Oakville wildlife sighting, NF

chris.brock

Coming towards my front door, after work, in the dark, I saw something on the mailbox and thought,

"ok, my wife bought a little nick-knack"

then it moved and startled me

IMG_00881_zps218a8f6e.jpg

the little saw whet had captured one of the robins that like to spend the night in our cedars, I'm assuming he let me get so close for so long because he didn't want to loose his dinner

pretty cool, the top of the mailbox is now a bloody mess though, Hahaha

I think you're right, it looks like a screech

Wasn't saying it was....honestly just wondered. We get a couple of those in our yard through the summer (also in Oakville), and I wanted to know which type it is. When the tufts are down it is hard to differentiate in the dark.

Very cool - used to see/hear one just like sat in the tree outside my old place near Appleby College, probably watching all the robins we had too :)

I googled it and copied this

Winter Birds Myth: American robins always fly south for winter.

Winter Birds Fact: If there is sufficient food on their breeding grounds, American robins, bluebirds, and a host of finches and owls remain in the area where they spent the summer. As these birds often eat insects, they will instead forage among tree bark for overwintering bugs rather than on the frozen ground, where you’re more likely to see them in spring and summer

I'll get a picture of them if I get a chance, they spend the nights in our cedars, if you don't believe me you could ask my cat

Kind of like the hybrid Canadian Virginia geese. We have an established population here it seems it is to far to fly all the way back up North.lol

Art

Contrary to popular belief, a Virginia goose is not a bird.

Thats very cool! Thanks for sharing Chris.

I always enjoy it when the Cooper's/Sharp Shinned makes an appearance around the backyard feeder for a meal of Mourning Dove.

Or when the Opossum, Fox, Groundhog, Coyote, etc. show up and remind us that Nature isn't just in the awesome "Up North" area but, anywhere they can eke out an existance.

Cheers,

Mark

Very cool - used to see/hear one just like sat in the tree outside my old place near Appleby College, probably watching all the robins we had too :)

here's a couple pics, me watching all the robins before they head into the cedars

100_2864_zpsc2b5273f.jpg

100_2863_zps8d12f22d.jpg

100_2862_zpsd0c2e924.jpg

Edited by chris.brock