Ice fishing report

Fisherpete

A few fishies from the first few trips on the ice this year…

Quinte – Andrew and I caught 5 each – my first 5 eyes thru the ice.

IMG_5417_zps3ae5ea2b.jpg

IMG_1741_zps34a41a5f.jpg

IMG_4006_zps352918f0.jpg

IMG_5805_zpsa8b9a2ef.jpg

IMG_8113_zps3df9ad29.jpg

My new digs for this winter. 3 man Eskimo pop up. Love all the room inside.

IMG_6670_zps593937a8.jpg

Mmmmmmm propane flavoured weeeeeeeiners… nice to have something hot to eat while out there!

IMG_7228_zpsc7509713.jpg

Simcoe

Sketchy first ice… was 5” in one spot, then this 50ft away!

IMG_9259_zpse2210ebe.jpg

Nice one by Andrew

IMG_6369_zpsaba5599d.jpg

Beauty by Scott – top secret lure (not really) sworn to secrecy LOL

IMG_4127_zpsab656d15.jpg

Took my brother out for lakers for the first time – and he catches this on the first drop after I tutor him on how to catch one using the sonar… 33.5” that he fought to the hole, then had it run all the way back to the bottom in 110’! I got skunked that day while rassling with my sonar. Also got to meet two legends of the lake for the first time out on the ice – Brian and Terry – great to meet you!

Paullaker2_zps70cac19f.jpg

PaulLaker1_zpsa82c57ff.jpg

Next trip – my sonar issues now solved – I hooked 4 lakers, landed one 5-6 pounder, lost another at the hole and two halfway up. Probably had around 20 chasers throughout the day. Only marked what I am pretty sure was whities a few times throughout the day and could not get one to bite. It was my brother’s turn to get skunked, although he had 15+ chasers as well. Walking through the slushfest was a good workout on this day. Beauty day out there, very mild – I never went in the hut once thru the day.

Lovin’ the ice this year! Can't wait for one of those banner days when the chasers are all hungry!

JBailey - sorry for the late reply, missed your question. There was at least 9 or 10" of ice on my last trip to Simcoe - 6 or 7 black and 3 white. I'm sure even more after the cold weather in the past two weeks. If you are talking about that thin ice pic - my buddy said it was less than 2" in that spot with 5" less than 50 feet away! Scary stuff. Quinte had around 5 or 6 inches but that was almost a month ago.

Edited by Fisherpete