Im tired of the news and now local FF

misfish

it really was a sad, despicable propaganda crap those firefighters were spouting

kids were playing hockey 20 ft off shore on solid 5" black ice and those stupid, self important firefighters were standing there insulting the parents...

I use to respect them but it was a lie on top of a lie to make the news, Sandy Stevens with the fire department. is a moron

While I do agree, don't go if you don't know. We constantly check the thickness of the ice when we venture out. But people speculating on the thickness of the ice from shore can get really frustrating. The kids were skating on 5 inches of ice, plenty safe above the guidelines recommended. As for the locals putting the thoughts of unsafe ice, did they actually go out and test the thickness? These are the opinions from lack of knowledge, it makes everyone else that has taken the proper precautions look like we deserve the Darwin award. Even the Fire Department measured with inadequate tools. Take the butt of an axe handle and "eye it" to the bottom of the ice, ya there is safety for ya. That is just like a police officer pulling you over for speeding and the officer gives you a ticket for doing 20 km/hr over the speed limit because it "looked" like you were going that fast! I guess in the total scheme of things though, it makes for good news.

You do know why they say that there office space? So they can focus on other things in life rather then people reading an online report about "safe ice" and have to spend all day endangering themselves because someone 'read' something online saying it was/is safe.

you don't chip one one and tell people it is not safe, they have no idea what they are talking about

they say it because they can not because they know what they are talking about

they are morons

Brian and I chipped 50 holes and augered another 50, we earned the right to say we knew the ice that day

they chipped one hole, they are lairs, story tellers scare mongers

Edited by Terry

you don't chip one one and tell people it is not safe, they have no idea what they are talking about

they are morons

Brian and I chipped 50 holes and augered another 50, we earned the right to say we knew the ice that day

And where exactly were you? I want to know.

This board is "lurked" by hundreds potentially.....so I read what you just wrote thinking the whole lake is safe, I go out and I go through and drown, because I read your report saying its safe.... And the firefighters are irresponsible????

Edited by Chotchkies House

did I say the whole lake was safe

I thought I said everywhere I went and the middle is safe and where the kids were playing hockey

if I said the whole lake was safe that is wrong

over by the river could be dicey

but I was talking in response to what the fireboys said, one hole and they knew what was what

and every day things change.......so what I say today has no relevance for the next day/week

and if you are stupid enough to think because it was safe one day that you can just walk out there, then my advise is take up knitting, icefishing isn't your thing

and tell you where we were not a chance, until the news report we did not tell anyone what lake we were on

Edited by Terry

I don't think the season (month) has anything to do with when or when not to go on the ice. If it has been cold enough to make 5" of ice, I would consider that safe. I watched the newscast and was embarrassed by it. I'm sure the parents checked as they went out, as did the fishermen, spud, walk, spud, walk. Pretty simple.

I agree with you Brian and Terry, and I would follow you out there too!

If everyone did what they were supposed to almost no one would fall through the ice. Sadly, we all know too well, this is not the case.

An interview with someone out on the ice might have provided some balance. As the norm with most news the "story" was already decided and they just wanted some sound bits for it.

And if they weren't going to interview someone out on the ice they could have mention/demonstrated how to check the ice as you go out.

And where exactly were you? I want to know.

This board is "lurked" by hundreds potentially.....so I read what you just wrote thinking the whole lake is safe, I go out and I go through and drown, because I read your report saying its safe.... And the firefighters are irresponsible????

If you you out on ice and don't check as you go December 8th in ontairo it's your own fault when you go through nobody else's. get a grip.

Wow I had no idea people cared about a firefighter report on the news so much. If it bothers you so much why don't you just flip to another news channel? If anything the report benefits you as now there will be less people on the lake and therefore less fishing pressure?

Do you think I can't read or something? Who said there was 1.5inches of ice out there? I said, anyone who WALKS ON 1.5inches of ice deserves a Darwin award.. The forum police need to lay off the eggnog.

x2 :whistling:

Thanks for the laugh Bill :canadian:

they are morons

Your the guy that SHOULD have to foot the bill when you get rescued! Please enlighten us on ice water rescue and safety ?? What's safe and why ? Different ice types ? What's involved, Resources etc .....

50 chipped holes and you've earned the right to be called the little lake ice legend LOL.

it really was a sad, despicable propaganda crap those firefighters were spouting

kids were playing hockey 20 ft off shore on solid 5" black ice and those stupid, self important firefighters were standing there insulting the parents...

I use to respect them but it was a lie on top of a lie to make the news, Sandy Stevens with the fire department. is a moron

"Self important Firefighters"

Please elaborate ........

Its not hard to tell whos a firefighter here LOL

Im with brian and terry here. If the fire guys didnt go out and check the ice, who are they to say whether its safe or not? I bet most of them dont know a whole lot about safe ice, except the Bull the media tells them.

Im not bashing firefighters, but what that guy said was just wrong, period.

S.

So MANY funny sides to this I'm just LOL for real!

Not winternet posts that I can see yet here BUT when you have invalid points being posted you can see why some what to defend their side of the story. IE, ice being 1/32" thick vs 4' type of posts. Go test it...

For me, this Crothless House person has YET to say anything worthwhile EVER on this site so I just L at them. Then you have Joey and many others (of whom I have not met F2F yet) that post and I take as reasonable to great info.

So we ALL should take what we read online as 2% true.

Catch anything?? lol. Sorry. I kinda understand both sides. Me and a bunch of buddies just had this same debate over the weekend. We are all avid ice fishermen and only two outta seven were willing to venture out and we are almost four hours north of Barrie. To each their own. Everyone's comfort level is different but I don't think the FF was being misleading. They were being overcautious maybe. They said to stay off all lakes. I'm guessing at least 7/10 bodies of water around Barrie are unsafe like here...and 7/10 people watching that news story don't know better.

this doesn't have any relevance to the debate, but some readers might find it interesting

when I was young, we skated on thin ice quite a bit, the cool thing is that the ice gives you plenty of warning, first some cracking, then more cracking, then the toe of your blade goes through a couple times,etc

it's not like you're going in on a break-away and suddenly disappear with a splash

anyways, this was interesting, after-work read, everybody seems pretty fiesty