Any plumbers,need help with quote

Chance

Yes they dig up the lawn ,pipes are down 6.5 to 7 feet.Replace that 4 foot section and clear all the roots etc from the remaining drain pipe from house to the street.

once done a city inspector has to come by and give it the nod before it can be backfilled. I have never had any experience with this before and it just seems like a huge chunk of change for what is being done.

I think the quote is very high, unless it's below concrete or asphalt, even that's high. Just today I was having lunch and a pal got 2 quotes to replace a 36' section of weeping tile, properly, one was 12K the other was $5600.00. Both from reputable contractors.

It requires a permit here in Haldimand county. You need a $100.00 permit to change a toilet here. The reason I'm told is to ensure the waste line is 4". Please don't get me started.........

And how do you know the pipe is broken? Have you had a camera down there? I think your getting hosed myself. There's no way I'd pay that much. I'd do it myself. Rent a machine, dig it up, replace the "broken" section, inspect, and backfill. Could be done in a day if the inspector is available.

S.

Just had this done on a job site today. Only difference was broken water line.

3 men @ 40/hr X 7 hrs = 840.00

excavator @ 65/hr X 7 hrs = 455.00

material - 150.00 +- = 150.00

disposables = 100.00

total of : 1545.00 plus HST

I was looking at the quote and refigured it for what it is worth down here,

1 mechanic @ 85.00 x 7 hr = 595.00

2 helpers @ 40.00 x 7 hr = 560.00

excavator @ 125.00 x 7hr= 875.00

mat 100.00

10% misc 125,00

tax 4% material 4.00

2259.00 total

I don't see any issue with the quote the set up time and the break down time for the job is 3 hours. profit on the job is 650.00 if you don't count set up or breakdown plus waiting for the inspector and tying up the equipment for an extra day.

Art

I am in Hamilton.

They came last night with a 300 foot snake and a camera.Snaked the drain and then put the camera down.Came up with a mass of tree roots and after the fact the camera was put down the drain.

I just spoke to another plumber,friend of a friend and after a lengthy description of what was being done he said that quote is decent. He said the company i choose are licensed to do the work and being right beside a huge tree adds to the hassle. I dont mind paying if that is the going rate I just dont want to fund someones vacation .

Backflow valves are great but in my understanding if the problem is between the street and your house the backup must go somewhere. i would guess out the toilet ,might be wrong but it makes sense to me. I will ask the plumber about it today and if it will help I will be getting that installed as well.

I am in Hamilton.

They came last night with a 300 foot snake and a camera.Snaked the drain and then put the camera down.Came up with a mass of tree roots and after the fact the camera was put down the drain.

I just spoke to another plumber,friend of a friend and after a lengthy description of what was being done he said that quote is decent. He said the company i choose are licensed to do the work and being right beside a huge tree adds to the hassle. I dont mind paying if that is the going rate I just dont want to fund someones vacation .

Backflow valves are great but in my understanding if the problem is between the street and your house the backup must go somewhere. i would guess out the toilet ,might be wrong but it makes sense to me. I will ask the plumber about it today and if it will help I will be getting that installed as well.

A backflow preventer stops sewage from the street backing up into your house if there is a blockage out side of the house.

If there is a blockage down stream of your house the backflow preventer will close and keep all of the upstream homes sewage from entering your home. They are installed in the main line in the basement just before the line exits the home. It should also keep sewage from backing up into your home if your line gets clogged although it will still overflow through your basement drain or toilet if you don't stop using your water/toilets until the clog is repaired. The same is true if the clog happens down stream. But it will keep you from having a messy clean up and insurance claim.

As I was reading the thread a good friend whom is a licensed contractor from Hamilton calls and I get him the specs on this job and he tells me tough to quote without seeing the job but anywhere from 2.5K to 5.5K. So what do I know? I won't be answering any cost related questions for construction any time soon.

Chance,

Go with the backflow check valve, no brainer, I don't know where you are in Hamilton but you know that with the overstressed older sewer system and treatment plant on Woodward and add in all the new construction a backflow valve in that city is a must in light of all the flooding seen almost after every heavy rain. Especially in the east end.

just have to stay up on the mountain where it's not smelly!!! haha I kid, but up on the mountain I don't know of anyone having a flooded basement, in binbrook now that's another story...

haha, it's amazing at how quickly these new homes go up that cost upwards of $3-400,000 and the infrastructure hasn't been updated since who knows when, a time ago before there was a lot less than the now 5,000+ people there now,

that's for sure

Edited by leaf4

just have to stay up on the mountain where it's not smelly!!! haha I kid, but up on the mountain I don't know of anyone having a flooded basement, in binbrook now that's another story...

haha, it's amazing at how quickly these new homes go up that cost upwards of $3-400,000 and the infrastructure hasn't been updated since who knows when, a time ago before there was a lot less than the now 5,000+ people there now,

that's for sure

And don't forget 1 lane in and 1 lane out. Those city planners are off their rockers. There are still farms on the outskirts of Stoney Creek and thousands of acres between 53 and Binbrook but they jam a few thousand townhouses in a village, with 1 lane in and 1 lane out. That's supposed to be progress?!!?? Well they added about 4 stop lights, that helps with traffic?

And don't forget 1 lane in and 1 lane out. Those city planners are off their rockers. There are still farms on the outskirts of Stoney Creek and thousands of acres between 53 and Binbrook but they jam a few thousand townhouses in a village, with 1 lane in and 1 lane out. That's supposed to be progress?!!?? Well they added about 4 stop lights, that helps with traffic?

exactly, the closure of upper mount Albion was absolutely ludicrous too, rush hour go by the school zones near gatestone, dartnall Pritchard nebo are all seeing heavy heavy increase because of the lack of planning, just gotta shake my head and work a new quickest route lol

Edited by leaf4