24V Charging Question.

Moosebunk

Hey Bunk

I am not gonna get in a pissing match about 'Terminology' or 'Definitions'

You can charge a 24 volt system, consisting of 2 ,12Volt batteries with one charger, However it might be slow.

The simplest way is to get an onboard 2 bank charger and hook it up to both batteries to charge both at the same time.

OR

Get a 3 bank and also charge the starting battery.

I unplug the Terrova before plugging in the charger and no need to disconnect batteries

You are gonna love the Terrova 24 volt 80 lbs thrust with remote and I-pilot It works as advertised

Cheers

Rick

Edited by RickOnt

I unplug the Terrova before plugging in the charger and no need to disconnect batteries

You are gonna love the Terrova 24 volt 80 lbs thrust with remote and I-pilot It works as advertised

Thanks Rick. Enjoyed testing my buddy Len's out a couple times in the past and so picked one up in April. Going to appreciate it methinks.

Enjoy the new setup! Im jealous!!

It's overdue Sink. The 55PD has been put through the ringer for nearly 5 years and is still going fine but, the extra power is actually needed sometimes, and the features with this will go a long to help me out with certain species fished. Keeping the PD for now, it'll likely go on whatever smaller boat replaces the WarCanoe.

Drew dude. FLIPPER POWER MANG. :tease:

Nice addition dude.

:good: Hear ya bud. Flippin' about might help loosen the belt too. lol.

Haven't been in the tube yet this year tho Brian. Usually do at least a little spring troutin' and fall back lake bassin' from the Outcast.

I have a 2 bank 10 amp charger that I use for my starting battery. I use all 4 leads on 1 battery that gives me 10 amp charge.

My 3 bank that I bought before the 4 bank came out is a 30 amp that's 10 amp per battery.

If you every get into a boosting situation then you need to un hook the jumper between battery's.

Upgraded the trolling motor.

Running two deep cycle 12 volts in series for 24 volts. Everything working mint, batteries separately charge to 13.1 equally and are about the same age and use.

I haven't run a 24V set-up before. I have an Eliminator Intelligent 12V Charger so when needing to charge these batteries do I disconnect all, some, or no connections, and charge each battery alone or in some other way?

Guessing the 12V's will need to be charged separately?

Water got muddied in a hurry didn't it? Arent you glad you asked? :wallbash:

:D Ahhhh Mox... in the end I got the answers bud. :good: Was a little muddy myself with what's best to do for charging.

With what I've got at home to charge with now, each 12V will be separately charged, I'll leave the two connected and see what happens first couple times around, and I'll unplug the motor because I'm used to doing that anyways.

Gotta thank the lot of OFC'ers for speaking up and explaining what they know and do for themselves. All good doods!!! B)

That is great Brian. Nicely done... but it can't all have been from just the belly boat???

Yes sir. At least 2-4 km per outing of flipping and now rowing. Also cut out pop.

I've done it differently this year.

Lost my weight building docks, moving rocks and clearing bush. B)

Nice Dave. See, both fishing related. Got to get there,to be there.LOL

I've owned a boat with an onboard charger for the past 20+ years and I've never unplugged the trolling motor......that would be a major pain in the butt for me. I've had a Lund proV with a 24V trolling motor, a Triton with a 24V, and the current boat being a Ranger with a 36V. The trolling motor stays plugged in and so does the onboard charger when the boat is in my garage.....even over the winter months.

On my ranger I have a 24vt maxxum four wires run up to the marinco plug the system gets put into series by the trolling motor plug. For charging I put the marinco charging plug on a extra long cable and hook it to a 12 vt charger. It charges in parallel no problems with charging and the cheap way out

Summer14-087_zpsd3856ae5.jpg

Summer14-086_zps3417dbab.jpg

LOVED IT!!! Terrova Power. Don't know why I didn't do this in the beginning.

Nothing fancy this newer set-up. With a couple L-brackets just rigged up a little platform on a Lund bracket so I could run the old Humminbird 585 on the bow. No drilling, wires stowed away, and it can be disconnected and moved to the back where I can use it as the GPS beside the HDS7 if wanting to be all fancy like the Pros. :)

FYI... DID NOT switch out the 8 guage wire running to the batteries at the back of the boat. Online and in question was the need for 6 AWG for this motor. Thought I might have to, but the Minnkota Terrova owners manual noted it is not necessary. 8 AWG is fine for the 80# with less than 40 feet of wire. Ran it today full out for about 4-5 minutes into a little wind and did not find the wire by the batteries and breaker warmed as all. Gotta be careful with this motor on my smaller boat though, if it's turned right or left and set to speed 10, it'll throw people out. lol.