some recent ice pics and an odd story

chris.brock

took the "slush buggy" out to the hut

100_2836_zps681304af.jpg

I planned on staying past dark to see if the ling would cooperate so I lit the red neck woodstove

100_2831_zpsfb454195.jpg

a couple lakers before dark

100_2841_zpse25c1cbe.jpg

a ciscoe too

100_2842_zps8e59ac72.jpg

all fish released

100_2837_zps2422f4d1.jpg

playing video games like Brian

100_2833_zps889778b9.jpg

after dark, I had fish regularly chasing the glo spoon, with minimal contact, I'm assuming these were ling, I tried a live minnow too but no takers

any ideas or input? I guess they could have just been not very active?

they totally stopped coming around about 1.5 hours after dark, and I didn't mark a single fish

100_2835_zpsad31e073.jpg

interesting story-

A cottage neighbor puts his hut out last weekend, lights his stove to warm the place, locks the door and goes to town for minnows. He had a 2 burner stove, he assumes 1 burner was lit, the other burner was on but not lit, just spewing propane. BOOM!

Somebody heard the blast and saw the fire, they assumed someone was in there, the OPP and the CO soon showed up

I was hoping to get a picture for you guys but he brought whats left of the hut home to see if he can repair it

Edited by chris.brock

Reminds me of a time back in the late '60s...a couple of guys asked us to keep an eye on their tent out on Lady Simcoe while they took their morning catch in to the local grocery store to sell...$0.45 a lb. for whitefish and $0.39 a lb for herring (the 2 lb size -sand herring?)

We heard a loud bang and when we looked there was steam pouring from the tent...seems they left a tin of Habitant vegetable soup (unopened) on the stove...looked like someone had barfed all over the inside...LOL

sorry for the dude but kinda strange...if burners are close, the one that's out would lit from the one burning, I've seen that on BBQs, his burnurs must have been far from each other...

Looks like it was a good way to spend an evening. Im going to try a night session soon. That is scary about your neighbour..guess thats why the instructions say something about not leaving it unattended and lit. Very lucky ! Was it a coleman style 2 burner?

yeah, coleman style 2 burner, the burners are fairly far apart, there was some air drafting in because he hadn't yet piled snow along the bottom of the hut, I'll try to get a picture of the damage up later

Hopefully your neighbor gets the hut back in working order before the ice melts!

Had a trip of trying to chase ling myself this week, and failed miserably as well!

I was able to catch a few lake trout well past dark - that was a first for me. They lazily came in and nipped at my glow spoon. I thought for sure those were ling until I reeled them up and heard the burping.

Let's compare notes over a couple of PM's about how you find the ling nearing the end of the season!