Saw this yesterday... wasn't impressed.

Locnar

I may have taken the wrong govermint route here,but it still comes down to our natural resources is not being protected properly. Cutting back when we pay to play,is just wrong. Millions of dollars are paid out by outdoors men. It,s time we got back what we pay for.

Sorry for being one that love the outdoors and our resources.

Edited by Misfish

Millions of dollars are paid out by outdoors men.

You're right and a lot of the people who do this kinda crap every year likely aren't buying a license. If the MRN hired one additional CO next year to work the GTA tribs in the fall and the kawartha lakes in the summer that person would collect enough in fines to pay his salary, travel expenses, etc.

You're right and a lot of the people who do this kinda crap every year likely aren't buying a license. If the MRN hired one additional CO next year to work the GTA tribs in the fall and the kawartha lakes in the summer that person would collect enough in fines to pay his salary, travel expenses, etc.

I've been saying that for years.

Between the east tribs, and kawartha lakes, one guy would be running his butt off trying to keep up!!

S.

a lot of the people who do this kinda crap every year likely aren't buying a license.

I disagree - if I were to guess this person knew what they were doing and probably had a $2,000 setup with the newest ( insert main stream centerpin/fly reel company name here ) gear on the market.

Yea pass me a govermint. Now that's funny.

Unless these "Russians" were wearing a military uniform how can one tell exactly what nationality they are? Could they have been Ukrainian, from Chechnya, Belarus , Kazakhstan, Croatian, Serbian, Macedonian, from Ohio, maybe Polish or Greek, I sure can't tell until I recognize the language, which isn't easy as for me as I don't speak any of those. Including Ohioan.

If they really were Russian I would be careful they might have been former KGB and those guys are pretty tough I hear.

To be serious with everyone having a phone in their pockets today why not call something you see illegal in? If I hear the excuse they don't come anyway it makes us as ignorant as the poacher. It is illegal to spoil game fish the last time I read the regs.

To kill a fish to harvest the roe to kill another fish is as illogical and insane as it sounds. 20 years ago you walk up to a guy and tell him " pal, that's illegal you might want to think twice about what your doing". Today you might catch a bullet for your efforts. So get out your smart phone, take a picture of the license plate of the car, a picture of the "Russian", call a cop, call a C.O, but do something about it or don't complain it's happening all around you. Yes it's frustrating being told to push 20 numbers before you get a human on the phone, it's infuriating, you can't even order a pizza without going through a 6 digit directory in New York City or L.A. But it's life today as we know it. Is anyone willing to pay triple for a fishing permit if it guarantees someone answer the phone? I don't think so.

I love this site, it can be educational but sometimes we need to look in a mirror and ask ourselves who's being ignorant. Stupidity is a DNA thing ignorance is turning a blind eye and then complaining laws are being broken and nobody is doing anything about it. Or pegging someone of being a certain nationality when we really don't know for certain, and does it really matter where they are from? I remember asking my grand father when I was a kid, what part of the Mafia we were in because we are Italian, come on man!

Edited by Old Ironmaker

To be serious with everyone having a phone in their pockets today why not call something you see illegal in? If I hear the excuse they don't come anyway it makes us as ignorant as the poacher. It is illegal to spoil game fish the last time I read the regs.

yeah, I hear ya, but

I go fishing to fish, be outside, relax,

not to be a 1 man army, or get into fist fights on the Coboconk dam

point taken though,

Chris,

Stuff like this sure drives me nuts as well. Watching 10" Smallmouth and Largemouth going into a cooler, same goes for year old Walleye and hammerhandle Northerns. It sure isn't illegal but should be. All the legislators in the world can't make a law banning stupidity. I hear about the fist fights on the piers along Lake Ontario this time of year. It seems fishing for some is simply a cheap way to feed a family and in these economic times, can you blame a guy for feeding his kids, I can't. Times are tough, wars have been waged across the annals of history over fishing rights. I don't believe it was that long ago a Canadian Coast Guard vessel or one of our Navy ships had to put one across the bow of a Spanish fishing vessel somewhere on the east coast.

