60hp tiller motors

scugpg

Do you troll a lot with your main motor...?

Cause the smoothness and bells and whistles are geared towards trolling in my opinion... That's why I love my new yammy.... I troll 90% of the time...

Another thing to consider... If you can get decent money for you current motor now... Cause if it craps out... Then you lose that money... It won't be worth anything...

If you have the $$$ I'd get a new one... It's nice having a reliable newer motor on the back... That's what will get you back to shore... And someone else will enjoy what's left on your current motor....

good points...usually only troll for muskie a couple time a year and use the electric for walleye trolling. but if the new one will troll down better might use it more. I agree I'm still dealing with a 17yr old motor if I run into issues down the road.

I just upgraded my motor this winter. While its certainly not a 60, my reasons where that I wanted a little more horsepower, and brand new reliability as I spend a fair amount of time on the water in the shoulder seasons and reliability is critical. Third, and most important is that I could afford it. I went with a yamaha, and I imagine I'll be quite satisfied, as I have been with the other yamaha products I own. My old motor was a Johnson that was in perfect running order, so it wasn't out of nessecity, but just good timing and the right price off season. If I had the chance and the cash to move from a merc to a yamaha, I would do it to sure! Good luck!

If I'm running a 60 hp, which I do, it's going to be on some decent size water. I'll take "Windshields for $10.00 please Alex". DING DING DING!! Daily Double. Whats the best thing ever for running across a lake at 30+ mph? That would be a windshield.

I upgraded my motor last summer.

Went from a 1991 90hp 2 stroke to a 2013 115hp 4 stroke.

There is a huge difference in performance. The 4 stroke starts much easier than my 2 stroke (especially when the temp is at or below zero).

The 4 stroke is very quiet and gets twice the gas mileage of the 2 stroke.

Another plus is the plugs don't load up while trolling like the 2 stroke did.

The new 4 strokes have the ability to fine tune the trolling RPM which is a big bonus.

I have a Merc with Smart Craft gauges which allows RPM adjustment but the Yammies also have the same ability even the tillers.

If I'm running a 60 hp, which I do, it's going to be on some decent size water. I'll take "Windshields for $10.00 please Alex". DING DING DING!! Daily Double. Whats the best thing ever for running across a lake at 30+ mph? That would be a windshield.

Why Dan I think I hear you saying Console over Tiller he he he.......let the debate begin.

Art

I had a 50 hp fs yamaha for ten years....zero problems, quiet, great on gas

Bought a 60 hp yamaha, and traded in the 50......after 4 years, same results.

In my youth, we had several Mercs....all were troublesome, although that was some time ago. However, I was fishing with a guide off Sanibel Island in Florida about 8 years ago, and he referred to the Mercs as black anchors....most of the guides had Yamahas.

Maybe Merc has improved since, but, for me, the choice is easy.

I had a 50 hp fs yamaha for ten years....zero problems, quiet, great on gas

Bought a 60 hp yamaha, and traded in the 50......after 4 years, same results.

In my youth, we had several Mercs....all were troublesome, although that was some time ago. However, I was fishing with a guide off Sanibel Island in Florida about 8 years ago, and he referred to the Mercs as black anchors....most of the guides had Yamahas.

Maybe Merc has improved since, but, for me, the choice is easy.

My Merc is made by Yahama. Zero problems here as well.

I have a 2013 60 hp Mercury 4 stroke and added the Big Tiller Handle. I previously had a 50 hp Mercy 2 stroke.

I did gain more speed and better hole shot with the 60 hp. But I was mostly wanting the added fuel economy.

The Big Tiller works great, with the trim and tilt and shifter right at your finger tips.

The boat is a Alumacrat Navigator 165 and runs about 35 mph with 2 adults and fuel. I also went with the 4 blade prop.

You should also check out an Evinrude Etec or Suzuki tiller they both come with standard trim and RPM controls on the handle. Evinrude has the best warranty of any manufacturer.

if you are only interest in merc or yam. Definately go with the yamaha...