Kawartha Walleye Opener

I don't know, I'm feeling kinda guilty already before even taking a first cast, there's lots of talk about guys boycotting because of the late spring and respect for the fishery, I guess I'll play it by ear, and practise extreme conservation if I feel things aren't right

Edited by chris.brock

I really can't do anything about late spring. Most of the walleye have spawned and I can't do anything about falling water levels.

So I will be fishing walleye same as any year will start fishing keep trying things until I make contact.

Go out and try one thing, if that doesn't work just keep trying different things until you get the right combination. Hit two of my favorite crappie holes yesterday, water temp 53°F. Quite a few boats but in three hours I didn't see one crappie caught. Will give it another try again today and see if I can find them. Water is still quite high but starting to go down a little every day.

It will be tough if I judge from past experiences and cold springs. The water has dropped some, but the weeds are way behind. This should give the walleye a break on opening for a change. Best to try different techniques, but a slow presentation will be the trick. Minnows sure wouldn't hurt your chances.

I think recruitment will suck this year, but the lakes overall will be fine. We might miss this year class in a few years, but the slot we have now will protect the fish that need protection.

S.

did you get a water temp. today Cliff?

strategies- I know where they spawn, so I'm going to start as close as legally possible to there

-slow, jigs tipped with a piece of worm, I'll have some minnows if they're available or I can get some in the trap

poor planning on somebodies part, Mother's Day and the walleye opener on the same weekend, damn!

Warmest I found was 56°. Main body of the lake was 47-49.

Only action at all was on the West banks and very shallow. My BEST crappie fishing is when temps are between 58 and 62 although I talked to a couple of guys that told me they did quite well last week but had only caught a couple of small perch between yesterday and today.

My mom's birthday would be on the 16th if she was still alive, you can imagine the risks I took some years to get out fishing on opening weekend. :whistling:

My honest plan? Get to a boat with a rod rigged with a jig and 4 or 5" grub. I have a plan B, C and D but plan A is how I will start provided I can get out between work and Mothers Day.

My plan is to release some pickerel into a bath of hot oil! The usual will be to start with suspending jerk baits, and if that doesn't work I'll switch to the ball head and twister tipped with a minnow. If all that fails, splitshot and minnow gets em every time. I target shallows near spawning locations after dinner, and fish into the dark. Sleep in the next morning, then fry fish!!

Went back to a spot where I had picked up a couple of small ones the day before, it looked like a parking lot with 10+ boats all packed in so close you could have walked across them. I saw some nice fish being caught but I wasn't interested in getting jamed into that mess so I left and tried a few other spots.

Three years ago I could have gone there and I might have seen one or two other boats now it is common to see 10+ on a week day and you can forget even trying on a weekend.

Three years ago I could have gone there and I might have seen one or two other boats now it is common to see 10+ on a week day and you can forget even trying on a weekend.

Yet every year you report whats happening up there?? Keep it to yourself Cliff. I know you mean well, and I'm not saying the crowd is your fault at all, because its not, but keeping tight lipped is the only way to roll.

S.

"poor planning on somebodies part, Mother's Day and the walleye opener on the same weekend, damn!"

Besides flowers and a card, take the kids fishing and let the wife enjoy a few hours to herself...great present !

Yet every year you report whats happening up there?? Keep it to yourself Cliff. I know you mean well, and I'm not saying the crowd is your fault at all, because its not, but keeping tight lipped is the only way to roll.

S.

You got it Sinker, no more fishing reports from this boy!!!