most reliable small outboard?

Lunatic

So im hoping to spring for a new 15 or 20 hp outboard tiller for my boat. im just tired of throwing money at my '90 johnson. ive had my heart set on yamaha for some time.over the years ive had to rent boats and 3 that really stood out for me were yamaha's. they started quick,ran smooth and were quiet. but after digging around google and youtube ive seen a lot of people having issues with newer 4 stroke yamahas some were throwing thousands of dollars at mechanics and dealers to never have the problem solved. of course no motor is perfect and all have their issues,but im starting to get cold feet on the yammies. just looking for opinions on motors,im sure many of you have owned quite a few over the years, thanks.

Well, I can only chime in on what I have. I have very small engines a honda 9.9 4 stroke and an older yamaha 2hp 2 stroke.

Both have been great, usually start 1st or second pull. The Honda is super heavy (not sure if all 4 strokes are), but is super quiet, efficient and reliable. The yamaha has been a great engine as well. Hope this helps.

Edited by atvaholic

In that size range there isn't a bad engine out there. Yamaha, Suzuki, Tohatsu/Mercury (Tohatsu makes Mercury's small OBs), Honda, BRP, all make excellent, reliable small outboards. Each one has its fans and detractors, but all work well. What matters more is the dealership you buy from. Remember, post-sale service counts for a lot, and the lowest price isn't always the best deal.

I can only speak about the Honda. A camp I attend every May has the Honda four stroke 15 Hp with electric start and they are awesome. Pretty much bullet proof. One could only guess a camp boat probably gets abused throughout the season and these motors run great.

I just picked up a 2 stroke yamaha, new old stock from the last year of production. I am a big fan of yamaha power equipment, and I've not heard many complaints about yamaha, however I wouldn't turn my nose up at a Honda that's for sure. I'm not sure how good the Suzuki dealer network is.

2 of my 3 small motors are Honda's. None are 15 or 20 HP but the 2 Honda's are 9.9 and 5 HP and both are worth every penny! Now my other older 9.9 is another brand and it's been very costly for the past 2 years. The new 2 strokes are very fuel efficient too I understand so you might want to look at that option too. As a side note to the 2 strokes, it might weigh less too if you need to remove it to store it.

I went through this last year and ended up with a yamaha. Researched a bunch. I think the merc/tohatsu likely is the fastest due to gear ratio and displacement but didn't like the look and the twist grip shifter on the merc. Suzuki with efi is very appealing might be worth considering now its been out a couple yrs. The yammy has ran perfectly and very quiet. If I had to choose again I would consider the yammy or Suzuki. What issues have you heard with the yamahas?

Definitely worth checking each make in person, check how the trim works, shifter position, and if you need manual or electric. some electrics don't have pull start on those hp if you want both. One other thing to consider is getting close max hp rating on the boat. If you are comong from a 2 stroke the equivalent 4 stroke will be slower out of the hole.

One other thing to consider is getting close max hp rating on the boat. If you are comong from a 2 stroke the equivalent 4 stroke will be slower out of the hole.

hm,good to know.i dont see many dealers selling 2 strokes these days.thought i read somewhere they are going to stop making them?

hm,good to know.i dont see many dealers selling 2 strokes these days.thought i read somewhere they are going to stop making them?

They are very hard to find, and I believe that other than etec or maybe the merc salt water series they are pretty much out of production. It's the reason I just bought a 2 stroke yammy. My johnson is still running perfectly, but I wanted the yamaha for some time now, and I knew the supply of new old stock was drying up. If you find one, grab it!

I fixed up an old 2 stroke 15 Johnson for early spring operation. Has a tilt up feature for shallow water running.
Packs plenty of punch, is light and easy on fuel.
Also run an old 18 hp Johnson, 1958 vintage. Runs sweet as new. Not as easy on fuel, but I love it anyway.

4 strokes are OK if you are not taking them on or off the boat.
But they tend to be heavier and rob some boat capacity and operating speed.
In my mind, 2 strokes are king for smaller boats. Too bad they are getting hard to find in a wider variety.

O ya, still love my old 175 Ficht too.

I fixed up an old 2 stroke 15 Johnson for early spring operation. Has a tilt up feature for shallow water running.

Packs plenty of punch, is light and easy on fuel.

Also run an old 18 hp Johnson, 1958 vintage. Runs sweet as new. Not as easy on fuel, but I love it anyway.

4 strokes are OK if you are not taking them on or off the boat.

But they tend to be heavier and rob some boat capacity and operating speed.

In my mind, 2 strokes are king for smaller boats. Too bad they are getting hard to find in a wider variety.

O ya, still love my old 175 Ficht too.

my 90 johnson is an electrical mystery and i do have a working (roughly) 56 evinrude sportwin 10. this is a shame about the 2 strokes because i do take the motor on and off for when i go to places that do not allow gas motors.

Those early 1960 3hp were the best ever for that.
Twin cylinder smooth, lightweight and dependable. Dad has a collection of them.
I gave my old one to my duck hunting son. You know they are good when they get handed down through generations.