Garage storage options/solutions

kickingfrog

Looking for what has worked and what hasn't.

Realize that we all have different needs and space but before buying something that doesn't work I figured I'd see what yous guys had found helpful.

Usual stuff tools, bikes and assorted junk.

These work well - but I found them small and pricey so I just made some with ply and 1x2'.s Depending on the gap between your ceiling and your garage door, great place for the off season collection.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/home/storage-organization/garage/garage-wall-storage-solutions/mastercraft-ceiling-storage-rack-0680380p.html#.U3sdwPldWSo

Great way to make room for the boat in the garage :)

These work well - but I found them small and pricey so I just made some with ply and 1x2'.s Depending on the gap between your ceiling and your garage door, great place for the off season collection.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/home/storage-organization/garage/garage-wall-storage-solutions/mastercraft-ceiling-storage-rack-0680380p.html#.U3sdwPldWSo

Great idea, made something similar with old bed rails. It keeps the portable ice hut out of the way and off limits to the mice.

That is one of the products I was looking at. The next boat will be bigger so I figure I'd better get a handle on things now.

I can vouch for these as well - have two above where the hood of the truck goes in the garage with plenty of clearance and they hold a lot of stuff. I'm too useless to make my own so I ponied up and dont regret it.

I lucked out when I built my shed last year. My local CTC store was closing one of their warehouses and was selling the shelving for a pretty good price. I got warehouse grade shelving for less than the cost of the cheap crap they sell for home use.

Bottom line, DON'T buy the flimsy, consumer grade canning shelves, etc. that are made of thin guage sheet metal or even plastic resin. They won't last, They WILL collapse at some point and you will have to spend more money to replace with better quality shelving anyway. Spend the money now and save the aggravation later.

FYI a ^this^ (or a version of it) is going on sale (35% off) this Friday at Canadian Tire. Leave 2 for me please.

Not sure of the dimensions of your garage, but this worked great for me:

I built 2 storage lofts in the limited space above where the garage door is in open position - perfect for storing Rubbermaid containers with the xmas decorations, etc. I think they are 8'x8'.

I also built a huge loft at the back of the garage - full width and around 8' deep. It's just high enough that the boat can tuck under it. I even use the space between the 2x10's to store fishing rods, ladders etc. Let me know if you would like to see pics.

Pete

I have an easy system to make custom shelves that's super strong, cheap and easy. I'm out of town until Friday but let me know if its something ur interested in and I can send pics. It all depends on your level of handiness

I have 3 shelving units you can have kickingfrog.......or anyone else for that matter.

They're laying on their side in my garage. 2 gray and 1 white.

A little flimsy without any weight on them. I was going to bolt them together and screw to the wall or use in the shed.

Unfortunately, I have no space left in either the garage or the shed for any more shelving.

Sorry. Blurry pic with my crappy phone camera. Tools not included. Ooops. Looks like the pic didnt work the first time. Here ya go.

sml_gallery_48_98_1212.jpg

Edited by Carp

Not sure of the dimensions of your garage, but this worked great for me:

I built 2 storage lofts in the limited space above where the garage door is in open position - perfect for storing Rubbermaid containers with the xmas decorations, etc. I think they are 8'x8'.

I also built a huge loft at the back of the garage - full width and around 8' deep. It's just high enough that the boat can tuck under it. I even use the space between the 2x10's to store fishing rods, ladders etc. Let me know if you would like to see pics.

Pete

I have an easy system to make custom shelves that's super strong, cheap and easy. I'm out of town until Friday but let me know if its something ur interested in and I can send pics. It all depends on your level of handiness

Photos please. The system I bought at Canadian Tire would work well enough but my joists are too far apart. I have some ideas on how to build one from 2x4's and some plywood but would like to see what others have done before.

thanks

Edited by kickingfrog

Photos please. The system I bought at Canadian Tire would work well enough but my joists are too far apart. I have some ideas on how to build one from 2x4's and some plywood but would like to see what others have done before.

thanks

Just drill in some 2x4 across the joists and anchor the rack where you please.