My new buddy-Buddy!

Rod Caster

Siberian Husky, 4yrs old, former sled dog, all shots/chips etc and I got him for $0.

He was aggressive to the other sled dogs so the owner considered him a financial liability (vet bills), but he's a melted fondu with people. I needed something around the property and so far he's doing great, unleased 24hrs too!!

He has a few traits that need to be worked on, like leaving my rabbits alone, better following the snowmachine and making sure he doesn't turn aggressive with food and strangers around, but other than that he's well behaved. He even followed me for 4kms off the lake yesterday and I was WAYYY ahead haha.

..and also my new Jeep. It was pretty good on the lake yesterday.

IMG_00000041_zps307693ff.jpg

IMG_00000036_zpsb8e8ea53.jpg

Edited by Rod Caster

That's a good lookin' husky, leaf4! Ours is 100% outdoor, but everything is already covered in hair, including the back of my jeep haha.

Buddy certainly has a mind of his own, he's very loyal and responsive, but in some situations the disconnect is obvious (like him knowing there are rabbits 100m from his house).

Right on chad! Jeep looks great!

Get a pair of cross country skis and a dog harness.. Your dog will love you for it, you'll get a great work out and have a blast!

Get the dog to pull you on the lakes. He'll go forever!

Edited by N.A.W

Nice dogs. I have had four of them in my life time. Two Siberians and two Alaskans. They are very loyal dogs and make great pets. Beware though they are very stubborn as well. They are happiest when they are working. My last one was a Siberian and he was awesome. I trained him to haul my ice fishing sled to and from the truck and he just loved doing that. They love to chase rabbits and squirrels etc and I could never figure out how to break them from that habit. I used to save his hair in the spring time when their coat blows out and a lady used to collect it and spin it into wool and make winter mitts and toques with it. Its all about repetition when it comes to training. They are eager to learn but only for short periods of time then they get bored and stop listening. That's when you stop and call it a day. They need lots of exercise or they will become disobedient and dig your yard up like there is no tomorrow. Good luck with him.

Our huskies are awesome dogs. No issues with them other than the old ms got pretty territorial in her old age(13). The other two girls are awesome. Only thing we had to work on was getting them used to our kiddos friends, which just took some time, and if something is dead in the bush, their both gone. Congrats on your dog, very nice looking! Nice jeep too!!!

Edited by manitoubass2

Thanks Fish' and Manitou'

I haven't yet, but I really want to get him pulling...anything. So far I've been establishing the ground rules and the hiarchy. Hopefully in the next week or so I'll get his harness on, cut some trees and make him pull the cuts back on a sleigh.

That's really cool about the mitts!! I'll have to google that.

Im posting this for your awareness and to raise a concern of caution should your new buddy have a strong prey drive because if i remember correctly you are living in a rural wooded area , This is my dogs ordeal with a porcupine...trust me when i say skunks are much easier to deal with...Beautiful dog you have ....enjoy the years ahead !

Caution ,,not for the squeamish

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.221274634662955.1073741830.109693065821113&type=1

Edited by Twocoda

Chad, would be possible for you to do some kind of review in a month or so? Thinking of getting new car and this one was on my list as well. Thanks

No prob!

Beauty dog.

Sorry to hijack this Chad,

Twocoda did Paxton lose the use of his left eye?

it's ok, those pics Twocoda posted are something else!! Sorry you and the dog had to go through that...yikes :w00t:

Buddy will certainly be a prey-chaser and yep, I'm in a rural-wooded area. I really hope this doesn't happen to him, I appreciate the heads-up, something else to think about.

The vets removed his eye on the 2nd of December...the last time i pulled a quill was just after christmas...sorry for the side track RC ...just wanted you to be aware of what could possibly happen..i believe i have resolved any further issues with porcupines around this property for the time being but should it ever happen again ...i wont put the dog through a severe ordeal like that again ...