Which GPS do you use??

Chugger

first do you want it to be installed in your boat or do you want a portable GPS..it will make a big difference

I love my garmin map76cs along with canada topo maps and the bluewater hydrographic maps I couldn't ask for anything more it does everything I want in a portable GPS...but I do wish the screen was bigger....a large display is easier to see and the older you get the more you need that..some day I will need it too...lol

but on a portable gps you get a small screen and I use it for my bass boat, my folding boat, the rental boats on my northern trips and my ATV for back lake trips and ice fishing so portable was my main need

Thanks for the input guys, I've decided I'll want a portable one for now. I' still rent boats from time to time and it's something I'd want to have, with me as opposed to in my boat.

Roy, why do you say the garmin is more for Land use? If that's the case, does Lowrance make a good handheld?

Cheers,

-g.

Edited by Chugger

I had the Garmin E-map for about 5 years, and loved it until the screen went black on me....

I called Garmin head-office and was told that since it is a discontinued model that they couldn`t fix it and I was basically S.O.L in getting it fixed.... That being said I`ll still probably buy a Garmin when I save enough coin to get one...

Doug

Garmin Etrex Legend.

ditto. this one comes with 8mb of memory and you can install hydrographic maps on it. you could move up to one of their more expensive handheld models with more memory and/or colour.

Don't listen to Roy, he crazy. :lol:

I believe Garmin has really good reception compared to the Lowrance hand held units.

I don't own one, but if I could buy one today (and I have done quite a lot of research) it would be the Garmin Map76CSX with an assortment of hydrographic charts to cover the areas I would plan to discover with the new unit.

As douG mentioned, it's waterproof and floats! Why aren't they all built this way? ;)

Tony

I've got the garmin 60csx. put in topo canada, metroguide canada and a 1 gb card. It's a little smaller than the76csx, so it's nicer for hiking (still has same size screen) but it doesn't float, and is waterproof. With the ram mount, I can easily change from car to boat to ATV. I think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. Recommend checking out the geocaching on them, it'll open up a door to the outdoors like you never seen before. They are pricey, but i'd pay the price again tomorrow if I had to, it's worth it.

Edited by Deano

I also have the Garmin 60 CSx. I've only had it for about a month or so and I'm really enjoying it. I have the entire province loaded on a one gig card from these guys.

GPS Quebec

Their maps are much better than Garmin topo Canada.

I purchased the Lowrance H2O unit and MapCreate 6 Canadian Topo. I've already made a few maps for my trips this year and have them loaded onto the MMC. Seems pretty easy to use, both the unit and the software. Haven't had it out for some real world, on the water usage, so I'm anxious to play around with it during our LAKAIR GTG

I have an old beat up Eagle Navigator thats at least 10 years old in my boat to mark my fav spots. Not to much need for anything else for the boat because I know the area pretty good. For hunting I use a Garmin Rino. Others in our gang use them as well so the 2 way radio is handy. Both of them work very well but as far as the reception goes I think the old navigator still receives better. I recently won a Garmin etrex Legend thats still in the box. Need to open it up and try it too.

Magellan Explorist 500 - Handheld.

Colour Screen

Fast map movement/response

Detailed Maps for lakes

Detailed Driving Instructions

A lot of PoI

Dislikes:

Magellan Customer Service

Cost of Additional maps

first do you want it to be installed in your boat or do you want a portable GPS..it will make a big difference

This is a very important question. I made mine portable on the boat and it went portable into the water. Make sure you have it secured well.

I know use duct tape to keep it in place. :whistling:

I have the meg 210. Works for what I need.Gives me mapping and routes. Good for when you head back and want to stay on the same safe path.

Yup. The topo map is great, it shows everything except water depth. And I mean everything! Since the screen updates so quickly, it will put you right on the bridge over the Credit on 403 at 120 Kph.

You can test drive the map on Garmin's website.

Look for the MapSource viewer on the upper right hand side of the page.

Edited by douG