Tried a new fluorocarbon line, I don't like it!

Big Cliff

Always looking for an extra edge and willing to experiment, this year I tried a new fluorocarbon, Berkley's Vanish Transition 6 lb test. I do not like it at all! First off, it tangles very, very easily and in about a week of fishing I have lost most of my spool.

I sent an email both to the Canadian and the US reps for Berkley; haven't heard anything from the Canadian rep but the US rep did respond and asked me to send them the remaing line and spool and they would replace it. I thought that was very nice of them. I'm not sure I'll bother, the cost of getting it down to them would probably cost as much as the line and since I am not happy with the product, I probably wouldn't use the replacement anyway.

They did however send me some information on fluorocarbon lines, wish I'd read this before I bought the line.

I thought I'd pass this along for anyone that is thinking of trying it.

What should anglers watch out for when using Vanish Transition?

There are several “inherent properties” of fluorocarbon that require special attention for anglers to fish Vanish Transition successfully.

• Knots – The Trilene Knot has been found to effectively tie the most consistent and strongest knot. Tie all 5 wraps when tying the knot, and excessively wet the line before clinching the knot. Due to the fact that fluorocarbon builds up friction heat faster than nylon, the wet line will help to prevent heat from building up and weakening the line. Always test the knot before fishing.

• Stiffness and Coils – As manageable and castable as this best generation of Vanish line is for a fluorocarbon, all fluorocarbons are still stiffer than nylon due to the fact that they do not change in water – they do not get any more flexible when wet. This requires more attentiveness to the line when casting, and a finer “balance” of tackle. If heavier Vanish line is used on lighter rods, reels and lures, anglers will experience more difficulty. The following is recommended when selecting Vanish Transition for various reels:

o Spinning Reels, sizes 1-4, up to 8 lb. Vanish Transition

o Spinning Reels, sizes 5-9: 10 to 14 lb. Vanish Transition

o Spincast Reels: up to 12 lb. Vanish Transition

o Baitcast Reels: all sizes Vanish Transition

• Casting with Baitcast Reels – baitcast reels may require additional adjustment for the extra momentum created by the heavier weight of Vanish Transition. Adjust the mechanical brake to the weight of the line and lure for maximum casting distance and minimal tendency to overrun.

In fairness, I did land several nice walleye, a large musky, and a huge carp on it this past weekend but for now, I think I'll go back to my 6 lb mono, it's done well by me for many years.

Cliff, floro is not for everyone. Myself I use it as a lead,and not on my whole spool. I like the mono/floro combination that P-Line offers.Maybe give that a try. I have no bad things to say about it. It gives you the mono feel but with that vanish you want.

Sorry to read you had a bad experience.

Still a whole season to try something else new. :Gonefishing:

I had the same experience with Vanish. It performed terribly, braking all the time. I thought it was the knot strength, old line or knot quality until I tested the pound strength and found it almost half of the rated strength on several different spools of the stuff. I now use Seaguar Pro and found it much closer to true line strength and has better knot strength. I only use flouro for a tippit now and prefer Ultragreen for the main.

Good luck

Alan

I dunno, but it sounds like operator error to me BC. I've been using Vanish for years and love it!!! I do have 2 reels spooled with the transition and quite truthfully don't like it as much as the regular Vanish, not because of managability. I really don't think it turns as clear as the regular Vanish, as I don't seem to catch quite as many fish on it as opposed to the regular. However it is alot easier to see to tie knots and for using with baits that need to have the line watched (plastic worms and lizards)

If you have happened to have bought a bulk spool and need to dispose of it, please send it my way!

Thanks Uncle Buck, that's an excellent link. Guess it kind of reinforces my findings.

Misfish; since I usually only use 4-6 lb test mono I'm not sure a fluorocarbon leader would be much of an advantage for me, I'm thinking that my knots would become a weak link. Based on that report Uncle Buck sent, knot strengths are not that good. I guess I could go up to a higher strength mono but why bother. That P-Line sounds interesting though, I might look into that.

