My Experience At My Local Dealer.

Went into my local dealer yesterday to inquire about a new motor. The salesman came over and asked if I needed any help. I told him I am looking for a 25 hp 4 stroke tiller electric start, tilt and trim in either a Merc or Etec and what are the pros and cons of each. He said there both great motors and your looking at about 5k for either one. Then he excused himself and went back and started stocking the shelves with oil. He left me standing in the middle of the showroom floor. I waited for 5 minutes for him to finish loading the shelves with the box of oil he was unloading, then he went in the back and got another box and started to stock that one.

I waited another 5 minutes and I was starting to get a bit irritated. That's when I decided to leave. On the way out he says have a great weekend. I was ready to purchase but not at that price he quoted me since it was about 750 over msrp.

I cant believe that is the way they treat a potential buyer. Wasted an hour of my day, guess I will have to travel a bit to find a motor. What a clown.

Went into my local dealer yesterday to inquire about a new motor. The salesman came over and asked if I needed any help. I told him I am looking for a 25 hp 4 stroke tiller electric start, tilt and trim in either a Merc or Etec and what are the pros and cons of each. He said there both great motors and your looking at about 5k for either one. Then he excused himself and went back and started stocking the shelves with oil. He left me standing in the middle of the showroom floor. I waited for 5 minutes for him to finish loading the shelves with the box of oil he was unloading, then he went in the back and got another box and started to stock that one.

I waited another 5 minutes and I was starting to get a bit irritated. That's when I decided to leave. On the way out he says have a great weekend. I was ready to purchase but not at that price he quoted me since it was about 750 over msrp.

I cant believe that is the way they treat a potential buyer. Wasted an hour of my day, guess I will have to travel a bit to find a motor. What a clown.

fish_fishburn,

I purchased new 30 hp Etec power tilt and trim last month from Hamilton's Bay city marine. Price was cheapest i was able to find in Ontario and guys did awesome job installing it. Installation was free of charge.

You can find all information about difference between 4 stroke and Etec. I took boat out last weekend and was amazed about that motor - quiet, powerful for my boat, economical - i am usually going from almost a tank of gas per trip, that time was barely 1/4 of it. Also - most important part for me was NO BREAK IN period. Computer is making it invisible for you by adding extra oil. 300 hours maintenance free or 3 years. I got 6 years warranty - but that was a promotion for March only.

Edited by Costa

fish_fishburn,

I purchased new 30 hp Etec power tilt and trim last month from Hamilton's Bay city marine. Price was cheapest i was able to find in Ontario and guys did awesome job installing it. Installation was free of charge.

You can find all information about difference between 4 stroke and Etec. I took boat out last weekend and was amazed about that motor - quiet, powerful for my boat, economical - i am usually going from almost a tank of gas per trip, that time was barely 1/4 of it. Also - most important part for me was NO BREAK IN period. Computer is making it invisible for you by adding extra oil. 300 hours maintenance free or 3 years. I got 6 years warranty - but that was a promotion for March only.

Take above post,and tell them you want to buy,but want the same as per March deal. If their that great of a place,they will do it IMO.

Looks like these E-Tecs are doing well.

Was chicken to buy one when they first came out - so went with Yammy.

On paper, they are a no- brainer.

Performance, economy, minimal maintenance.

But will they last?

I spoke with a lot of people from states who owned them since they are on a market - no issues what so ever.

The truth is at this time of year there is only so many new motors available , so if he has one in stock he will probably get that price from some one who is desparate for a new motor and doesn't want to wait for the next boatload to arrive whenever.

Look at Tohatsu/ Nissan , pretty sure the Mercs at that horsepower are rebranded Tohatsu's.

The truth is at this time of year there is only so many new motors available , so if he has one in stock he will probably get that price from some one who is desparate for a new motor and doesn't want to wait for the next boatload to arrive whenever.

Look at Tohatsu/ Nissan , pretty sure the Mercs at that horsepower are rebranded Tohatsu's.

I think Tohatsu is making some of the Evinrude motors too.

There is some info missing. Did you let him know you had serious intent in buying an outboard and if so did you attempt negotiating? Or do we expect others to read our minds?

I have a similar experience with a dealer in my area. Last year I was looking to upgrade my motor to a 30 hp 4 stroke electric start. The salesman did precisely what fishburn stated except he was on the phone. I waited till I got a price, then he left me in the showroom. I was disgusted with his performance to say the least. This past April I was in the same dealership exploring the new Lunds. Same guy spent 1.5 hours with me showing all the features of the package including small items such as the livewells, rod storage & even took out a tape measure to show me the difference in the cockpit area of the Tyee vs another model. The boat I was contemplating was $50,000.00. I have experienced this type of service at a few dealers. If you're looking at small items such as a $5,000.00 outboard or even smaller items such as accessories they don't seem to care. Go in there for a big ticket item, they're all over you. Makes me wonder what type of after sale service I would get. No it wasn't Bay City Marine. Bay City is awesome. I bought my first new boat there in 1986. Good experience & service even back then.

I was buying a new pick-up a few years back and went into a dealership to get some info. Two salesmen were talking so I went over to them but they just continued their conversation. After 30 seconds one guy asked if he could help me. I said I wanted to buy a new truck but wanted to read the brochures to see what models & options were available. His reply was "nope, we don't have any" and just went back to yakking to his friend without bothering to offer anything else..

So I went to another dealership and bought from them.

Edited by lew

As a student I worked for an old dairy farmer. One day he delivered a load of bales to Woodbine Racetrack and stopped into the Mercedes

Dealer on Steeles. He wore farm clothes. Nobody would come and talk to him. Finally the sales manager became aware of the situation.

He came over and closed a deal for $68K cash for a Turbo Diesel 500 S, I believe.

As a student I worked for an old dairy farmer. One day he delivered a load of bales to Woodbine Racetrack and stopped into the Mercedes

Dealer on Steeles. He wore farm clothes. Nobody would come and talk to him. Finally the sales manager became aware of the situation.

He came over and closed a deal for $68K cash for a Turbo Diesel 500 S, I believe.

That's always how it is, I used to work at Budd's BMW one of my friends in sales spent some time in oakville and he was flabbergasted when some of the sales people would pass up an opportunity based on what they looked like and drove, he sold 3-4 cars to people driving 15 year old rust buckets where no one else wanted to give them the time of day just based on appearance

It's the dealerships that focus on the small things that you want to do business with. They will make sure the details are right, answer all your questions, and that you get the service your hard earned money deserves.

For years I went to the same Ford dealership. Was always treated well and fairly. They now have new owners and customer service seemed to disappear. I'll be looking for a new car dealership.

As for boats, I had similar problems of poor service with Legend's big dealership on the 400. I will never look at them ever. Now their Ft Erie dealership, Nicholl's, is pure gold. In 15 years of doing business with them, I have never had a bad experience. Tim, Judy, and the staff, take the time to look after you. So the son and I continue to give them all our business.

Go easy on the initial poster

There is no excuse for what the salesman did.

How easy would you like me to be? "I'd fire him", or "He wouldn't be working for me" are going easy?

I think those are legitimate questions. Far too often we tell "our side " of a story and expect validation on that alone. I just wanted to make sure all the bases were covered. Fair comment, no?

Excuse me for my approach but I was never one for "Softball" growing up.