Is 90 hp Enough?

leafs4ever

Made a purchase at the boat show, Princecraft 167 Sport (16.5 ft) and just finalizing the motor. Boat weights 1090 lbs and I was just wondering if I should pay an additional $1000 to go to the 115 hp, which is max rating. Both Mercury motors.

Any other thoughts on options would be greatly appreciated.

Just getting back into fishing (and some family boating activities) since my Dad passed in 1993 so it's a big learning curve for me.

This is a great forum.

The easy answer is boat's run best at max HP. I quit selling boats at the boat show because you need to sell these under hp, under trailer, crap fish finders and 12volt trolling motors to people that are not going to be happy.

There was a thread at the start of the boat show about what to expect, try to fined it.

It's on pg 3 Toronto Boat Show

Edited by Garnet

I would get the 115 for the price difference. You will run fine with the 90 when you are alone or fishing, but if it is going to be used as a familly boat, it will bog down when everyone is in it.

You will have a harder time getting out of the whole and your max speed at WOT will be affected more with the 90 than with the 115.

You will also always regrett not maxing it out in the first place.

90 if fine for a boat that size. It not like the package had a 60 on it! Spend the extra on electronics or an bow mount trolling motor, perhaps with ipilot! The 90 will be easier on fuel and the transom in the long run. Plenty to pull up a water skier....

The 90 and the 115 are identical... Same dry weight and dimensions, only difference I'm guessing is in the tuning. As for fuel savings? Maybe only at WOT, but it will take you a LONG time to see that $1000 in fuel savings. I'd rather have the extra ponies.

My buddy has the same boat with a 90 2 stroke and its a DOG to get on plane. Not bad once it up on top, but takes forever to get up and go. 3 guys and fishing gear, we have to put a guy in the bow to get on plane. Honestly, I dont think the 115 will be much better, but i'd definitly suggest getting it.

S.

My 16.5 lund moves pretty well with an old 70 johnson on the back.

Having the correct prop pitch is important.

Carrying a full load you may still want to have a little more balast placed in the bow! (Who has the most mass, to the bow with you, or I'll make you walk the plank!)

Good on you for rekindling as well as continuing the tradition! Good luck.

-------------------

done

Thanks everyone for the prompt responses. All very valid points, I really appreciate you sharing your experiences and knowledge. My wife not so much .... yes I changed the order to a 115 hp. She's okay though we're going on a cruise this weekend! I'm a bit of an opportunist.

Really looking forward to belonging to this forum.

Take care, it's cold out there today.

I have an 18' Fisher that maxes out at 115hp.

I bought it new with a 90 2stroke and have just upgraded to a 115 4stroke.

Performance and speed is pretty much the same between the motors.

So if you're talking either a 90 or 115 4 stroke you should see a fair difference with the 115.

As said both motors weigh the same so that is not an issue.

If you notice that when you get your new toy out on the lake that there are any performance/handling issues stick a set of Smart Tabs on and you will be amazed at how well they work for so little money. ;)

http://www.nauticusinc.com/smart_tabsSX_automatic_trim_tabs.htm

My buddy has the same boat with a 90 2 stroke and its a DOG to get on plane. Not bad once it up on top, but takes forever to get up and go. 3 guys and fishing gear, we have to put a guy in the bow to get on plane. Honestly, I dont think the 115 will be much better, but i'd definitly suggest getting it.

S.

Agreed

Another item to note is the pitch of your prop. I have a 17p and a 19p. I hit about 38mph @ 5500 rpm and can get up to 6000rpm with the 17p and I am up and out of the water almost as fast as I hit the throttle. With the 19p on, I will hit 40mph at 5100 rpm but getting on plain is a lot more difficult and I am unable to hit the 6000rpm redline. At about 5200, the prop starts taking air and has to be trimmed back down.

Selecting the appropriate pitch will give you better performance. I only have aluminum props, but if you want some more performance, you can upgrade to stainless.

Oh and the 4 strokes are all the same from 75 to 115. The difference between the 75 and 90 is the program on the ECM. The 115 has a different lower unit ratio and a restricter ring under the air filter is removed.

Just thought I would throw that out there.

Adam