Point and shoot camera recommendation (nf)

sneak_e_pete

I have Kodak and a Olympus good for every day general use. No underwater capabilities . . . But for genaral use they are good.

I miss my SLR Pentax with manual controls :(

If you can afford it go for a digital SLR and it will give you many years of enjoyment.

many of our members are into photography and will chime in.

I just replaced my Olympus Stylus 800 (as much as I hated to), with a Canon SX280 HS. I did a bit of research and found this one fit my needs. I wanted a camera with a better zoom (it has a 20x zoom with stabilization) and video quality. So far I like it, it doesn't have the same lens cover as the 800 but the 280 cover seems OK so far. When I'm ATVing or fishing I all ways have it with me. I put a lanyard on it long enough to go around my neck and keep the camera in my jacket or breast pocket. It was around the $250 mark.

I wouldn't recommend an slr while fishing. That's a. Expensive whoopsie when you drop it lol

For a PAS I'd go with any of the canon power shots or go pro for underwater action

I'd forget my fishing rods before my slr when I go fishing.

I love my canon cameras I have had many in the Ashot series you can not go wrong. I love the self timer function as I have mine set for 30 second and it takes 10 pictures that way I have 40 seconds to get a musky from the net and ready to pose with it. They are easy to use cameras I will not buy another brand I am totally canon loyal. I have had Fuji, Sony and my sister has had others that I was not fond of.

I have one of those fuji finepix xp50 cameras and it's a nice little unit. Water, dust, freeze proof. So far I'm happy with it.

Here's a sample photo from last week.

DSCF0860a_zps3eebbd1f.jpg

Yup. Love mine. Fits in the inside pocket of my suit.

Nice fish bud.

I don't really have a specific model to recommend; but I would recommend a water proof one.

Even if you never use if for underwater pictures, just not having to worry about it getting it wet is great. An iPhone could turn out to be an expensive option for fishing pictures.

I have the older version of the Fuji, the XP10 - it has been a pretty good camera for me, and takes nice underwater video. Just had to replace the battery - it would no longer hold a charge. The newer versions of this camera are even better.

Buddy of mine has one of the Olympus tough cameras and likes it.

Have found myself taking many pics on my Iphone too lately - just so convenient - unless it is a really nice fish and then the camera comes out.

Pete

If you just want a decent cheap point and shoot camera... Target is has some nikons on clearance for really cheap.... Basically for the cost of what it used to be to develop 3 rolls of film LOL. Details in the links below.

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/target-nikon-s3500-reduced-38-99-a-1446792/

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/nikon_coolpix_s3500_review/

They're all pretty good these days. See a pattern here? Everyone is happy with whatever they own. Go with the best deal.

Ding ding ding we have a winner. I have a few point and shoot cameras over the years and the one I seem to grab the most often is the gopro if I am going to be getting wet.

Art