Fire tower hunting nf

Joeytier

Curiosity finally got the best of me. Every once in a while fishing one of a couple local lakes i would catch a glimpse of a monster fire tower on a huge plateau in the terrain. I spoke with a couple older guys that have lived there for years and were unable to find the trail. Apparently it hadn't been used in over 30 years, which made me reallly interested. The mapping software on my GPS had a point labelled 'fire' approximately where I figured the tower would be, so that would be my first hunch. I got as close as I could on the machine through some barely visible long forgotten logging roads and bushwhacked my way to the waypoint, only to find a beautiful bluff rock with a pretty great view and a very old foundation of some sort of old cedar lookout structure.

ABDF8D6D-B292-4FC2-A7ED-286289505B0A_zps

Lo and behold, I see the tower...not quite as close as I thought it'd be...

AFEB3560-D8F9-4A24-9A1D-1E7F882D11D2_zps

With such a great view I was easily able to determine which plateau the structure was on, and roughly which trail would get me the closest, so off we went.After another hour or so of slogging through some brutal trails I get an eyeball on it and know I'm actually heading towards it this time. We finally find the swamp at the base of the hill, park the big bear and make our way up the nearly vertical hill to reach the tower...not sure exactly how tall this monster is but it was tall enough to spook me who has never had a fear of heights, and my girlfriend never considered it even for a second...

40082C0F-B511-404D-A695-114B53575880_zps

I finally made it to the top, and was welcomed with an extremely rickety, worn out structure complete with holes in the rotten wood and an old abandoned osprey nest. I could only imagine popping your head up and finding an angry momma osprey ready to protect her young...

64403B6A-1446-4287-8B46-150D3055B3F5_zps

B143590B-EC25-48F1-A607-52F14B60E4BD_zps

On top of that, there was about a 70 k sustained wind and thunderclouds all around me. But it really didn't matter, because the view was absolutely flabbergasting and 100% worth the journey. I enjoyed a Grolsch and my moment of zen then swiftly returned to the safety of hard ground.

95A91F3A-E593-4F74-9284-973685DAE583_zps

C3928965-A216-494F-9AB1-4ED0E59324E1_zps

0B88AADA-8826-4FF6-96FE-B0422693ED96_zps

Anyone else have some fire tower hunting stories?

Edited by Joeytier

Ya, did you ever slog to find 'er. That four wheeler is paying itself off quickly!

Years ago me and my Dad visited a couple in the Boulter/Chisolm area. I was less than 10 years old, can't believe my Dad let me climb them.

That cedar foundation is interesting. Any other relics near it?

I went up the fire tower in the ganareska forest to see a girl!. My buddy was dating her and her summer job was the fire tower. Wasn't to windy but you could feel it sway.

Don't think it's there anymore.

I guess that was the only way to be alone with your buddy's girlfriend?? Haha

I spent a few weeks at the old Forest Ranger School south of Dorset for a spring camp while I was in school. It was still the Dept. of Lands and Forest back in the early 70's. :( Did the tower a few times that stood on the hill overlooking Lake St. Nora. I don't do heights well, surprising what a few drinks and peer pressure will get you to do :ninja:

I went up the fire tower in the ganareska forest to see a girl!. My buddy was dating her and her summer job was the fire tower. Wasn't to windy but you could feel it sway.

Don't think it's there anymore.

No, the tower is down, but the foundation is still there.

S.