Thanks for the replies! Every little bit of information helps.

GCD, you could be right about the "operator error", what strength do you use? A friend bought some vanish in the 6 lb and he is having the same problem as I am. From the information that Berkley sent me, they don't even specify the 6 lb test and start with 8 lb. I often use 4 lb and seldom anything heaver than 6 lb mono and do not have any problems with it.

Sorry, I only bought a 250 yd spool to try but you can have what's left!!!!!! Come and get it! :devil:

I tried 6 lb Vanish a few years ago. It took me 5 minutes to find all sorts of things that I hated about it. I sent it back to Berkley with a nice letter telling them what I thought of their line and added that Fireline was great stuff.

They sent me back a new spool of Vanish and a spool of 6 lb test Fireline. I took the spool of Vanish back to the store and got a refund. Yeah....I'm worse than Scrooge.

I have my reel spooled with I believe 8 lb Vanish. ITs the gold coloured one. I honestly bought it more to check out the vanish preoperty of the line than the fact that it was Fluoro. I have to say that I personally like it quite a bit. I have never had any issues so far with it. When I put it on last season I was pretty much only fishing for pike. Right off the bat I was sceptical to using this line for pike since you can feel that it is quite a thin line with a small diameter to it. I wasn't concerned about the strength of the line, but I was very concerned (since I rarely use a leader for pike) that the pike would chomp right through it. Happy to say that on the few outings I used it last fall, I never had it brake or a pike bite through it after catching 4-6 pike without retying. The vanish factor of the line is really cool and Ive had ppl comment on it not knowing it was vanish. One more thing, I remember that the biggest difference I noticed right away was that I was casting much further and the line was spooling off extremely easily and slick.

I recently went back to mono on the lighter (8lb and 6lb) lines ... I miss the stretch (give) in the line .... I also found alot of issues with fraying ... a little fray quickly turns into a broken line ... I am used to avoiding 'nicks' in mono .. but this fraying business was starting to PMO ...

I do love the vansh for ice fishing especially straight off the spool ... but for my whisker 1300 its back to 6lb green mono for me ...

:Gonefishing: I've used it and like the stuff .. but it's nothing to write home about I have'nt caught or lost more or less fish because of it..I 've returned to using Spider Wire on my Baitcast outfits and good'ol Trilene XL and XT on my spinning outfits.. i use my leftover Vanish Fluoro. for leaders in rocky areas for Walleye.

I say it's user preference.

GOOD LUCK FISHIN!!

:Gonefishing: Randy....

I've been using the Vanish Transition for a year now & have no problems. You must make sure you spool it on the reel properly else you will get line twists. My buddy had the line twist problem because he spooled it wrong & I haven't had that problem. For knots you need to use nothing but a polamar knot & nothing else. The Trilene knot is useless for fluoro.

I tried the regular Vanish a few times over the years in different pound tests and didn't care for any of them. 4, 6, 10, 14lb were used and my findings were

- First time out on the water, each line performed great, no problems other than a little more memory than regular mono.

- Second time out on the water (usually next day or 2 days after first trip), the lines would coil like mad and would fray on basically everything - eg soft weeds, sand, gravel - Forget about using near zebra mussels.

- At home I performed my own abrasion tests - Lines in 4-10lb test frayed while I cleaned the grime off with a moderately damp paper towel... WTH! I also had it fray on grass while doing some distance casting in the local park.

- Knot strength (both wet and dry) was horrible using various knots - Trilene knot, polamar knot, clinch knot, improved clinch, grinner knot, uni knot, and uni to uni knots to braid.

- Fresh lines would mysteriously snap on the initial run of a carp, 25ft up the line.

Other cons

Too expensive to fill an entire spool with - Especially a large baitrunner, big-pit or larger spinning reels.

Better off sticking to other brands of fluorocarbon IMO. I'm having my best experiences using other brands of fluorocarbon (eg Siglon and Scientific Angler) as leader/tippet material and hybrid lines like P-line.

