Black Friday. (NF)

limeyangler

So anything crazy happen??? Stateside or here? People should have to wear Ninja suits and carry they're best weapons to Black Friday each year.

Anyways, It was kinda stupid. It is stupid. Wife gets caught up in it this year and wants to go to Bayshore in Ottawa. See the line of cars from the parking lots down two roads. Nope I says, drive straight through to Carling Ave, hang a left, and head straight to the LoneStar for fajitas and a beer. Much easier to deal with. :good:

Way home looked for deals at Walmart, Best Buy, Future Shop & Costco... deals didn't exist. Some crap here and there was on sale though.

we all scramble around for"bargains" but i can't help getting the feeling we are being royally screwed whatever the price. Just this morning for example….looking on amazon.ca for a scuba lens for my GoPro. Amazon.ca is 2x the price as Amazon.com!!!!

What the heck is that all about….just nonsense…

http://www.amazon.com/Backscatter-Flip-Up-Magic-Filter-GoPro/dp/B00BUE43EE/ref=sr_1_2?m=AAJAT2UT3Y69Y&s=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1385906463&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.ca/Backscatter-Flip-Up-Magic-Filter-GoPro/dp/B00DCTZ6SW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385906199&sr=8-1&keywords=Backscatter+Flip-Up

No amount of "oh its the tax we pay here" , or, "oh export/import cost", or "currency fluctuation" psychobabble has me convinced that it is anything other than being held ransom because "what the hell ya gonna do about it BUDDAY?". Well, i'm not sure what i can do about it….but i am definitely getting to the point where not doing anything is no longer an option…hopefully more people will feel the same and then WE can effect some change…cuz this is crap.

I need to go fishing.

Disgusting;

http://www.blackfridaydeathcount.com/

Who in there right mind would go to any store on Black Friday is beyond me. In my opinion if you wouldn't normally buy something at the regular price and on Black Friday the item is 25%-40% off an inflated retail price, why all of a sudden go out of your way and risk your life to give away your money???

Makes no sense and I pity Black Friday shoppers, however I really do think it's also a reflection of the American culture.... As we've all seen scenes on the news of poor people in third world countries fight and scramble for food as if its there last, we have Americans fight and kill for an x-box, kitchen towels, and plasma t.v's .... A true sad state of affairs.

Disgusting;

Who in there right mind would go to any store on Black Friday is beyond me. In my opinion if you wouldn't normally buy something at the regular price and on Black Friday the item is 25%-40% off an inflated retail price, why all of a sudden go out of your way and risk your life to give away your money???

Makes no sense and I pity Black Friday shoppers, however I really do think it's also a reflection of the American culture.... As we've all seen scenes on the news of poor people in third world countries fight and scramble for food as if its there last, we have Americans fight and kill for an x-box, kitchen towels, and plasma t.v's .... A true sad state of affairs.

Broad statement, I'm American and Black Friday is not part of my culture. Wonder how many Canadians that live close to the borders that get in on that shopping action?

Broad statement, I'm American and Black Friday is not part of my culture. Wonder how many Canadians that live close to the borders that get in on that shopping action?

So your saying excessive consumption is not part of the Amercian culture then?

I'm sure there were thousands of Canadians that went cross boarder to shop Black Friday, however every year many people get injured and some even die all for the bargoon's to be had. I'm not one of those people, and believe people should value their time more than wasting it on shopping for crap they most likely can live without.

Edited by Chotchkies House

So your saying excessive consumption is not part of the Amercian culture then?

I'm sure there were thousands of Canadians that went cross boarder to shop Black Friday, however every year many people get injured and some even die all for the bargoon's to be had. I'm not one of those people, and believe people should value their time more than wasting it on shopping for crap they most likely can live without.

Seems as though with every thread you get involved in you have some kind of negativity to throw around.....you have a choice as to whether or not to participate in everything in life, perhaps take a look in the mirror before you criticize others. Personally I don't get involved in overly hyped consumerism on either side of the border either but taking a general whack at all of our friends for something that is overly glorified by the media and for the actions of the few morons is short sighted, at best! Just sayin'...

I have been to many Black Friday sales I would park my transport and head in with the others. Usually I would be in Ohio and never had a problem like the videos I guess like Phil the other buckeye folk know how to safely have a good sale.

I am guessing that there are alot of good Canadian Boxing Day sale you tube videos out there.

i live right on the us border, and no thanks. Black friday is not for us for a number of reasons. A few neighbours of mine went and came back with.... Tvs. These are people that already have 3-4 tvs in their households lol. Is it really a deal if its something you dont need? Hahaha Edited by manitoubass2

I absolutely agree with you Whopper……this is not an American(USA), Canadian or British phenomenon it is unfortunately symbolic of a global malaise, that of consumerism, yeah…we need stuff….want stuff….but at what expense? Our values? What if anything are 'our values' these days? I see and here peoples' consumerist values everyday……"i buy my kids all the best clothes" = i am a good parent? I THINK NOT.

