New world record tiger-Muskie caught !!!! 44lbs !!!

fishindevil

I have a 25 pounder hanging on my kitchen wall. I caught it in Skugog in 81', before I learned catch and release.

The report states;

"The tiger muskie was examined by a fishery biologist with the Idaho Fish & Game Commission before being certified as a new state record. The fish was certified as a new world record by the Modern Day Muskie World Record Program. For more information about Kalinowski’s record catch, "

I would presume in order to be examined by the biologist the fish was killed. That is sad. Unless the post mortem examination can further the science of the species that is rare I have come to learn and it's death would not be in vain. If it's not rare I haven't seen any before or since. Are they rare?

By the way the mount was done by Joe Martin from the Hamilton mountain that is an award winning taxidermist back in the day and did fantastic work. I hope Joe is still around and still doing his fantastic work. Fish Farmer if you are reading this you would probably be aware of Joe and his work. Is Joe still with us I hope?

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Great fish :worthy: I may be mistaken but I think Tigers are a sterile hybrid, so it's death is not affecting the gene pool. I recall they are used to reduce populations of unwanted species in lakes , used because they can't create an established population. Esox's version of the splake :tease:

Edited by dave524

Yes Hybrids are sterile, so harvesting is not really an issue or a concern, but they still are a musky, and the Zone rules that apply to musky also apply to hybrids, they are one beautiful fish for sure, the concern in the Kawartha's is the Kawartha musky have been identified as a unique strain of its own, and for thousands of years, have never had to share the same waters with Northern Pike, which are now present in the Northern K Lakes namely Balsam Lake where a 50 1/2 inch hybrid was caught by a MCI member in 2011, and also more recently 2013 to be exact in the Otonabee river below lock 19 where 4 Northern Pike have been caught and confirmed. In waters where Musky and Pike have co-existed its usually a non-issue, but in the Kawartha's it could and can be devastating, with the more aggressive and dominant Pike winning the battle for both food and spawing locations. Crowe Lake in Marmara is a prime example of this, and one project that the members of MCI K Lakes Chapter have been working on PIP (Pike Invasion Project) is to help identify true esocid spawning sites namely Musky, by seine netting and trap netting potential spawning sites for YOY (young of the year muskies)

I've read that some Tiger's can in fact reproduce, but it's rare. Apparently males are always sterile but some of the females produce egg's and can reproduce as normal and spawn again with pike.

That Tiger is ridiculous... wonder if any Canadian waters have a beast like that swimming around.

I've read that some Tiger's can in fact reproduce, but it's rare. Apparently males are always sterile but some of the females produce egg's and can reproduce as normal and spawn again with pike.

That Tiger is ridiculous... wonder if any Canadian waters have a beast like that swimming around.

with all the un fished lakes its highly possible