big fines for wolf hunting charges

grt1

$72,500 In Fines For Illegal Activities

By CKDR News - January 13th, 2014 - 2:05pm

Photo11-people have pleaded guilty to a total of 68-charges and fined $72,500 for offences that took place at Andy Myers Lodge, on Eagle Lake, west of Dryden.

The charges stem from a two-year covert investigation in cooperation with the Ministry of Natural Resources, United States Fish and Wildlife Services, the departments of Natural Resources for Wisconsin, Michigan, New York and Minnesota as well as the New Zealand Commission of Wildlife.

Conservation officers discovered that Steve Herbeck, a former owner and operator of Andy Myers, and his staff encouraged clients to hunt wolves without a licence.

Court heard that staff then used their own resident licences to validate the wolf or arranged for guests to buy licences afterward.

He also allowed guests to fish without a licence and use more than the allowable amount of fishing rods.

Herbeck was fined $7,500 and his business was fined $27,000 for 22-offences.

He's not allowed to hunt in Ontario for ten years.

Six lodge employees have also been fined.

Danny Herbeck and Chris Federman were fined $7,000 each and can't hunt for the next four and eight years respectively.

The other employees charged were Andy Bouchard of Waldhof, Calum Rutchie of Waldhof, Tammy Pelletier of Waldhof and Scott Munford of Vermilion Bay.

Three lodge guests from Wisconsin, New York and New Zealand were also charged for various offences. (George Lindsay, Travis Runde and Don Rabideau Jr.)

Pretty light fine(s) considering. Should be put out of business. You should change the title of the thread to include Andy Myers Lodge so that it gets picked up better by google searches on the place.

Nothing shows on a google search of the lodge

They should all be locked up for that crap !!! That is disgusting !!!! ..... Yup should never be allowed to fish or hunt ever again !!!!! Ever....asshats

X2

$72,500 in fines..

I wonder... What does a 2 year covert investigation cost in ressources??!!

That's awefull...

I'd guess a hell of a lot more than the fines that were given. Good on them for doing their jobs and catching them.

Herbeck has sold the lodge and has made public announcements about that fact. I received the yearly newsletter from the lodge as I had been there years ago. Never again, however, even before I knew of this recent situation. He also says that he will be doing professional guiding for the lodge, along with his son, Danny. I highly doubt that he or his son will be doing anything in Ontario for quite some time, and that's a good thing. We now know the reason that he sold the lodge!

Herbeck has sold the lodge and has made public announcements about that fact. I received the yearly newsletter from the lodge as I had been there years ago. Never again, however, even before I knew of this recent situation. He also says that he will be doing professional guiding for the lodge, along with his son, Danny. I highly doubt that he or his son will be doing anything in Ontario for quite some time, and that's a good thing. We now know the reason that he sold the lodge!

The Lodges facebook page is currently stating they are using his services & those of at least three more of the convicted as part of their guiding team and Steve Herbeck is representing them at upcoming shows.

By currently I mean they have posted this on the page on Dec 18th & Jan 10th.

Although the press release just came out the cases were heard between January 15 and December 17, 2013 which is before the Lodges posts.

https://www.facebook.com/AndyMyersLodge

Edited by Woodsman

Yeah Herbeck is was pretty respected in the musky world, you've probably seen him on some musky shows. Pretty sure the "herbie rig" I ordered is Steve's product. Common Steve, gotta follow the rules! It's embarrassing and worse because the sport serves his profession. Obviously someone who doesn't respect the rules. I'm kind of glad he's exposed for it and made an example of.