Ice fishermen rescue 3 from car through ice

kickingfrog

http://www.citynews.ca/2014/03/02/exclusive-fishermen-rescue-woman-after-car-goes-through-ice/#related-content-preview

Ice fishermen came to the rescue of a woman and two children whose car sank into the frigid waters of Frenchmen’s Bay in Pickering on Sunday afternoon.

All winter long, cars have been venturing out on the body of water — off Lake Ontario, near the Pickering Nuclear Generating Station — but just after 4 p.m., one hit a patch of thin ice.

Two 12-year-olds in the vehicle got out on their own, but the mother of one of the kids was trapped in the front seat.

Bystander Will Ferenc dove in and pulled the woman to safety.

“My buddy Will here pretty much saved her life,” said fisherman Peter Kroone.

“She was … trying to get out of the ice. The ice kept on breaking all around her. It was a pretty crazy thing to see.”

Durham police said it’s the second time a car has broken through the ice at Frenchmen’s Bay in just over a month. There were no injuries in that incident either, but some believe warning signs are needed, especially as the weather warms up.

“I’m concerned about people, especially with no idea what they’re getting into with ice,” Ferenc said.

“People just drive onto the ice without knowing the thickness of the ice. They can get into an unsafe area and go down.”

Officers said the woman will have to cover the cost of having the car removed from the bay.

Frenchman's Bay is like a holding pool for runoff from both Durham and Scarborough. That run off as we all know has a very high salt content this time of year.

Frenchman's Bay is pretty shallow and only at the mouth, which is fairly narrow is it exposed to the open lake.

I would expect that in some places, there may well be plenty of ice to drive on, yet in others, well obviously not.

Hopefully this incident helps to keep more people off the ice or at least those who don't know better...

HH

yea, but you probably aren't fishing near the warm water discharge from a nuclear plant

You got it!!! U can have 30 inches and not too far away have 7 in some cases....I've seen it in there before, not everywhere, but it can happen there. There's a lot of current coming through from the main lake channel carrying in warm water etc....more than most ppl realize.

Going to the right is a bad idea...

Thank god all is ok

Edited by buick14

I wonder where they went through. Most of the ice on the west side is about 2 feet thick; I don't drill too many holes. Lots of people driving out this year.

The east side is also frozen this year. I have never seen that side freeze in previous years. Perhaps that ice is less than the ~24" that I have been fishing.

In fairness, if you see 15-20 cars and trucks on the ice, you tend to think the ice is safe.

Edited by JohnBacon

I heard it was about 50' off shore, between the access point, and the channel. Right around where the motocross guys normally rip around. Ive been out there a few times this year, always sticking to the west side, the ice appearred solid from what i saw