I agree with what has been said about vanish. I find its great for icefishing, or vertical jigging. I think casting with it really weakens the line for whatever reason. Its ok for leaders, but that's about it.

Sinker

I tried Vanish when it first came out, seems like it hasn't changed according to your results Cliff. :rolleyes:

I really don't see the use of spooling up with the flouro they have to offer. The way I see it, its meant for leader material.

I used 12 pound VANISH on my carp rod & reel, and found it was well named, because of line twists & break-offs (had the consistency of piano wire) it 'VANISHED' within a week from my reel. I next went to 15 pound P-LINE . . . . and still use it, casts well, and other than having it cut off by zebra mussels, never had a carp (or salmon) break it in a straight tug-of-war yet! What I prefer over ALL others . . . . ANDELINE, pretty hard to come by, very inexpensive, and a touch thicker that other lines of equal strength, but excellent right from 4 pound to 20 pound! I got the P-LINE for just under $25.00 (330 yards) taxes in, but the ANDE runs about $15.00 . . . . . for 900+ yards!

I have used 4 lbs. Berkley Vanish for steelhead since the product came out. I have never lost a fish to a knot failure. My outfit consists of a 12 foot noodle rod, very soft action, not sure if the soft action will help by putting less stress on the line. I do have tro agree with the coiling issues the line creates, can be aggrevating at times.

Cliff - How has the fishing been on Sturgeon? I will be coming up next Friday with the family for our holiday weekend and will be staying up the lake from you at Gil Mar. If you see a blue and beige Starcraft Islander (NY registration), give me a shout.

Tom

This spring I bought a spool of Seagar florocarbon and a spool of Cajun Red Line to use as leaders for steelhead fishing. I can say with confidence that the Cajun Redline fooled the steelhead and the florocarbon did not. I literally watch the steelhead move out of the way of my in coming drift when using the florocarbon but they smacked it when I was using the the Red Line.

I admit there may be other factors at play there but I had it happen numerous times on different days.

I have never had a real full of either until now. All my walleye rigs are spooled with the 8lb RedLine. We'll see how it performs this weekend. I am heading out at noon today. Have to get there either to get the good camp spot. Everything is on fire up here so there are very few lakes to go to, that are not under Area Order by the MNR. It is going to be a busy weekend. Crap!

If I have any bad news about the red line as a full spool line then I will make another post after this weekend. Up to now I have only used either as leader material.

I also tried the Vanish a few years back. I didn't like it and promptly switch back to mono.

I literally watch the steelhead move out of the way of my in coming drift when using the florocarbon but they smacked it when I was using the the Red Line.

They were likely moving out of the way of your float and shot, not the flourocarbon leaders.

Tony

No float, I was fly fishing. My tippet was long enough so the trout most likly did not see my shooting line. But it is likly that it did see my shot, what little shot I was using. Like I mentioned, could have been other factors not just the line. All I know is I won't use it again. Redline seem to do the trick for me.

Tom, fishing has been a little slow, we have had several cold fronts in a row and not much rain until the last two days. Bright days, clear water, and cold fronts, and post spawn stress all combined to make the walleye shy. It is supposed to warm up in the next few days, we've just had two days of rain, I think you could be hitting it just about the right time, I expect the action to start to pick up over the weekend and it should be in really good shape about mid week. Drop by if you get a chance and if you run into any trouble out on the lake with boat problems or anything, give me a call. 705-328-0750 ( that goes for any OFNr, if you are fishing Sturgeon lake and run into any problems, I'll do my best to help out.

Now back to the fishing line; I must say while I was not impressed with the product I sure am impressed with the support I have been getting from Berkley and their Canadian rep. Pure Fishing.

I'll let you know more once all the facts are in but they are sure trying hard to help me sort things out and that means a lot to me!

Cliff, Thanks again for the information, if I am in need of any assistance I will give you a shout. If time permits I may swing by, all depends on how much of my time is committed to the family. Extended forecast looks favorable for next weekend, hopefully it will hold up.........

Thanks again,

Tom