Ok…i am going to go and get some minnows now so my wife can drill me a couple of holes outside the house( sucks having surgery on your arm :whistling: ) so we can spend the last few hours of the weekend goofing around in the snow out on the lake!

I wish that people who see just a small portion of a countries acts or places would not leap to the assumption that the majority subcribe to that thought or action. The media from what I read is so miss informed and slatted as to be little use to judge a Nation by. This go both ways it is not just a Canadian VS US assumptions. Live a week in a situation before you judge the situation. We had a great Black Friday here in my neighborhood with no tramplings or horrible things happening. While it is not something that I attend I did run out for some sandpaper and a few blades for the bandsaw and guess what it was normal as can be in the stores I went to. If you find you need to cast stones to make yourself feel better than you neighbor then you are living life wrong. If you feel you live in a better place then good for you telling someone that they live in a place that you dislike when you haven't ever lived there is just asinine.

Sorry for my rant but really people think before you type it will make the winter go a lot smoother.

Art

I wish that people who see just a small portion of a countries acts or places would not leap to the assumption that the majority subcribe to that thought or action. The media from what I read is so miss informed and slatted as to be little use to judge a Nation by. This go both ways it is not just a Canadian VS US assumptions. Live a week in a situation before you judge the situation. We had a great Black Friday here in my neighborhood with no tramplings or horrible things happening. While it is not something that I attend I did run out for some sandpaper and a few blades for the bandsaw and guess what it was normal as can be in the stores I went to. If you find you need to cast stones to make yourself feel better than you neighbor then you are living life wrong. If you feel you live in a better place then good for you telling someone that they live in a place that you dislike when you haven't ever lived there is just asinine.

Sorry for my rant but really people think before you type it will make the winter go a lot smoother.

Art

I guess when you account for the size on the us, and the dispersal of its population, 7 deaths and many more injured is actually pretty insignificant and not an example of what Black Friday is like across the US. I mean yeah I understand that stuff like this is glorified and doesn't happen everywhere but from from my POV, it's still pretty pathetic that this happens year after year.

No where was I being specific to where you live and shop, but yourself as a Yank, got to be as disgusted and disappointed by these incidents as I'm sure a lot of Canadians are.

Edited by Chotchkies House

Hey Art, not sure if your referring to my above post or not, but if so I wasn't taking a shot at anybody, just commenting that I would never shop in any store where folks were going nuts over a few saved $$$$

it is the media, local station had lots of coverage of fights and trampling, shots being fired and doors and windows being busted out while waiting to be first in the doors in the USA

while it is a very small number, it makes for great news. As you can see people eat it up

no not at any one specifically I read ALL of the threads and it seems people are drawing assumptions across the board. It seems to get hairy around here when people don't see that few things are black and white and the color gray is the correct path for most people to take when they are discussing opinions.

cheers

Art

this is not an American(USA), Canadian or British phenomenon it is unfortunately symbolic of a global malaise, that of consumerism, yeah…we need stuff….want stuff….but at what expense? Our values? What if anything are 'our values' these days? I see and here peoples' consumerist values everyday……"i buy my kids all the best clothes" = i am a good parent? I THINK NOT.

Can you email this to my wife Simon, and possibly let us know when you'll be doing your next seminar. :worthy:

Good point sir.

Seems as though with every thread you get involved in you have some kind of negativity to throw around.....you have a choice as to whether or not to participate in everything in life, perhaps take a look in the mirror before you criticize others. Personally I don't get involved in overly hyped consumerism on either side of the border either but taking a general whack at all of our friends for something that is overly glorified by the media and for the actions of the few morons is short sighted, at best! Just sayin'...

That does seem to be his style unfortunately.

Personally I hate crowds so this type of shopping is not for me...I recall a couple years ago I went to BPS on Boxing day not a lot of fun 30 minutes too find a parking spot and over a hour to get out of the parking lot.

Never again!!!!

Edited by lookinforwalleye

Went to the Canadian tire sale on the Thursday and picked up the synthetic oil, mats for the cars, an aluminum work platform for painting and a small compressor for my father in law for christmas.... all practical stuff I needed but at a better price than normal... while I'd like a new TV, my ten year old lcd is just fine for now.... our computer is on the fritz but money will be tight this year so need to come out of the holidays with zero credit card debt.. I was watching the news and there was a long lineup for coach purses but it was orderly and civil...not sure how anyone can consider a Chinese made purse a bargain at $150.. but that's just me..lol. besides, where is the savings if you have to put it on credit and pay interest later.. our boxing day sales are sometimes as crazy as the American black Friday sales but I never hear of any violence associated with it......

Disgusting;

You have obviously never experienced the thrill of the bargain hunting mob at Honest Ed's.