Automobile GPs

Roe Bag

I found the TomTom to be a little more user friendly than my Magellan. However, the TomTom did stop working a little after one year... that may have been caused by an issue with my trucks electrical system.

I found that they are both pretty accurate for North America. I was sent the wrong way on a one way street once. Most seem to have life time updates now.

Edited by JohnBacon

I’ve been a Garmin Nuvi user even before I started to drive. I’ve been extremely happy with it. With that said, there was one time I was instructed to do a U-turn on the 401 while going eastbound after entering the city of Oshawa (jokes aside, I’m being serious).

I’m also not a fan of the newest narrator on my dad’s latest Nuvi unit. She sounds way too demanding and doesn’t seem like she finds satisfaction in her line of work.LOL

Costco has Garmins at a good price. i got one with a traffic feature that uses FM traffic signals to choose least traffic routes. Seems to work OK in Toronto. i have used both tomtom and garmin They are both good. I like tomtom interface better, but they are both easy to use. Get one with lifetime map updates.

My wife has had a TOM TOM for several years but it bit the dust. Seems to be internal. Won't power up. With her sense of direction she can get lost in a parking lot. I guess it's time to go shopping.

Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.

Actually looked at a Magellan at my local CT store this morning. It was $80 off. Was hoping for some feedback on those units. Seems Garmin and TomTom are more popular. Garmin being the leader in this mini poll.

If the weather tomorrow is as nasty as they say, I'll do the circuit. Future Shop, Best Buy, Costco and CTC.

Thanks again to all.

CTC has the Garmin 44LM (life time maps) on special this week for $139.00.

I have had Garmin for years now and find it very helpful but not always 100% accurate. The "fastest time" isn't always the fastest time but it is really good at getting me where I want to go.

Just did a trip and here's my results for GPS's. I always take my Garmin and another fellow always takes his TomTom.

My garmin showed us on the road the whole time, the Tom Tom usually showed us as off the road, but in the general area.

On this trip we had no Cell service for days and days, so the smart phone thingy is not for me.

Now where we were was pretty hard to get actually lost, as there was really only one Hwy, if you could call it that. Never been on a Hwy that was all gravel and mud before. Hahaha.

My garmin showed us on the road the whole time, the Tom Tom usually showed us as off the road,

My wife's TomTom did that often as well. Seems the Garmin just went to the head of the class.

Nothing but wind and rain here today. Good day to go shopping..

Thanks again guys.

I have an iPhone, and absolutely love it.The Maps feature is ok when pre-planning a trip.

But I have to say that it does not replace a good GPS in any way. First off you can't be watching it all the time while driving. 2nd it does not announce turns etc. 3rd it does not give re-routes when you screw up, and lastly my GPS displays the speed limits where I am. I have a heavy foot, and have saved money when it warns me. (Fines) That happens often when I'm heading to the GTA.

Plus, I have taken it when traveling to Florida, NY, PA, Ohio,Hawaii, or Alaska, and it has been extremely accurate.

So for my money, I still rely on the GPS. I have had both Garmin and Magellan. I prefer Garmin.

Thats my .02c

I have an iPhone, and absolutely love it.The Maps feature is ok when pre-planning a trip.

But I have to say that it does not replace a good GPS in any way. First off you can't be watching it all the time while driving. 2nd it does not announce turns etc. 3rd it does not give re-routes when you screw up, and lastly my GPS displays the speed limits where I am. I have a heavy foot, and have saved money when it warns me. (Fines) That happens often when I'm heading to the GTA.

Plus, I have taken it when traveling to Florida, NY, PA, Ohio,Hawaii, or Alaska, and it has been extremely accurate.

So for my money, I still rely on the GPS. I have had both Garmin and Magellan. I prefer Garmin.

Thats my .02c

You need to update you iOS. Voice command and voice directions, traffic and construction alerts etc. way better

Picking up a cheap or used 7" android tablet with NavFree. You get free GPS that works without DATA fees etc.

You also have a fine e-reader, movie viewer, email etc.

I have an older Nexus 7 which works awesome for GPS.

Once out the car it comes with me and then its Navionics time for the boat!