Back to basics pays off!

Rustic-Fisher

Had a couple hours to kill this afternoon so I figured I'd take my son down to "his fishin hole" as he calls it.

While he ate lunch I tied a few roe bags and answered every question a 3.5 year old could throw at me about fish eggs and bait.... the questions never end LOL.

We loaded up the truck after lunch and within minutes we were at the "fishin hole" !

I rigged up his 7' ultralight with a bunch of split shot and a roe bag and explained how we were going to cast out into the pool then set it on a stick and wait for the rod to start bouncing meaning we had a fish.

Using this method allows dad to make a few drifts with his gear :whistling:

Within minutes the boy has a nice 1.5 lb bow on the end of his line (perfect size for him)

after a brief fight its beached and he's ready for more . This very same scenario plays its self out a few more times in the next hour with me helping him land a few more of the little guys.

In between his fish i manage to make some drifts with my pin, and don't even get a tap!! the kids schooling me :worthy: .

Like clock work his bottom fishing set up fires off again , he screams got one and goes to start reeling it in

but something is different this time . The little Stradic 1000 starts screaming and line is peeling off towards the head of the pool. The kids got a tank on !!!!

With the help of dads arms wrapped around him he starts trying to reel with both of us managing the rod and reel. Moments later after a carefully managed fight we land our monster.

The pics don't do this fish justice, it was a tank. In the 20 plus years I've fished this system this fish is one of the big girls for our area.

She gave us one hell of a fight on Ultralight gear, an even better fish story, and a memory that will last a lifetime!!

Its funny, I spend so much time worrying about shot patterns, leader diameter, floats vs flow , and all of the other fine tuning that every steelheader thinks about yet at the end of the day a few chunks of lead with a hook and roe bag produced one of the biggest fish we've landed in awhile . Must of been the stick we fished the rod from.

steelie3.jpg

steelie2.jpg

steelie1.jpg