Who is akaShag and why is he here? (Introduction)

akaShag

Well, if there is an "introductions" forum or thread I missed it, and I have been hijacking other threads (notably Tyler's Derby pictures) for newbie questions and comments.

So my real name is Doug, but that user name was already taken here. And my old nickname is Shag, so I went with akaShag (aka = "also known as")

I am retired old fart and have been fishing for over fifty years. I am happy wetting a line for practically any species, but I did have a spell when I was a fairly dedicated steelhead addict, and have been known to pursue bass with some enthusiasm. I unapologetically keep some fish to EAT and consider fresh fish to be one of the great benefits of the sport. You want to practice C&R, go right ahead, but please don't slam me when I keep a feed of crappies or perch (or whatever). I moved around a bit with my career but now call Kingston home and I like it here.

Yes that is my picture in the avatar, taken during a road trip I took in 2011 when I fished and hunted my way to the Yukon and back. It was a great trip (and I did it solo). I have friends in every province and territory, and several states, and like to visit them and share fishing and hunting adventures. My big trip this year will be to Great Slave Lake with a couple buddies, one of whom lives in Yellowknife and has all the kit we will need.

I hope to bring a "mature" perspective to this site. So far I like the tone (as in, NOT rude!) and I see some friends both old and new amongst the membership. I look forward to being able to figure out some of the technological problems I am having, but did not grow up with computers and admit to some technophobia.

Now back to regular programming, and I promise to hijack less threads. ;) OK once more on the Tyler thread to link here, if I can make the machine do that.......

Doug

Nice reading your input Doug. That is some impressive hair you had there, I hope to grow a beard that impressive one day, but I think the one I have now will be gone once the ice and snow leaves. I read your comment in the Tyler thread, about getting out on Simcoe. I certainly don't guide but would be game to hook up and giver' out there any day. :)

Martin

nice intro, this site definitely has one of the friendlier tones going for internet forums, I moved to BC and still linger around here, one of the better forums imo

I've been on lesser slave a few times, but great slave is on my to do list, I want one of those 50lb lakers....please feel free to pm coordinates of your hot spots lol

that Yukon trip sounds like a pretty sweet trip, any pics, hunting or otherwise? my dream job will be 14x14 at one of the mines up there, some day hopefully

cheers

Well Doug, I have to tell you if that really is a picture of you, you have a double named Dennis (my first wife ran away with him and he's been trying to bring her back for over 30 years now). All kidding aside (and I am serious about the double) Welcome to the board! There are several of us old farts on here that were brought up in the days when fishing and hunting were for food not for sport as it is today.

I still carry a lot of the old values with me; don't take more than you can use and if you do get more then you share it. Always give a man a hand up rather than a hand out, Well from the posts I have seen so far we share a lot of the same ideals! I hope we get an opportunity to share some time together this year! I'm up on Sturgeon Lake in the Kawarthas, if you are ever inclined to head this way give me a shout!

As a junior member here I know you won't be disappointed with the tone and membership here. No trollers and people acting like babies. There are disagreements here like everywhere and usually never get silly. I would love to read and see more about the cross country trek, sounds fantastic. Is there a book and eventually a movie in the works?. Grissley Adams could play you but he's too old and may not even be alive today.

I lost my cat a few years back, take a look in your beard and let me know if you find it. I don't use acronyms or smiley faces, if I say something stupid I may be trying to be funny or are saying something stupid.

Welcome.

Thanks folks.

No cats in my beard although there have been other things and since this is a G-rated site we won't go there. I did eat cougar a couple times of course, both times the four legged variety and found it surprisingly good. I had believed that people hunted cougars for sport and trophies only (like grizzly bears), but cougar meat is delicious! And I did hear, last time I was in the Yukon, that "some" folks do eat grizzly bear meat, but that is very rare indeed because most grizzlies live on carrion and the rotten flesh they eat imparts a similar flavour to their flesh. Apparently, I do not know...................and have zero intention of finding out unless somebody offers me some when I have seen them eating it already and from the same pot!

I wrote a blog while I was on my trip, and that is basically most of the writing I plan to do about that. Back when Darryl Choronzey had the Ontario Fisherman magazine, I did write for him on a freelance basis and that was fun...........

Doug

back to Finesse Fan.............IF my machine allowed me to use the "QUOTE" button, which so far it has not, I would just have done that rather than work my poor fingers down to nubs with my two finger typing..............or I guess it is called KEYBOARDING these years. Kind of like skateboarding but it is much slower and thankfully does not usually involve broken kneecaps and black eyes.............so where was I again? Oh, yes..........the Science Centre...........

Yes you are correct, that is indeed the Van De Graaf Generator look, I thought it was pretty awesome myself. When you build up a sufficient static charge, however, you want to be exceptionally careful just what part of your body is sticking out, if you catch my drift, because that is where the shock comes aboard. :w00t:

On most websites, posting pictures involves incantations and black magic that I have not yet mastered, only having attended my first three years at Hogwarts before they threw me out. But I will endeavour to figure out how to post pictures here, if only to prove that I have actually caught some actual, real fish, not just the Internet variety..............

Doug

back to strik, I think that is a compliment, and thanks for that. But if you mean you want to make FUN of me, I will have you know that I am a persecuted member of a minority - that being older, fatter, balder white males who speak English as their first official language..........

(J/K)

Doug

Fall005_zps0e5599e2.jpg

019_zps2454d9f2.jpg

Well Sir Doug... welcome aboard here my friend. There will be more fish coming this spring I hope.

Your avatar is beard at it's gnarliest but, the man I know keeps himself in check and has heart of gold. Your years fishing and hunting will be an asset to this place.