This is becoming nuts as someone said the population is growing far too quickly in southern Ontario and I must add the poverty rate is soaring. And I also agree as someone here said they will just close all the Ontario tributaries to everyone and designate them sanctuaries so as to not have to police them.

It's just sad we have to talk about something like but this is the age of more, more and I'll have some more, smart phones, cars, trucks, SUV's, bigger houses, bigger TV's, bigger toys, bigger breasts. If I was younger and could see into the future I would have found a spot where no one could find me and my lady and lived off the land, after I bought shares in Microsoft!

As Kim Mitchell said " lets go for a soda where nobody hurts and nobody dies". I don't think that place exists anywhere as the greyer I get the more cynical I become.

In this great age of instant communication, twitting, teetering, texting, twatting or whatever they call it nobody talks to one another, it's too gd hard.

Rich,

That's a tad deep for me this time of the morning when 60 year olds should be sleeping. Now where is that portal phone I need to get back to the "Mothership"?

Zeitgeist: The Movie

Available for full viewing on youtube..

We're already on the mothership. :lol:

Slit open a fish, take the eggs... Leave the rest to rot... I presume they're using the eggs as bait for other fish? And then what, they do the same thing, kill it, take the eggs, catch another, and repeat? Am I right about that? What's the point?

Somebody explain this to me, please? I mean, I could understand if it were a pike, but this is an edible fish we're talking about.

Slit open a fish, take the eggs... Leave the rest to rot... I presume they're using the eggs as bait for other fish? And then what, they do the same thing, kill it, take the eggs, catch another, and repeat? Am I right about that? What's the point

Pretty much dude - free bait. Lots of people doing it to be honest, can't go fishing without seeing a split open fish especially during the salmon run. Ever heard of roe runs DanA? A group of guys will band together, get New York licenses, head down for 3 days. In New York, you are allowed to keep 3 browns a day, therefore each guy gets 9 fish after those 3 days all for roe. Now some will defend themselves and legitimize the situation by saying "Its a put and take fishery" however that doesn't justify the fact they are raiding the fish just for the eggs, at least thats how I see it. Last year fishing in a well known area in New York had a couple people ask me if I'm there just for the eggs and some random Canadian guy ( setup with the expensive jacket, rod, reel ) say "I cant stand fishing here" only to leave with 3 big brown hens. As if it was a chore for him to be fishing...

It was a joke :P (but also true).

Answer the serious part of my question!

Now, to play devil's advocate.. it seems silly to slit fish for bait, to catch more fish, for more bait..

Though I'm sure for some it's just as silly to go out day after day, chase fish, spend countless dollars on equipment simply to take a picture and put a fish back. Not to mention ignore mortality rates in the process.

Just seeing the coin from both sides.

My sister is a costume designer, Im gunna get her to make me a knock of CO uniform for halloween and then wear it when im out on the water, I wont talk to anyone or anything but from a distance maybe just maybe it might make some people think. lol ! Neighbourhood Watch II.

I sure miss my uncles dark green dodge ram in the 90's we would pull op on a creek and people would scatter...

Pretty much dude - free bait. Lots of people doing it to be honest, can't go fishing without seeing a split open fish especially during the salmon run. Ever heard of roe runs DanA? A group of guys will band together, get New York licenses, head down for 3 days. In New York, you are allowed to keep 3 browns a day, therefore each guy gets 9 fish after those 3 days all for roe. Now some will defend themselves and legitimize the situation by saying "Its a put and take fishery" however that doesn't justify the fact they are raiding the fish just for the eggs, at least thats how I see it. Last year fishing in a well known area in New York had a couple people ask me if I'm there just for the eggs and some random Canadian guy ( setup with the expensive jacket, rod, reel ) say "I cant stand fishing here" only to leave with 3 big brown hens. As if it was a chore for him to be fishing...

The glorious bounty of those southern shore beauties! Gotta love it. Although I gotta ask, you'd rather see guys taking eggs from wild, self sustaining fisheries or put and take stock fisheries were no natural reproduction occurs?

As for that roe being 'free', you really need to factor all the costs involved with going down there and fishing.. Free isn't exactly a term I'd be using.