Persistence Payed Off

Good morning...

So yesterday was the annual 1 bass 1 walleye tournament put on by the Cornwall Lunker Club... This is by far the most challenging tournament I do because you have to devide your time between 2 species... And if you have a decent one of each in the well, what one do you try to upgrade?

So it started out rough with a nasty thunderstorm rolling through around 5am.... I thought they were gunna cancel the event... but luckily it rolled through before the 7am start... but some damage was done... A lot of boats that register the morning of had backed out due to weather...

Anyways... 7am we all go...

PLAN A- hit some big shallow water smallies that are usually pretty consistent... NOTHING

So now...

PLAN B- we run 15 miles to try for a big walleye... Hit some of our best spots... NOTHING but a few small bass...

So now...

PLAN C- otherwise known as "we just might be screwed so let's just try to get some fish and have fun" plan... We hit a handful of spots that have been producing good walleye lately and caught NOTHING.... We are now at like 1pm and weigh in is 3pm... Then for some reason I decided to stop at a spot I haven't fished in years... To be honest I can't remember if I've ever caught a walleye there... Then it happened... 4 trolls produced a 4lb walleye... 6lb walleye... 6lb15oz walleye... And a 3lb3oz bass... We went from 3-4 little bass to a limit that had potential to win... The mood on the boat changed and we started heading back up river to try the smallies in shallow water again... We get to the spot around 220 and We managed 2 bites before we had to head in but no upgrade...

We were nervous because our bass wasn't very big... We weren't sure if everyone else struggled or not...

We ended up finishing 1st with 10lb2oz combined weight and also got the lunker prize for our 6lb15oz walleye

2nd was my cousins boat with 9lb11oz combined weight and also got the lunker prize for his 4lb15oz smallie

3rd was my brothers boat with 9lb8oz

It was very close for the top 3 and a very exciting weigh in...

Here's a few pics

image-101.jpg

image-100.jpg

Releasing our big walleye

image-99.jpg

Edited by Mike Rousseau