When do you expect Simcoe to break up?

sneak_e_pete

Algonquin ice out watch is saying they are down to 34 cm's of snow as of yesterday. This is the same snow level as last year two weeks later. Ice out was April 30th last year... If we are 2 weeks late that would push it into the second week of may.

May 5th in '05, May 10th in '96, May 12th in '02, May 15th in '72 is the record for lat ice out.

Its going to be an interesting spring.

I figure 2 weeks and two days and Fish bay will be open on Nipissing.

Week later and Hunters bay is open.

The South River has started to thaw in places, some open water.

And to think,we were driving the ice road not so long ago.

I thought Nip would be til end of May for sure Bernie. Crazy ice thickness out there. Or is that normal up there?

Here are 2 webcams from Lower Buckhorn and it is breaking up pretty good but the back bays will be iced up for a while yet. This one is from the Sunrise resort looking down the lake towards the narrows http://www.sunriseresort.ca/index.php/photo-video/webcam and here is the second from Reach Harbour resort which is about halfway down the lake looking out to the main channel http://www.reachharbour.com/ just click on the webcam button at the top left of the page.

Kawartha Kev

P.S. Best to watch the Sunrise webcam in the afternoon when the sun shows the lake better also this cam updates every 5 sec. or so unlike the Reach Harbour cam which shows better through the day but only updates every hour or so I think.

Edited by Kawartha Kev