What would be your best Laker trolling Lure

davey buoy

Hi guys,spent 5 hours trolling with dipsey's in the 40-60' range yesterday. We had two hits and nothing,I had a perch on a good size spoon lol.The fish were continuous in this range,never really stopped.

We tried spoons,different colours and sizes,swimbaits,cleos,and even a couple floating cranks.Running right through the schools according to the finder and using the dipsy chart adding approx 10' because of braid.We did change our line length off the reel,just to hit different ranges.

Whether your trolling,down rigging,dipsey's,what has given you the best results overall?.I guess your #1 go to lure.Would love to hear it,and maybe grab one or two of them .

Thanks for any ideas.

Edited by davey buoy

Dave not sure what that is that you use,but will look that up.Will check out the flutter spoon and moonshine bad toad.

Here is what I tried,suppose to be great Laker lures?,maybe they are,maybe not so much.They range from 4,5.6",thanks guys ,keep them coming !!!

IMG_20140818_170550_zps00252b11.jpg

It probably wasn't the lures fault the fish weren't biting. Sometimes they're on, sometimes they're not.. If I were you I'd utilize that rigger and drag it a bit on bottom. Crazy how the fish react when the bottom gets stirred up.

Set of Les Davis Cowbell gang trolls with meat out behind, hands down the best when times are tuff.

Ohhh yeah. My favourite spoons are Williams Whitefish and Wabbler's, but a nice chunky dace behind a gangtroll (trolled slowwww) is the cats meow (if we're talking down deep summertime)

It probably wasn't the lures fault the fish weren't biting. Sometimes they're on, sometimes they're not.. If I were you I'd utilize that rigger and drag it a bit on bottom. Crazy how the fish react when the bottom gets stirred up.

Will try that Bill,but,very little showing up at the bottom.We could go 15mins or more before we saw another on the bottom.Again maybe 4-5 at the most.

The fellow I was fishing with was jigging in the 40' range with a swim bait and that's when he hooked up.95% of the fish Sunday were in the 35-60' range.Never seen that many on the screen ever. lol.

Edited by davey buoy

24" lucky strike gang troll with a minnow following at about 18". Usually go bout 2.5 kilometers per hr. Some lakes copper colour is better, others silver. I use lead core rather than dipseys so u can work it. If its sandy botton dont b afraid of hittin bottom lots of times thats wen they strike.

Will try that Bill,but,very little showing up at the bottom.We could go 15mins or more before we saw another on the bottom.Again maybe 4-5 at the most.

The fellow I was fishing with was jigging in the 40' range with a swim bait and that's when he hooked up.95% of the fish Sunday were in the 35-60' range.Never seen that many on the screen ever. lol.

Sometimes they're inactive and won't chase a lure.

Seems like this was one of those days as they were keying in on your buddies vertical presentation.

here's a less typical laker spoon, for lakes with ciscoes (herring)

Mepps Cyclops in pink glo

if I could only have 1 spoon for all laker fishing, that would be it

I have had good luck Chris with a #3 cyclops in tiger for Pike. All most tried that. Pink Glo,will check that out,

There are lots of guys that will tell you they drag their balls and stir up the bottom. Yes it works well. Then, there,s the, tick,tick tick the bottom with the ball,and raise the ball.

Im not going to give to much info here (you,ll figure it out Dave im sure)

, If you read all the winter laker reports,you will get what Im talking about. CHASING, is the game here.

Lakers will hit a lure and hang on forever. You really need to watch the tip of the rod. (why I like to use longer rods in the 12-15 ft range) Any abnormal movement,you need to release the rod from the clip. Nothing like dragging a laker and drowning it. Like I said ,those little movements,can produce these. They never pulled the line from the clip. We also never put the line deep into the clip, unless were out on real rough water days. 70% of our fish this year and years past,never pulled off the clip. Terry can attest to this. .A couple of them.

003_zps04418a28.jpg

003_zpsa942fdbe.jpg

As for spoons.

Like I said,flutter spoons to start. They will work well while trolling .5-1.5 mph. When the fish are really active,we will troll at 2-2.5 and use NK,S or something like you posted. (I leave color selection to you).

Speed

Attach a spoon. Let out 5-10 ft of line . Drive the rod into the water til the lure submerges, and watch the lures action. If it,s not flipping over 3/4,,then your not getting the full effect of the lure. More speed is required. It needs to flip back and forth, not a lazy wobble.. It needs enough speed to give a flash or show it,s colors. Hope that makes sense.

On another added note,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Don,t pass on small body minnow baits in the 3-4 inch range. Killer at 1-1.5 mph..

