Portable transducer mount - Sully or home made??

Burtess

I need to rig up a portable transducer mount for use on rentals etc. I am not fond of the suction cup that comes with the unit.

I was thinking to use a 1X2 and a couple C-clamps but then I saw the Sully transducer mount on line. Anyone ever used one of these? Or have any other tested methods to mount a transducer?

Thanks,

Burt :)

imagesCEJ1QEUV.jpg

I used to use a Tite-Lok transducer mount but just couldn't stand it. It ALWAYS moved and was unnecessarily cumbersome. I did use the suction cup for a while, but it did come off occasionally and made me too paranoid to keep using it.

TRD-5HS798-2T.jpg?1382556700

So, I recently took a piece of 1X3 and mounted the transducer to a 2' section. I actually have two portable sonars and did them both the same. I tested one of them briefly on Saturday and seems to be just fine. I didn't have an old hockey stick, otherwise I'd probably have used one. I am using a 4" C-Clamp that I picked up from Canadian Tire.

IMAG0415_zpsb9ddffc7.jpg

IMAG0416_zps8554c30b.jpg

IMAG0417_zps89c8c103.jpg

I don't think I've ever had an issue with the suction cup mounts. Used one all last week, no problems. So much easier then a homemade solution.

I agree Bill,

I actually took it one step further and glued a square thin layer of plexiglass to the back of my boat for optimal suction. It has been great so far with no issues of coming off or twisting. Looks better as well :whistling:

Edited by BassMan11

I started out with the hockey stick/c-clamp on my first boat and it worked fine, but have run the sully one for the past four years on my current boat. It hasn't budged. Took a little fiddling with to get the transducer initially mounted perfect.

Pete

Since I sold my boat, it's been rentals at the different lodges I've been to. What I've done for the suction cup mount, is to cut a number of 4X4 inch square pieces of Plexiglas plates. Then with the lodge owner's permission, I silicone one of these plate to the transom of the boat we're using for that week. I don't think I've ever had the suction cup come off yet. At the end of the week, a putty knife slipped under the plate and it pops right off; but most times when asked the lodge owner says to leave it on for the next guest. If by chance the owner says not to attach the plate; a small piece of wet fine grit sand paper or emery cloth is a good back up; clean the oxidation away from the mounting area and you're good to go.

Dan.