Looking for a new boat

Shloim

What do you mean by decent Bill?

I had a 14 ft Sylvan that was a very decent tiller. It was all bench seats. One of the best tillers I have ever owned really..I just like the new split.

A boat that's designed for fishing.. Even our old 16ft Smokercraft had a split in the rear for the driver, I don't even wanna think how old that boat is.

Years ago I had a nice Strarcraft tiller very similar to this one.

It had a flat floor with a vinyl covering which makes standing and walking around much easier, plus it keeps your feet out of any water in the bottom of the boat.

Storage lockers on both sides that doubled as seats and it keeps the center of the boat wide open so your not hindered by having to step over bench seats to move around.

25 HP with a trolling motor up front and it made a nice little fishing package and I even crossed the full width of Nippissing in it a couple times.

I installed a swivel seat on the rear bench to make sitting for long periods more comfortable.

Just something else for you to consider.

13_ST_SF-DLX_16-TR_lg.png

I have a Smokercraft which has the identical layout to that boat. Great craft. Not much more can be said about the design that hasnt already been said.

I don't know if I am supposed to do this or not but I have a 16 ft fiberglass side consol with a 40 hp Yamaha on Kijiji ad id 592575793, take a look and pm me if you have any questions. Jim

not a bad looking setup for the price!

Edited by leaf4

LOWE! That's the make you want. I also needed a 14 foot boat about some time ago and wanted a side console. I found that Lowe had the best layout and a decent platform up front. Any other make I would not even consider (at that time) because their platforms were tiny. Mine was a 14' Lowe with 25 hp Johnson. Lew's brother had the same boat I recall. For me, it was perfect...until I got a bigger vehicle and garage...then I went for the 16 footer!

This is my rig, 16' Legend Prosport with 30hp Honda tiller. I have been very happy with it. I love the layout, and it handles rough water pretty well. I added the seats, trolling motor etc. Pretty affordable, even new. I strongly suggest going with a 16 vs a 14 footer, it makes a world of difference.

DSCF0114.jpg

DSCF0115.jpg

DSCF0117.jpg

Nice set up Pete.

SIMPLE

Been around boats my whole life. I was almost born on one. In my experience, SIMPLE is BEST! I have a wide open 16ft tiller with a 40hp engine. I can fish bigwater, inland lakes, and 4wd into backlakes with the one rig. Takes no maintenence, fishes like a dream, and gets me where I needd to to at 30mph. Ive had bigger, smaller, more complicated, fancy rigs, but this one I will have forever. Best all around fishing boat for ME. It also makes a hell of a duck hunting boat!!

S.

Been around boats my whole life. I was almost born on one. In my experience, SIMPLE is BEST! I have a wide open 16ft tiller with a 40hp engine. I can fish bigwater, inland lakes, and 4wd into backlakes with the one rig. Takes no maintenence, fishes like a dream, and gets me where I needd to to at 30mph. Ive had bigger, smaller, more complicated, fancy rigs, but this one I will have forever. Best all around fishing boat for ME. It also makes a hell of a duck hunting boat!!

S.

Whoops...meant to say I 100% agree with that post. On my 5th boat....have had 12ft with a 6hp to an 18.5ft with a 140hp. Best boat I ever owned was a 16ft Alumacraft Backtroller (nowadays classic 165) with a 40hp. Kick myself for selling it and if I find another one...I am buying it!

When it's snow'n & blow'n and cold, windy, rainy & just plain miserable in October & November, you boys can have your tillers, but I'll be snug as a bunny behind my full windshield and totally enclosed stand-up top :Gonefishing::lol:

Edited by lew

When it's snow'n & blow'n and cold, windy, rainy & just plain miserable in October & November, you boys can have your tillers, but I'll be snug as a bunny behind my full windshield and totally enclosed stand-up top :Gonefishing::lol:

I hear ya Lew, but that time of year my boat has a flip up duck blind on it, and im always cooking something hot on the coleman stove :)

S.

I hear ya Lew, but that time of year my boat has a flip up duck blind on it, and im always cooking something hot on the coleman stove :)

S.

Lemme know where you're gonna be Shane and I'll troll over & join you for breakfast LOL

• 2 weeks later...