My new (to me) fishfinder. Anyone used one....any good?

limeyangler

That's an LCX-16 not an X-16. ;)

The X-16 was an awesome paper graph made in the late 80's early 90's.

14734%20X-16%20Paper%20Graph%20-main.jpg

Couldn't tell you about the LCX-16 but my X-16 was very good back in the day.

As for map chips for the LCX look on Ebay. ;)

Thanks Dave....i knew i could count on you to help...lol. :wallbash::dunno::tease:

That's an LCX-16 not an X-16. ;)

The X-16 was an awesome paper graph made in the late 80's early 90's.

14734%20X-16%20Paper%20Graph%20-main.jpg

Couldn't tell you about the LCX-16 but my X-16 was very good back in the day.

As for map chips for the LCX look on Ebay. ;)

I've still got my old 1510b Lowrance graph down in the basement :canadian: Don't have the heart to pitch it, bought in 79 I think back when Shortwave Marine was still on Stavebank, they really made them back then, no plastic case,real metal case, ran it all thru the 80's the heydays of salmon fishing . I think I paid for it about the same as a new HDS 5 today, with inflation they'd be over 2 grand today :wallbash:

Those X-16 graphs were amazing !!! But the price of the paper rolls were expensive I remember that !!! But they were a powerfull unit and you had to constantly turn it on and off to conserve paper !!!! We would go through a roll in a day of salmon fishing on Lake Ontario !!!! Ahhhhh the memories

Simon, I have an LCX 25c. It's just a tad newer than the 16. What you'll need to do is do a software upgrade to the unit. It's simple to do online. The upgrade (if it hasn't already been done) will get you the capability to run the classic marine charts and perhaps even the gold charts. In your particular case, I don't think that the marine charts would be very useful. The hot maps are what you want but I don't know if the 16 can take them. There are a few experts around who know that stuff off the top of their heads....guys like Jocelyn Leung. A phone call would be well worth the time. The very worst that could happen is that the chips are not compatible and you're left with one of the best sonar units still available on the market. Let me know if I can be of any help.