2014 off to a bad start...

mike rousseau

So headed out fishing today...

Hit a patch of ice in a turn and got a BIT sideways.... GENTLY bumped a snow bank with my rear end... Popped the bead on my tire...

No biggy.... New tires are ordered.... Just gotta put the spare on...

Jack the truck...

Remove the tire...

Drop the spare...

WRONG BOLT PATTERN!!!!!!!!!!!

The low life that leased the truck before me took the spare and rim and replaced it with a rim that dioesnt fit...

This is one of the dirtiest low life moves I've ever seen in my life... I'm just lucky where I was... If I was in the middle of nowhere I would have been in real trouble....

What is wrong with people....?????

Hit a patch of ice in a turn and got a BIT sideways.... GENTLY bumped a snow bank with my rear end... Popped the bead on my tire...

Jack the truck...

Remove the tire...

Drop the spare...

The low life that leased the truck before me took the spare and rim and replaced it with a rim that dioesnt fit...

This is one of the dirtiest low life moves I've ever seen in my life... I'm just lucky where I was... If I was in the middle of nowhere I would have been in real trouble....

Now are you sure it was some low life, or some plug at the leasing dealer.

Yeah the dealer would be my first call, as per the safety on a vehicle when sold it needs to be equipped with a safe spare, that was not followed through with

Good to know....

I'll call them... Get them to buy my new spare rim....

Edited by Mike Rousseau

Either way it's a low life move....

yep i agree. Yesterday our extension cord was stolen. It was -43. Fun times trying to start our vehicle. Also found out that our battery is in the worst place ever. 30+ tries to get a connection to boost. All that to get my boy to hockey. P'od me pretty good

I had to work this morning and I haven't been out fishing not even once this year... I don't like making resolutions but this year I intend to get out fishing and actually post a report here instead of just adding snarky comments on other people's threads... :)

Jack the truck...

Remove the tire...

Drop the spare...

That is a low life move whoever did it! Sorry to hear that!

yep i agree. Yesterday our extension cord was stolen. It was -43. Fun times trying to start our vehicle. Also found out that our battery is in the worst place ever. 30+ tries to get a connection to boost. All that to get my boy to hockey. P'od me pretty good

Just makes you want to smack someone along side the head doesn't it!

Yeah the dealer would be my first call, as per the safety on a vehicle when sold it needs to be equipped with a safe spare, that was not followed through with

From what I read in the highway traffic act the safety only applies to tires installed on axles...

That can't be right

Edited by Mike Rousseau

Any chance it wasn't a previous lease but a service error at the dealer or maybe a tire shop. I'd feel better if I didn't feel it wan intentional. For a thief to go thru the trouble of mounting another wheel/tire is a lot for a thief. Just thought I'd throw this out there.

A few years back my wife was backing our truck up to the edge of the lake to pull the boat lift out. It was then on that 'angle' that I noticed that we no longer had a spare under the truck.

It was either stolen, or ... worse, the cable rusted and it fell off somewhere.

Entropy

Any chance it wasn't a previous lease but a service error at the dealer or maybe a tire shop. I'd feel better if I didn't feel it wan intentional. For a thief to go thru the trouble of mounting another wheel/tire is a lot for a thief. Just thought I'd throw this out there.

Not a thief... Someone squeezing every penny out of his lease.... I'm pretty sure the original tires were switched out also because when I bought the truck at 42,000 km the tires were shot.... Worn right down... Dried out and cracked... Worked in new tires on the truck from the used dealer... I guess that should have been a sign to check the spare...

A few years back my wife was backing our truck up to the edge of the lake to pull the boat lift out. It was then on that 'angle' that I noticed that we no longer had a spare under the truck.

It was either stolen, or ... worse, the cable rusted and it fell off somewhere.

Entropy

I've heard that before... Tire just falls off....

or ... worse, the cable rusted and it fell off somewhere.

I drop my spare every spring & fall to clean, inspect and lube the cable & winding gear plus give the spare a good wash before cranking it back up.

I'll bet there's plenty of guys around that never even look at it until it's needed and then find the spare is either flat or the gear is seized up.

Just my thoughts anyways.

Edited by lew

I drop my spare every spring & fall to clean, inspect and lube the cable & winding gear plus give the spare a good wash before cranking it back up.

I'll bet there's plenty of guys around that never even look at it until it's needed and then find the spare is either flat or the gear is seized up.

Just my thoughts anyways.

Or they can't find that special little attachment that goes on the end of the rod to lower/raise the spare tire.

I been performing safety inspections for years; sorry guys a spare tire is not required.

There are many misconceptions regarding safety requirements; mostly stemming from techs reading things into the regs that are not there.

Here's a couple I always get a chuckle about.

The driver's side window must go down; as to be able to perform hand signals. There's noting in the regs that says the window must go back up. So if you have a window stuck up, throw a hammer through it and it now passes inspection.

Exterior lighting you must have high and low beam headlights and a rear license plate light and that is all that is legally required; if the vehicle is under (Don't quote me I haven't looked it up lately) 20 feet long and 7 something feet wide.

Yea that's right; signal lights, brake lights and marker lights are not required; but the driver's window must go down to perform hand signals. LOL

Dan.

I been performing safety inspections for years; sorry guys a spare tire is not required.

There are many misconceptions regarding safety requirements; mostly stemming from techs reading things into the regs that are not there.

Here's a couple I always get a chuckle about.

The driver's side window must go down; as to be able to perform hand signals. There's noting in the regs that says the window must go back up. So if you have a window stuck up, throw a hammer through it and it now passes inspection.

Exterior lighting you must have high and low beam headlights and a rear license plate light and that is all that is legally required; if the vehicle is under (Don't quote me I haven't looked it up lately) 20 feet long and 7 something feet wide.

Yea that's right; signal lights, brake lights and marker lights are not required; but the driver's window must go down to perform hand signals. LOL

Dan.

Some of our laws are so stupid you wonder who wrote them and how much they got paid for doing it. One I always got a chuckle out of is " you can't drag a dead horse down Young St. in Toronto on a Sunday" (any other day of the week is fine I guess).