Family Fishing Report

ccmtcanada

We woke up on Monday to be greeted with an amazingly mild and calm morning!! When the kids were up we asked what they wanted to do today....and surprisingly, our 15 year old daughter wanted to go fishing!! Soon after that, our 5 year old was excited to go to. We didn't want to venture too far, because we were not interested in hitting the cottage traffic at the end of the day, so my oldest suggested a local conservation area. We all agreed and with that, we packed some snacks and drinks and left in the car. After paying $1.10 per litre of gas to fill up and another $5 for worms...we headed off...and 15 minutes later we were walking to the pond.

We divided up into teams to see who could catch the most fish, so it was bly and our oldest, and me and our youngest. Should have known right away that whoever had me would be handicapped....LOL.

We immediately began to pull out sunfish after sunfish...throw in a few bullhead that rounded out our day. The final score....

Bly and our oldest - 51 fish - All sunfish

Me and our youngest - 36 fish - 33 Sunfish and 3 bullhead

Here are some pics from our non-stop day....first pic is her first fish of the year!

gallery_60_23_153850.jpg

gallery_60_23_134947.jpg

gallery_60_23_65064.jpg

gallery_60_23_3505.jpg

Bly and our youngest went for a walk around the pond and they found literally thousands of little tadpoles. We had read that raising them at home is probably better than letting them stay in their natural habitat if cared for properly, so we let her take about a dozen home with us. We have all we need to feed and properly aerate the water, so we're hoping that they make it. My little one said..."when their tails fall off and the legs come out, we'll bring them back here to say goodbye". Very cute to hear that. Here's a pic in their new temporary home...

gallery_60_23_13892.jpg

All in all, we had a GREAT time out there. There was no whining, no bickering...just a lot of fishing, smiles, laughs and well, sunburns on bly and our oldest....serves them right for winning....LOL :lol: I put sunscreen on our little one before we left the house...hehe.

nice report!

those look like bufo americanus (american toad) tadpoles! they metamorphose quite quickly and also do well on boiled spinach or you can just use some algae pulled from local ponds/lakes. you'll have tiny toads in no time :)