Ok,think I gave you enough to go on for now,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Look forward to your progress.

Side note

I have yet to give my lead core set up a try this season. Too many boats out there. I dont need a boat crossing 50 ft behind us and ripping my line. Maybe during the last days of the season,I will give it a go. Thats where I,ll be asking questions on the how too.

Good luck out there. Im sure you will figure it out.

I have been cut off twice trying to post this up. Hope it comes out right.

Edited by Brian B

The wife and I were out last week with Dipsy's. She had the Cleo on and I had the Canoe, both tipped with minnows. We both had 2 six and a half pounders each in the boat with in 2 hours. We were trolling fairly fast. If they're not biting, I'll play with my trolling speed before swapping out spoons.

Cleo.jpg

canoe_36_l.jpg

Edited by Old Man

The wife and I were out last week with Dipsy's. She had the Cleo on and I had the Canoe, both tipped with minnows. We both had 2 six and a half pounders each in the boat with in 2 hours. We were trolling fairly fast. If they're not biting, I'll play with my trolling speed before swapping out spoons.

attachicon.gifCleo.jpg

attachicon.gifcanoe_36_l.jpg

Great info,like the look of those lures! Minnow as well.Thanks.

There are lots of guys that will tell you they drag their balls and stir up the bottom. Yes it works well. Then, there,s the, tick,tick tick the bottom with the ball,and raise the ball.

Im not going to give to much info here (you,ll figure it out Dave im sure)

, If you read all the winter laker reports,you will get what Im talking about. CHASING, is the game here.

Lakers will hit a lure and hang on forever. You really need to watch the tip of the rod. (why I like to use longer rods in the 12-15 ft range) Any abnormal movement,you need to release the rod from the clip. Nothing like dragging a laker and drowning it. Like I said ,those little movements,can produce these. They never pulled the line from the clip. We also never put the line deep into the clip, unless were out on real rough water days. 70% of our fish this year and years past,never pulled off the clip. Terry can attest to this. .A couple of them.

003_zps04418a28.jpg

003_zpsa942fdbe.jpg

As for spoons.

Like I said,flutter spoons to start. They will work well while trolling .5-1.5 mph. When the fish are really active,we will troll at 2-2.5 and use NK,S or something like you posted. (I leave color selection to you).

Speed

Attach a spoon. Let out 5-10 ft of line . Drive the rod into the water til the lure submerges, and watch the lures action. If it,s not flipping over 3/4,,then your not getting the full effect of the lure. More speed is required. It needs to flip back and forth, not a lazy wobble.. It needs enough speed to give a flash or show it,s colors. Hope that makes sense.

On another added note,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Don,t pass on small body minnow baits in the 3-4 inch range. Killer at 1-1.5 mph..

Ok,think I gave you enough to go on for now,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Look forward to your progress.

Side note

I have yet to give my lead core set up a try this season. Too many boats out there. I dont need a boat crossing 50 ft behind us and ripping my line. Maybe during the last days of the season,I will give it a go. Thats where I,ll be asking questions on the how too.

Good luck out there. Im sure you will figure it out.

I have been cut off twice trying to post this up. Hope it comes out right.

Thanks Brian for tips. I remember those photos well.Nice fish they sure were.

Dave---You can buy a needle to thread a snell thru the minnow---needle has a hook---loop on snell---pull thru and usually leaves a double hook out backside of minnow for trollin

Ya don't want to just lip hook a minnow and hope it stays on

Did some searching Dave,what do you mean by meat?,minnow ,worm,ham?thanks.

Most times just a creek chub or dace. Take a 2 foot piece of about 14 lb mono with a treble tied on the back, take a baiting needle and insert it just forward of the tail and run it out the mouth pulling the loose end of the mono with it, now put a very slight bend in the bait and then run the needle and mono up throught the lower lip out throught the top to keep the mouth closed and maintain the bend, tie to a swivel at the back of the gang troll. If done correctly the bait will rotate slowly behind the troll at trolling speed.

Brian knows.

Watch that rod close. A lot of times you can hardly tell its a fish. Other times they slam it. I would be using the rigger. Troll deep, and when you mark a fish up high, raise the ball to the fish's depth and higher.

Ive never cauught a laker in simcoe on a gang troll, but in other lakes they seem like the only thing that works. Ive cauught fish on them with kwickfish, rapalas, plastics, and even streamer flies behind them, but always in sheild lakes.

Keep atter. You'll learn something every time you try. Thats the whole point IMO....you can never stop learning!

S.