1988 Yamaha Enticer 340

kenzy31

I just picked up the above sled for ice fishing this season. Great little machine, good shape, and got a good deal on the price. I have a few questions for those that know.

1) Should I remove the oil jug right away and go with mixed gas? I did this on my mid 80's Johnson 60hp outboard a few years back for fear of blowing it up!

2) I'm getting a little low on my compression reading -- 100lbs in left cylinder and 105lbs in right. They're within the 10% of each other but should I be concerned about the actual readings? Bear in mind I just bought a $30 one from Part Source.

3) Does anyone have an Enticer they've modified for ice fishing? Help give me some advice! I'm looking for backrest and cargo basket ideas :)

Thanks for any help, cheers!

Jesse

that's a great little sled, likely one of the most reliable models ever made, me and my friends had a few of them over the years

I have an older Bravo and Phazer now,

we never went to pre-mix, and never had any oil injection failures, but I'm sure it has happened,

as for the compression, sounds a little low, if it's hard to start, the engine may need some rings at least

give these guys a call about a backrest

https://www.royaldistributing.com/

Great choice for an ice fishing sled in my opinion.

1. I would check that the oil injection is working and if it is, i would leave it hooked up and use it. I find mixing fuel a major pain but that is more of a personal preference i guess. Yamaha Enticer is a pretty simple machine to work on and ensure injection is functioning.

2. With those compression reading, I would consider a top end rebuild in the future at some point, but i would run it as is for the season. I believe new rings and piston should put you up around 130lbs.

3. can't help you with the ice fishing mods but have seen dozens with built on boxes for gear and auger racks.

Good luck and enjoy. Very durable and light machine. Perfect for the ice.

Cheers

Craig

Oil injection issues was more with the 3 cylinder Johnson's/omc. If your concerned you could just put a mark on the bottle and keep an eye on it to make sure its using some.

The compression is a little low but it could run for long time yet.

You could rebuild the fuel pump as the diaphram is probably getting old. Fairly easy to do just make sure you clean both surfaces well. you could use a razor blade.

My friend just got one, I think it was an 83. Cleaned the carb, rebuilt the fuel pump, and its running like a champ. Such a fun sled!

Here's my older ride.

img_0204_155snowmobile.jpg

As for:

Sold my 1993 Skandic II 503R and picked up a 1988 Tundra LT. I will miss the pulling power but my 10 year old will love driving it around at the hut. The 503 was too heavy for him.

I thought to operate a snowmobile on public property you have to be 12 years old minimum with a motorized snow vehicle operator's licence (MSVOL).

Here's my older ride.

img_0204_155snowmobile.jpg

As for:

I thought to operate a snowmobile on public property you have to be 12 years old minimum with a motorized snow vehicle operator's licence (MSVOL).

Say what? After raising 3 kids I have never heard of such a thing..I always thought as long as its insured and plated your fine no matter who is driving it..Never had an issue ever with police or the wife.....lol My kids grew up on sleds.

Edited by tb4me

I remember my son getting his MSVOL so he could drive around with his grandfather on the trail when he turned 12... and still had to have an adult drive it across highways to be legal if I remember correctly.. or the MSVOL was so he could drive it across the highway drawing a blank on that one.

Edited by irishfield

He is only allowed to drive it around the shack. Never goes off the lake and never out of eye sight. We have had OPP and C.O.s around and they never said anything. It may not be legal but it is minimal risk if any. Now if he was on a 800cc sled ripping around then I am sure it could be a problem.

Read this post this morning and it inspired me to pull the old girl off the trailer. Been sitting for damned near 4 years. all the gas evaporated in the tank. Dropped some oil in the cylinders and pulled over a few times. Put in some fresh gas. Couldn't get the primer to pick up fuel. Frigged around for half an hour priming and pulling. Then it dawned on me.......fuel shut off valve.... :wallbash: Opened valve and primer picked up right away. First pull and she fired right up. Noticed a whole lot of smoke and oil around the exhaust manifold. seems 4 out of 8 bolts had rattled loose and 3 of the remaining 4 were loose. Guess the mechanic who rebuilt the engine 5 years ago didn't think to tighten them or use thread lock. So off to the hardware store for bolts, lock washers, brake kleen, gasket maker, thread lock, and some prestone to top up. Cleaned up all parts and put back together. Will fire it up tomorrow or sunday and give her a go. Now to find the ownership and get insurance and get on the ice.

2_zps0cb84ded.jpg

He is only allowed to drive it around the shack. Never goes off the lake and never out of eye sight. We have had OPP and C.O.s around and they never said anything. It may not be legal but it is minimal risk if any. Now if he was on a 800cc sled ripping around then I am sure it could be a problem.

Although I believe you ensure everything is done safely, if an an accident occurs, even if your son is completely without fault you will be open to lose everything you own plus if a law suit happens.

Driver to carry documents

16. (1) Subject to subsection (2), every driver of a motorized snow vehicle shall carry his or her driver’s licence or motorized snow vehicle operator’s licence and evidence of the motorized snow vehicle’s registration at all times while operating a motorized snow vehicle and shall produce them when demanded by a police officer or conservation officer. 2000, c. 30, s. 7 (1).

Exception

(2) A person shall not be required to carry any document referred to in subsection (1) while operating a motorized snow vehicle on lands occupied by the owner of the motorized snow vehicle. 2000, c. 30, s. 7 (1).

&

Owner may be convicted

24. The owner of a motorized snow vehicle may be charged with and convicted of an offence under this Act or the regulations or any municipal by-law regulating, governing or prohibiting the operation of motorized snow vehicles, for which the driver of the motorized snow vehicle is subject to be charged unless, at the time of the offence, the motorized snow vehicle was in the possession of a person other than the owner without the owner’s consent and on conviction the owner is liable to the penalty prescribed for the offence. R.S.O. 1990, c. M.44, s. 24.

89 Mach 1, classic muscle sled

back in the day, a cottage neighbor had that sled, I loved the way the rear suspension would squat down when accelerating, and he would wheelie and carry the skis for 300', very cool

Yeah I need to get the clutch done. Can't get over 72 mph. My buddy had one in high school that would do just over the 100 mph mark

Here is a pic of old reliable from a few years ago. If we get enough snow this year, I might clean her up and crank her over.

000_0012.jpg

I think that's the best looking Phazer paint job (red/ white), my buddy had one with a radical porting job, it ran like a scared rabbit

here's my old Phazer II

100_1573.jpg

This thread is a blast from the past for me. I bought a brand new early 80's 300 cc Enticer. The blue one. What a fun and dependable machine it was. My Buds all bought the 340's, but I could take them all off the line and barely fall behind them in a long run. Fun days for sure.

This thread is a blast from the past for me. I bought a brand new early 80's 300 cc Enticer. The blue one. What a fun and dependable machine it was. My Buds all bought the 340's, but I could take them all off the line and barely fall behind them in a long run. Fun days for sure.

my brother had the same sled (1980, blue/ silver, blue seat), it looked cool because the hood was the same as the ET 340, but the seat and tunnel were shorter making it look stocky, bullet proof

Thanks for all the replies guys!

I'll run the sled as is for now, keeping a close eye on oil consumption and compression. If I get below 100lbs I'll prob crack into it, but until then it'll get some use :)

I'll try and get a couple pics today and post them up

This isn't my machine but mine was identical to this one.

1984 Skidoo SS25 anniversary edition.

It was 2 years old when I bought it in '86 and was like a rocket ship back then but is like an antique compared to todays modern toys.

ss25.jpg