Hide'n Out in Haliburton Report

chris.brock

I was in warmer climates last week, a bit of a shock to the system

it looks like I'm having a peyote induced, mystic vision in this pic

100_2900_zps6a800e1d.jpg

We even had a chance to break out my homemade mini sluice and do some panning, The Lost Dutchman Mine is still lost

100_2922_zps82d95531.jpg

Then up to Haliburton

I had never seen one of these before, a Moto-ski Mini Sno, very cool

100_2877_zpsdcaba905.jpg

got out for some fishing, Doug is happy with this laker on his ultra-light set up

b44c9aa7-5a8c-483d-bfdc-3160f367414d_zps

I was chatting with a couple of guys on the ice, who also had some time on their hands so we hit a back lake the next day

4816047a-7411-4639-ab1c-f995087624ca_zps

the guys get right to work, setting everything up

100_2976_zpse9343796.jpg

looks like somebody was here before us

100_2975_zps92dd5d01.jpg

Jake forgot his boots so he was stylin' in the Nikes

100_2977_zps26cb98d3.jpg

A slow day, I felt bad for recommending the lake and then it sucked out, that's fishing I guess, Arno managed to salvage something with this nice splake

100_2978_zps68767bb3.jpg

the splake pooped out 1 inch red worms, we assumed they are parasites since they weren't digested like the other stomach contents? anybody know?

100_2979_zps7e381821.jpg

a cottage neighbors place became yet another victim of the heavy snow loads, there used to be a roof on the place, they're not up much in the winter so I'm pretty sure nobody was hurt

100_2980_zpsb03c05e9.jpg

Edited by chris.brock

Wish I was hiding out in Haliburton right now. Sitting beside the air tight stove, looking out onto the lake, having a tasty drink. After fishing of course. Was up last weekend. At least 30 inches of ice. This is the first year in maybe 5 that I've used the old Jiffy. Only one smallish lake trout caught & released.

Wow, cool report, where were you in the first few pics?

Mmmm, mmmm, A & W Rootbeer is great stuff eh! :whistling:;)

Sedona, AZ

Right on Chris!!

Mmmmmmmm. Peyote induced mystic visions. Me likes!! We need to get out fishing together soon man!!

anytime Nick

Wish I was hiding out in Haliburton right now. Sitting beside the air tight stove, looking out onto the lake, having a tasty drink. After fishing of course. Was up last weekend. At least 30 inches of ice. This is the first year in maybe 5 that I've used the old Jiffy. Only one smallish lake trout caught & released.

yep, it's always nice up there, I haven't caught anything decent really this season either

Did you find any black sand or gold flecks at all? I'm a geology geek and have done quite a bit of amateur prospecting and panning. Never got lucky, but I enjoy doing it nearly as much as fishing

sweet,

that's sort of why I included that picture, hoping somebody would chime in like you just did

I've gotten pretty good at panning and can get it down to the black sand (takes me a little while though), I've never found a fleck though

with me, I went to the Klondike for a vacation, came home, then read Pierre Burton's Klondike book, now I'm hooked, I can't believe I didn't try some sluicing/ panning when I was up there, I've been trying around here and on fly-in fishing trips

I'll PM you if you don't mind, very cool

Cool report. Never had the (dis)pleasure of coming across those tape worms in my trout and hope i never do!

I'm anticipating another good 3-4 weeks of sledding up here...gonna be a soupy slushy mess next week i'm guessing...still loads of snow on the backlakes!

Looks like Bell Rock.

Did you get up Cathedral Rock?

We saw it but didn't climb it, we did Devil's Bridge but my fear of heights seems to be getting worse as I get older and I couldn't cross it, couldn't even get close to it actually, we also did Siphon Draw, one day hiked over 20km and hilly, I was whooped that night

great weather down there eh?

funny AZ story, in a nutshell

I tried to drive into a part of the airport with a small RV, a couple hundred meters in on a one way road, a height restriction bar and the RV was way too high, I had to jump the curb and weave my way through a landscaped area to get back to a road

it crossed my mind that law enforcement would think the RV driving through the cacti and other manicured stuff was loaded with bombs on a suicide mission, Hahaha,

no problems though, a few people staring though

Edited by chris.brock

Nice trip report sir. Sedona is a special place. My wife calls it spiritual. I call it hot and expensive. Drive a bit uphill and go from 30C to -5C. If someone tells me they are from Sedona 9 times out of 10 they are wealthy. But it truly is beautiful. Former POW and Presidential candidate Senator John McCain hails from Sedona. Want to loose an presidential election? Explain to a supporter that Barack Obama is not only not a Muslim he is a very good person, a good family man and a great American on national TV.

Love the editing. I now know why anyone would wear those open toe Roman sandals, Root Beer! Lots of it. Sorry couldn't help, I has a pair and got grief from the kids, "how 90's Uncle Johnny". Almost as much as when I bought a pair of Croks and showed my wife, only wore them once.

I think I saw a pic here of a 12" tapeworm coming out the bung of a Walleye, mmmm, good.