Fish n Ski or Fishing boat

Gregoire

I'm looking at getting a boat and need to decide if I go with a fish n ski or just a fishing boat. My mother in law wants to start water skiing again, and seems willing to chip in a bit for the purchase. Which would you choose and why. I will be using the boat to fish out of most of the time, but will be used recreationally as well. The cottage is on an island, so would be used to ferry back and forth pretty big water.

The girlfriends dad has a Lund 1850 tyee dual console, with a 115 merc opti, bought a bar attachment and we can go tubing, water skiiing, wake boarding but it is mainly used as a fishing boat, we frequent Lake Ontario and have been out some days where it turns into 3' + waves and it has handled it excellent every time and we have always felt safe.

I bought a 2011 Tracker Pro V 175 Combo. Fish ski combo. No problems at all. I mostly fish out of it. Lake O fishing, and bass fishing Scugog. Its an aluminum with a 115 Opti on it. Lots of room for both fish and recreational activities. I tow it everywhere, love the boat.

Good luck in your hunt!

I have fished out of bowriders and other similar type boats and hated it... I am not even a fan of fishing out of Al's big boat for salmon. I would go for a console style fishing boat with enough horsepower to ski and tube etc. comfortably. Best of both worlds.

Pete

Edited by Fisherpete

Don't be haters.....Ya Tracker has had a bad reputation in the past but that was the past. I haven't had one issue with my boat. I use it for everything from Lake O salmon to Scugog bass and also ski and tube. Theres horror stories out there about every boat maker....just do your homework like your doing and try and go see every boat you like. Nothing like walking around and checking out the boat first hand

good luck

Larson has some pretty nice looking fishing boats now. Get out there and look at several options. What are the primary uses?? If you are fishing out of the boat a lot, look at something that is more fishing oriented, if you are going to ski with it most of the time then look at more of A ski boat. Is the cottage on an island?? Then you need something that has some utility capability. Have fun boat shopping.

I love my 20 ft chaparral, its got a v8 305 to get places, tube or ski. I can idle the motor to 2mph for slow trolling, i can fish lake o and simcoe no problem. Best part is i bought it for 2 g. When i flip the back flap down you cant see where the riggers mount, i can also pull out my side rod holder as well. I have been thinking about installing a live well and hitting some tournaments too.

Get a fishing boat, I tow me nieces and nephews around on the tube behind the Lund all the time, they have a blast. No need to compromise a boat for a use it will see what, 5% of the time?

Price is the biggest consideration. I want a Ranger Z520 but the wife wants something with more seats and is looking closely at the Reata. I don't like that you cannot get an extended rear casting deck for the Reata.

My compromise at the moment is looking at the 619vs. It has more seating (like the Reata) but you can buy the extended rear casting deck. This way when you are fishing, it is a fully functional rig but is still easily converted back to a good ski boat.

If the price is out of your league (I am a few years away myself) try to find something that has similar characteristics. In the mean time, my Bass Tracker that I have had for 5 seasons now and has given me absolutely not problems, will just have to do.

Good luck with whatever you buy!

Adam

I guess i should add that i have a 12ft aluminum car topper that i put a fishfinder, rod holders, cupholders and a homemade transom for a Trolling motor. I use this for a lot of my smaller lakes fishing and use my big boat for big lakes.

As someone else previously mentioned, Tyee. Great fishing boat, the layout makes it perfect for trolling and hauling the family around. I was in a similar situation as yourself a year ago. My kids are at the age where dad isn't "cool" to hang around with. My wife only likes being out in glass calm water. I ended up getting a 1875 ProV. It suits my lab and I just perfect!

I have nothing bad to say about Legend Boats.

Just buy the biggest motor possible for your package. ;)

I've had mine for 23 years and it will yank the arms clear off a skier and fishes like mad!!! ;)

X2.

I have a Legend XCalibur (Fish-n-Ski) Aluminum. The difference between their fish-n-ski and their fishing boat is not much. Bow cushions vs. more casting deck. My wife and kids love being up on the bow on the cushions and the huge back bench when in 'family' mode. I love converting the back bench to a huge aft casting platform and fishing my trolling motor on the bow in 'fishing' mode. No complaints.

Agree to buy the biggest motor (main and electric) possible .

I love the Rangers and Lunds, and have been looking at 19ft boats but due to the fact that I want to be able to store it in my garage in Leslieville, and that I will probably only be able to tow a max of 3500 ponds I am thinking that a 15 or 16ft Aluminum is the biggest I can go. As far as price goes I am in negotiations with my new house and my future wife about how much I can spend on my future boat.

Thanks for all the answers so far.

I had two issues regarding storage when I was looking to buy a boat. First was overall package length, I have the sidewalk on my side of the street so my driveway is short. I made sure the package came with a swing-away trailer tongue. I just make it then.

The other issue was width. I have standard garage doors. I had to sacrifice on this point. its 3" too wide to fit in the garage. In order for it to fit I would have had to drop down to a smaller boat and at 17 1/2ft i didn't want to go much smaller and lose the capability to take more people. I also didn't want too small a boat as I didn't feel comfortable fishing Lake O on a consistent basis with a smaller boat.

Good Luck