mushrooms in hardwood logs shiitake and oyster.

I have four logs going now no shrooms yet but looks promising by the fall.

Once they catch on the logs last 4-5 years.

PM me for more info if you want. :)

PM sent, I would love to learn how to do it! Thank you so much!

Chad, I would love to learn how to grow edible shrooms, not the BC seeing pink Elephants strain! It is very damp here on the lake, also there is a woodlot out back that is very wet and shaded. Big Cliff maybe you might be able to copy and paste the PM from ketchinany, or you could forward me that PM please ketchinany. I can't bring you any veggies but could arrange a gallon of homemade wine to make it your way.

There are some 'pink elephant' type wild mushrooms on my property but I stay away from that stuff.

If my 'Blewit Burrito' works, I'll make a separate post... I'm worried my compost conditions aren't proper. You can Youtube blewit burrito and there is a good video tutorial!

sorry to hijack Chad's thread but a ?? for Cliff, a raised bed for asparagus ? I planted some in a dug row this year and nothing. They were 1 year crowns and I should have had some shoots come up but nada. Any idea what I did wrong ? Got the crowns at evergreen brickworks if that makes a diff. Next time I'm buying 3 year crowns if I can find them. tia

and your place is coming along nicely Chad. I can see canning for days on end in your near future lol.

sorry to hijack Chad's thread but a ?? for Cliff, a raised bed for asparagus ? I planted some in a dug row this year and nothing. They were 1 year crowns and I should have had some shoots come up but nada. Any idea what I did wrong ? Got the crowns at evergreen brickworks if that makes a diff. Next time I'm buying 3 year crowns if I can find them. tia

and your place is coming along nicely Chad. I can see canning for days on end in your near future lol.

I'm not sure what you did wrong, plenty of factors involved. I built a bit of a raised bed for mine, it's just easier to keep it weeded and it seems to thrive in well drained soil.

I started my roots in a bed of good organic compostand covered them with about 3-4" of compost. Once shoots started showing I slowly built the bed up by adding more compose an inch or two at a time until the roots were 6-7" deep.

I didn't harvest at all the first year, the second year I just did a light harvest then let it go to seed, now I harvest every year until about mid June then let it go to seed.

Add a couple of inches of good compost every year and you should be good to go. I only have a little patch 2' wide by 12' long and I get so much out of it that we are constantly giving it away to the point that the neighbors get tired of it.

thanks Cliff. It's planted at my cabin and I don't get up there as often as I'd like so that may be contributing to the problem. Will try again next spring. Would love to get some established so it can hang around for the next 20 years or so ;)

Edited by woodenboater

I'm not sure what you did wrong, plenty of factors involved. I built a bit of a raised bed for mine, it's just easier to keep it weeded and it seems to thrive in well drained soil.

I started my roots in a bed of good organic compostand covered them with about 3-4" of compost. Once shoots started showing I slowly built the bed up by adding more compose an inch or two at a time until the roots were 6-7" deep.

I didn't harvest at all the first year, the second year I just did a light harvest then let it go to seed, now I harvest every year until about mid June then let it go to seed.

Add a couple of inches of good compost every year and you should be good to go. I only have a little patch 2' wide by 12' long and I get so much out of it that we are constantly giving it away to the point that the neighbors get tired of it.

Hey Cliff, we love asparugus too :whistling:;);)